Notices

Glass damage, dealer run around?

Old 03-21-2019, 08:45 PM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Glass damage, dealer run around?

Looking for some thoughts and general input here. Long story short I just bought a CPO 991S sight unseen from a dealer in Memphis which had passed all the CPO inspections and whatnot. Deal was done over the course of 3 days and only during hand off to my hired hauler did my guy notate and alert me to a chip in the windshield.

The moment I got the vehicle and got behind the wheel I noticed it was right there at eye level from the driver's seat, and rather distracting. I notified the dealer of the damage, to which they said something to the effects of oh sorry, we meant to get that filled before delivery. I tell them I'm concerned about the location of the damage and potential distortion of my view if it were to be filled, I said I'd take it to Safelite to be assessed to which they said sure. First thing Safelite said was yes, we CAN fill it, but we WON'T due to the location of the chip it's a safety liability. I had the written quote and explanation sent over to the dealer.

At that point it became a 3 day wait as they "escalated it" to sales mgr and now GM. Today I get a call from the GM to the effect that well, Safelite is the business of up-selling replacements instead of repairs, they are going to have someone the local Porsche dealer uses for repairs call me, come inspect and assess. This person reached out to me this afternoon, requested pics and set up a time to come see it Saturday. However upon seeing the pics I sent over the first comment was "I'd say that looks fixable". I looked this person/business up and they appear to ONLY do repairs, not replacements, which obviously I'll ask pointedly in person come Saturday.

I'm wondering if I'm not getting the run around on this bc they don't want to step up, do the right thing, and get it squared away through their insurance. Am I overreacting? Pics attached of the damage.

Last edited by shootermcgavin; 03-21-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:33 PM
MiamiBlue
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

That is a bunch of crap! Odd that chip/crack like that would pass CPO. "We meant to get it fixed,..." Well, you didn't,....

I do not think you are overreacting. I would be mad as hell. I wonder how dealer/salesperson would like to purchase a car with a crack in the windshield??

Your right they should have replaced via insurance.

I hope it works out.

Last edited by MiamiBlue; 03-25-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hrm. Here in Florida the insurance co would replace w/o a deductible, etc. Law even specifies factory part.

Would suck to have to do it, and yes, the dealer should've caught it. If replacing the windshield is the fix, I'd still want the work done local-to-me just in case the next rain storm shows issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glass damage, dealer run around?