Notices

Vehicle sitting at dealer a loooong time. What should I have them check/replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 04:00 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Vehicle sitting at dealer a loooong time. What should I have them check/replace?

Posted this in the Panamera forum but there seems to be more traffic here so...

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a new '18 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo. It's been at the dealer since October of 2017 (!) and yes I am getting a great deal

Besides the following, are there any other items I should have them check or replace?

-update all software to the latest versions
-perform any and all recalls (have there been any?)
-check tires for flat spots
-new battery
Old 02-09-2019, 11:37 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

When did they punch the warranty date?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

If you are getting that great of deal you can still ask for anything you want but you may not get anything, but the list you have it what I would ask for albeit you will not get new tires!
Old 02-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 495 Posts

I would think the hoses may have rotted; and small rodents have have taken-up residence, using wiring as a mid-Winter snack.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I've seen cars sit on dealer lots for only 2 months and there were signs of rodent nests.
Check visible wiring, look at insulation padding around the engine for any chewed up pieces.
Even under warranty, problems due to rodents can be blamed on how you store the car and not be covered.

Was this car completely stationary, or did they at least move it around some?

Make sure the tires aren't flat spotted.
Throw it around some corners to make sure nothing on the suspension is seizing up.
Give it some hard barking to make sure the calipers are moving freely.

Have the oil and coolant lines inspected for any cracking or dry rot due to not having fluids flowing through them. Cars that get parked for extended periods of time often exhibit a lot more problems than cars that are driven daily.

I'm assuming this is a new car, so it hasn't even passed the break in period yet. That can be an issue with seals.

I'd also be questioning why this car hasn't been sold within 16 months. Did the dealer slap an outrageous mark up on it? Is it poorly optioned?
I have bought and sold many cars in my time. Usually, cars that had been sitting on a lot for more than 3 months (new or used) gave off obvious red flags as to why they hadn't been sold.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:10 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
I've seen cars sit on dealer lots for only 2 months and there were signs of rodent nests.
Check visible wiring, look at insulation padding around the engine for any chewed up pieces.
Even under warranty, problems due to rodents can be blamed on how you store the car and not be covered.

Was this car completely stationary, or did they at least move it around some?

Make sure the tires aren't flat spotted.
Throw it around some corners to make sure nothing on the suspension is seizing up.
Give it some hard barking to make sure the calipers are moving freely.

Have the oil and coolant lines inspected for any cracking or dry rot due to not having fluids flowing through them. Cars that get parked for extended periods of time often exhibit a lot more problems than cars that are driven daily.

I'm assuming this is a new car, so it hasn't even passed the break in period yet. That can be an issue with seals.

I'd also be questioning why this car hasn't been sold within 16 months. Did the dealer slap an outrageous mark up on it? Is it poorly optioned?
I have bought and sold many cars in my time. Usually, cars that had been sitting on a lot for more than 3 months (new or used) gave off obvious red flags as to why they hadn't been sold.
Thanks all. For this vehicle, it is a very well optioned Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo...about $182k MSRP. As to why it's not sold, not sure if you've followed the Sport Turismo, but it's been a disappointingly slow seller. Further, because the Turbo e-Hybrid version exists, anyone who wants to spend +/- $200k on a station wagon went right to the top of the line and skipped the regular Turbo outright (total speculation on my part of course, but makes sense). Given the number of allocations, there are a relatively high number of 2018 Sport Turismos sitting on lots.

Last edited by pokingaround; 02-11-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:19 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bkrantz
When did they punch the warranty date?
Not yet done. I will have the full 4 years.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:24 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Not yet done. I will have the full 4 years.
That should at least cover you for things like seals, hoses, suspension, brakes, etc. from potentially going bad from sitting for so long.

So really, as long as there's no signs of rodents and the tires look good, sounds like a great buy!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:28 PM
IMPorsche
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Car will be under full factory warranty. Just take it out for a good test drive and point out the obvious.
Dealer will prep vehicle for delivery. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's a good deal, get it before someone else snap it up
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

I've also been told that they regularly start and move the vehicles, so that should help.

Working on wrapping it all up today...

Quick Reply: Vehicle sitting at dealer a loooong time. What should I have them check/replace?