Notices

Porsche claimed weight vs. other manufacturers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 05:10 PM
993tt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche claimed weight vs. other manufacturers

So, I keep reading these claims that Porsches official weight are somehow different from how other present their cars weight. Meaning that everything else equal, the Porsches weight is less. Anyone that has any input on this?
Old 01-19-2019, 10:20 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

I don't know about weights, but Porsche has been known to understate power numbers. Maybe it all works out.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 993tt
So, I keep reading these claims that Porsches official weight are somehow different from how other present their cars weight. Meaning that everything else equal, the Porsches weight is less. Anyone that has any input on this?
Depends heavily on which standard is being used.

If a manufacturer wants to quote the lowest possible number, they might list the ‘dry’ weight of the car which doesn’t include any fluids (e.g. coolant, the various oils, fuel, etc.). Back in the day Ferrari used to often quote that one, not sure they still do.

Porsche seems to most commonly list the DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung) standard weight, which is the car in running order, standard configuration (e.g. no optional extras), fluids at nominal full level except fuel is at 90%, and no passenger or luggage.

Then there’s the regulatory landscape. In Europe there is the EU Kerb Weight which is DIN + 75 KG of ballast to account for a passenger and minimal luggage.

I’d expect the US DOT to have defining standards as well, but I haven’t looked it up.

TL;DR version... it depends.

Karl.

Quick Reply: Porsche claimed weight vs. other manufacturers