Notices

Ask the Audience...970 GTS vs. 997 S

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 07:58 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ask the Audience...970 GTS vs. 997 S

I currently own a 2013 Panamera GTS. Pretty much every option aside from PCCB's, including PDCC/PTV. Bought her used, and it took a long time to find the car optioned just the way I wanted. Love the car, no issues there. The trouble is, I'm now debating whether to trade it in for a 997 S. I'm not looking for the Turbo, and it would be a manual. Apples to oranges right?

The best I can distill it down to is this...creature comforts, modern conveniences, and interior capacity for "stuff" and "passengers" versus, driving experience, simpler mechanics (fewer computers and systems to have potential issues with), reliability of motor and transmission (see previous), fulfillment of finally owning a 911.

Obviously there is only room for 2 in the 997, and taking the dogs anywhere would be right out. The Greyhound fits in the GTS, I don't see him squeezing into the Carrera anywhere but the frunk and I'm sure he wouldn't care for that. With Bluetooth and Sirius not an option back in the mid-00's, any desire for that would be a consideration for aftermarket install. Like with most Porsche purchases, practicality and purpose are usually down the list of criteria when buying, it's usually a matter of what makes the inner driver tick....and that's no different this time.

I realize that I have to make a final decision on what I want, but I figured it couldn't hurt to get some collective wisdom and input. Get the feel and experience of the 997 now while the getting is good on those cars, or wait it out a bit, enjoy the GTS for what it is, and see what values/trades may be available next year at some point?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:49 AM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well for the 178 of you that have looked in on this post and are eagerly waiting for the outcome, the voting has been tallied and the final decision has been made....

I've found a great 997 Carrera S, local, tons of paperwork and history, and I'm pulling the trigger on it next week. After several test drives, reading articles/reviews/and the 997 portion of this board endlessly, I've come to the conclusion that it's the car for me. There's just something about it that registers with me and after my first two previous Porsche's, I'm really looking forward to my first 911.

Quick Reply: Ask the Audience...970 GTS vs. 997 S