Notices

Foxwell NT520 Pro Review and Software Installation Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:14 PM
stretchslr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foxwell NT520 Pro Review and Software Installation Instructions

I bought the Foxwell NT520 Pro from fowelltool.com on their '3 year anniversary sale' for $158 including one car brand and shipping.

Initially I was disappointed because it offered only basic code scanning functions in spite of the advertised ability to provide brand-specific functions including service interval updates.

After scouring their website (careful - different from the sales site above - see foxwelltech.com) I was stumped on how to install and/or update the brand-specific software on the tool. The site's links to pdf files would simply not work. Instructions were inscrutable. I finally emailed foxwelltool from whom I had purchased the unit and asked for a return authorization code. They emailed back and asked just what the problem was. I told them. They provided a link and asked that I try again. I did. It worked. The tool now has a Porsche-specific menu item which on first blush appears to have the oil-change interval update and other functions available.

I wanted to share what I have learned:

1. When you purchase the tool and request that the Porsche brand software be included, it is in fact not installed. You are, however, licensed to download the brand-specific software. Read on:
2. Navigate to the foxwelltech product homepage and find the 'Download' tab. There you will see three download options. The first is a pdf ( FoxScanner+Update+Guide+EN-V1.00.pdf ) which describes the three steps you need to take in order to install your brand-specific software. The second is the user's guide which comes as hardcopy with the product and is essentially useless. The third is an installer .zip file. Download the first and third.
3. Follow the instructions found in the pdf file. You have to navigate to a website and establish a user account. You then have to register your product. To do so connect the product to the usb port of your computer with the provided cable. The tool will boot up and you can use it to find the tool's serial number and a (iirc) 4-digit hex key, essentially a secret- or password. Use these to register. Finally you need to install the 'FoxScanner' downloaded in the zip file, an operation I found mildly alarming but no more so, I guess, than installing durametric or other software on my computer.
4. Launch the FoxScanner tool and login using your user account established in step 3.
5. Connect the NT520 tool to your computer via the usb port and provided cable.
6. Select the update menu item.
7. Voila! The FoxScanner sees your NT520 (and its TF card), and populates a table with brand-specific software for download and installation. Select Porsche and wait until the install is complete. There are two steps the FoxScanner tool will go through. It will first download software to the tool and then perform an install function. The latter took a few minutes, be patient.
8. Now the tool displays a Porsche-specific menu item. When I connected to tool to my car and selected the new menu item I was able to find the oil service interval update function among others. ymmv.

I like this tool because it is stand-alone, small and I can easily carry it in my Porsche. As I become more acquainted with the tool I will post updates.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:18 AM
stretchslr
Track Day

Update: I changed the oil yesterday and successfully reset the oil service interval with the NT520.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by stretchslr
I bought the Foxwell NT520 Pro from fowelltool.com ...
I think you meant foxwelltech.com
Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 PM
stretchslr
Track Day

Nope, http://www.foxwelltool.com is where I bought the tool from...
Old 03-19-2019, 08:09 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by stretchslr
Nope, http://www.foxwelltool.com is where I bought the tool from...
OK, but not fowelltool.com (the "x" is missing in the first post)

foxwelltech.com is where you can register, download updates, etc.

BTW, I got mine and used it just now. Mine had the Porsche SW preinstalled with the newest version. Bought it off eBay, so not sure if Foxwell installed it vs. the eBay seller.

Thanks for your detailed instructions. Even though my SW was preinstalled, it was useful when navigating through the not-clear foxwelltech website. E.g., registering as a user vs. registering a product. The serial number is on a label on the back of the unit. And the SN + password are available from the unit after powering it on.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:30 AM
Tom Hiett
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How on earth do you set the date for an oil service reset on this thing? I've probably spent 8 hours watching every remotely related video and reading everything I can find over and over. My Foxwell NT530 was supposedly loaded with all the most recent Porsche software. The seller assured me it would work on a 981 before I bought it.

My problem is when I get to this window-

-------------------------------------------------------
201 30301 (blue input window box)

Please input the date today, according to
201 30301
-------------------------------------------------------

These are the same numbers I found in a pic on Google. Any help appreciated!

Quick Reply: Foxwell NT520 Pro Review and Software Installation Instructions