Notices

Need help with fraudulent eBay ad

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 12:58 AM
Dano95070
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with fraudulent eBay ad

I’m listing my car on Hemmings and someone lifted some of the pics and description and is listing my car on eBay as an auction.
EBay has been exceptionally slow to respond. Another Porsche enthusiast tipped me off about the eBay ad this last Saturday and I’ve been calling eBay almost daily to get the listing pulled with no success. I don’t use eBay and was unfamiliar with their reporting procedures and finally got one of the people to steer me to the Vero team where I had to send yet another report. Total BS.

What really pisses me off is what the eBay ad has the car at currently and what I’m listing on Hemmings are very different and I’m afraid this fraudulent listing is going to affect what I can ultimately get when I find a buyer. What is my recourse against eBay letting an unauthorized person list my car as an auction and their (eBay) role in possibly devaluing my car?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:45 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

One thing you can also do is to report the seller, not just their listing. The seller should be banned for such an act.

Does the seller look like a dealer or just a regular person? I've had issues with vendors using my images (of custom or other brand parts) to portray their own products. This is often times the result of these companies outsourcing their web and digital marketing/sales to companies that are staffed with a bunch of interns or lazy employees. It they look like a reputable seller, they might not be aware of what is going on.

Message the seller and politely ask them to remove the images they stole from your listing with the threat that you will report them (you don't need to mention that you already have).

Lastly... It's ebay. Having been a serious buyer of ebay cars in the past, there's a lot to go through in the process. It usually turns into a private sale. Anyone interested in the ebay listing will probably check autotrader, cars.com, cargurus, craigslist, etc. and will likely find your genuine ad. It's very common on craigslist to see fake ads with stolen images. Just make sure your listing's featured image is different from what the fraud listing has.

There will always be cars listed for less and more than your asking price. As long as you're asking a fair price, genuine buyers will eventually come forth.
If someone is truly interested in your car and mentions lower prices for very similar cars, you can explain to them that there was a fraudulent listing that used your pictures, so your price remains fair.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:44 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Put in a bid to ensure you win the auction and then you will get eBay's attention and be able to remedy the situation.

Quick Reply: Need help with fraudulent eBay ad