Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   General Porsche Discussions Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/general-porsche-discussions-forum-73/)
-   -   D*ck factor at play? (https://rennlist.com/forums/general-porsche-discussions-forum/1100893-d-ck-factor-at-play.html)

JCWLS3 10-01-2018 10:01 PM

D*ck factor at play?

Greetings,

My wife and I are first-time Porsche buyers. We've been in the process of ordering a 2019 Cayenne Turbo for over a year. We're set to take delivery in early December if all goes well. The car is for her -- she picked it, optioned it (mostly), and will drive it most of the time. She LOVES fast, cool cars (and trucklike things).

We are not egregiously moneyed people in that we neither earn massive salaries nor hang in the one-percenter social circles. We're fairly regular folk by most accounts; we've just lived well beneath our means for nearly 30 years, and saved and invested our money smartly (and luckily). We decided to spend a little of it while we're still young enough (fortysomethings) to enjoy it.

We have only told select friends, family and coworkers about the car, generally limiting the news to people who are at least vaguely gearheaded. But we have both noticed something interesting, and a little unexpected. A few folks have gotten standoffish about the car, even to the point of being dismissive. Understand we are not braggarts. I would never mention price, nor would I drone on and on about the greatness of Stuttgart. Buying a Porsche for us is strictly about the marque and its great history -- I've been a car nerd since I was 10 years old. But man, it seems like a few folks look at us like we suddenly think we're too good for them -- and the car isn't even here yet!

So, my question for you experienced Porschephiles is this: Are we seeing the dreaded d*ck factor at play, as in, "Oh, that dude over there drives a Porsche. What a d*ck"? And if so, should we give a ****?

I am not going to pretend it has not been a little annoying. I'm posting this thread, after all. But it is a shame that supposed friends can get their panties twisted so much over a car. I had a buddy dive in and buy a 2018 AMG C63S, and I nearly did cartwheels for him. (Note that he's one of the dudes who was truly happy and excited for us.)

Thanks for reading. I have found this forum so helpful and enlightening in every way. You guys are great -- and mostly not d*cks! :D

MarkG123 10-01-2018 10:31 PM

Dick Heads

No you know who your real friend are!

Dkk16 10-01-2018 11:32 PM

Very interesting. Possibly jealous? Those are nice rides!

My wife and I are almost in the exact same situation, except a few years older. We have always had nice things but lived below our means, made descent money, saved,had rental houses, no kids😎, etc. Looking to buy our first Porsche 911, 2018-19.

We we haven’t told anyone yet. Probably won’t. My wife works for a big orthopedic practice. The Dr’s are going to S*it when she parks a new 911 with temporary tags next to their pos Audi’s and Volvo’s.

bkrantz 10-01-2018 11:40 PM

You have to decide if you care what people think, especially about something as "trivial" as choice of car--or maybe what symbolism people attribute to a car brand. I suggest just acting the way you always have been, and if the chance comes to drive friends in the Cayenne, just be cool about it.

tomc_mets 10-02-2018 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by MarkG123
No you know who your real friend are!

This, in a nutshell. Your real friends will be happy for you knowing what the car means to you and the route you've taken to its purchase. Everyone else? It's their problem, not yours. Enjoy your awesome new car, and let the haters hate somewhere else...T

MyNameIdeasWereT 10-02-2018 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by JCWLS3 (Post 15331073)
So, my question for you experienced Porschephiles is this: Are we seeing the dreaded d*ck factor at play, as in, "Oh, that dude over there drives a Porsche. What a d*ck"? And if so, should we give a ****?

Is your name Richard and you hate nicknames?

Don't let yourself be bothered by what other people say, both in person and online. If you're happy with what you drive, then enjoy it!
We live in such a stupid time, where people who work hard for what they want are negatively viewed upon by society once they achieve their goals. If others don't like it, then they're just jealous or uneducated. It's funny that a sports car or luxury SUV can cost around the $100k mark and everyone makes judgements. But they don't think twice about a fully optioned F150 costing about the same.

Take pride in what you have accomplished and remain humble.
Saving is responsible, but at some point, you also have to turn your money into memories. Enjoy life, because it can end at any moment.

BSO 10-02-2018 07:20 PM

You can't control what others think, but if they know you and are truly friends, they should be happy for you.

Human nature being what it is I'm sure many will think how can they afford such things. When I was much younger, I would see old f*rts in sports cars and think what a waste. Well, I'm the old f*rt now in my above average car, so I have my fun time.

Enjoy what you've earned. If someone asks me the price of my C4S once I take delivery, I will tell them 50 years of work.

JCWLS3 10-02-2018 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dkk16 (Post 15331248)
My wife and I are almost in the exact same situation, except a few years older... Looking to buy our first Porsche 911, 2018-19...The Dr’s are going to S*it when she parks a new 911 with temporary tags next to their pos Audi’s and Volvo’s.

I wish you the best of luck on getting that car. It's been a fun journey. When we take delivery soon, I'll let you know if the destination was as entertaining as the trip. And I'm picturing your wife's parking lot the first time she pulls that car in. The looks she's going to get... Love it!

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT (Post 15331685)
Is your name Richard and you hate nicknames?... It's funny that a sports car or luxury SUV can cost around the $100k mark and everyone makes judgements. But they don't think twice about a fully optioned F150 costing about the same... Enjoy life, because it can end at any moment.

How'd you know my name was Richard? :p In all seriousness, though, your last sentence struck a chord, and is one of the main reasons we decided to buy this ridiculous, over-the-top vehicle. I've recently lost my mother, father, and a beloved stepdad over a 13-month period. I've got a brother who's dying now. One day I woke up and realized that if I keep putting off until tomorrow what I can do today, tomorrow may never come. It was one of those paradigm shifts that you read about every once in a while that usually involves some dude selling everything he owns and moving to a remote anthill in Africa so he can stare at his navel. In my case, since I apparently find driving fast far more introspective and life-enhancing than the anthill (or navel), I suggested to my wife that maybe it was time for the Porsche she's been asking about for years -- the one I was too damned cheap to buy. Carpe diem -- and Carpe Turbo!

Originally Posted by BSO (Post 15333216)
... When I was much younger, I would see old f*rts in sports cars and think what a waste. Well, I'm the old f*rt now in my above average car, so I have my fun time... Enjoy what you've earned. If someone asks me the price of my C4S once I take delivery, I will tell them 50 years of work.

I can totally relate to that. I may not be old compared to some, but I'm sure as hell ancient when I look in the mirror expecting to see the 25-year-old version of me that's permanently stuck in my head. I love that you're the older guy having the fun time. That's my plan too. :rockon: And your answer to the price question should some fool bring it up is, well, priceless. I'm stealing it!

Thanks to all who've responded. Very helpful stuff. Despite how it may sound, I am not having an existential crisis. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the fact that somehow, someway, we're dropping $150K on a stupid-fast tall station wagon, and it's not nearly as painful as it should be. What a blessing. And frankly, for those who may look sideways at us, you guys are right on line. Go earn your own money before you judge how we're spending ours.

JCWLS3 10-02-2018 11:16 PM

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, Dkk16: Only one of the rides in my avatar is mine. The C63S is my friend's. The more proletariat Chevy sedan that looks like a rental Malibu (but secretly hides a previous-gen Corvette engine and 6MT) is mine. But I'll tell you, that Merc is a bad bitch. Love that car.

pullover 10-03-2018 10:09 PM

I wish you the very best, and many enjoyable and safe miles with your new Cayenne. I agree with most members, you will find out very quickly who your true friends are. Think of it as a good thing. Do you really want to waist your time with such shallow folks? Perhaps selfish and in some rare cases, vindictive. There are some folks that actually get angry and act out. I am aware of road rage, vandalism & other devious behavior. This highly depends on how flashy the car, the model, where and how driven, etc. Not my intent to alarm, such behavior just exists. I would not see a Porsche Cayenne as a flashy car, but thats just me. I enjoy spirited drives thru mountain roadways. Not reckless, just spirited. A red 488 Ferrari, a yellow Lambo or a black Bugatti Chiron bearing Ca. plates in the mts. of Wy. or Mt.,can and does cause resentment, not always, but at times. Likewise, a gt-silver 918 Spyder with Co.plates in the western mts. of N.C.can cause unwanted behavior. Just comes with the territory of owning & enjoying an exotic or high end marque.
Again, a Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes can stir ones emotions. They can draw unwanted attention & reactions, as well as priceless enjoyment and approval. You may lose a few fake friends, however you will no doubt be rewarded with numerous new friendships with similar passion. Enjoy, be safe, just be aware. Best of luck.
pullover

JCWLS3 10-04-2018 12:10 AM

Pullover, thanks for your insights -- particularly about the possibility of exotic brands causing bad behavior in certain types of people on sight. It has crossed my mind that my wife will be driving a thing that will occasionally be a target from total strangers of a certain level of resentment, and maybe even anger, just because the thing exists. I personally cannot fathom it, but I am not so stupid as to believe it won't happen. We've already had a few discussions about driving a little (or a lot) less aggressively when people are around. She could hide all day in anonymity were we buying a dime-a-dozen Merc or BMW. But a blue Cayenne Turbo with clear taillights, blacked-out everything, and yellow PCCB calipers that stand out like oversize bananas hanging at each corner? They'll be no hiding and no denying in that car.

Along that line, I don't know how folks who buy the truly exotic Porsches -- say, a Lizard Green 911 GT3 RS -- drive around in public. Maybe they never do -- they just sit in the garage and tease? I'd be a nervous wreck. For me, there'd be a lot of hot laps on empty country roads at night. I'd probably find out pretty quickly just how well the car would stop for deer. Trips to Wal-Mart in rush-hour traffic to pick up steaks and beer for a cookout? Not so much.

Again, I appreciate your advice. We'll just take it as it comes, with heads on swivels and smiles on faces.

ABusLux 10-04-2018 10:18 AM

OP, that type of behavior that you suddenly see around you is why I commute to work on my Macan GTS, but other than my (big, big) boss who also happens to be a car person and another colleague who’s crazy about cars, nobody in my company or any stakeholder of my company knows we also have a 911 (GTS). I live abroad, and not even my closer family members know about the 911!

JCWLS3 10-04-2018 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by ABusLux (Post 15336802)
OP, that type of behavior that you suddenly see around you is why I commute to work on my Macan GTS, but other than my (big, big) boss who also happens to be a car person and another colleague who’s crazy about cars, nobody in my company or any stakeholder of my company knows we also have a 911 (GTS). I live abroad, and not even my closer family members know about the 911!

Man, we live in a sad state of affairs nowadays. There are a few family members of ours whom we will not tell about the Porsche. We'll just bring our other car to events, family gatherings, etc. if they're going to be present. Regarding work: That's an interesting topic unto itself. There are a select few people at my office whom I have told, and who are happy for us. The same goes for my wife's office. Both of us are gifted with large parking garages in which it's easy to disappear. So we'll drive / park as normal, and when the day comes that Loudmouth Bob from Accounting sees us in the car, we'll be as casual and unassuming as possible. (I plan to use the "It's just a dressed-up VW SUV, for crying out loud" bit. We'll just have to remember to close the baffles on the Sport Exhaust before rumbling into the parking garage. That sort of pisses me off, but oh well.)

It will be interesting to see how this stuff plays out.

And finally: Despite your hiding away your 911 GTS, I hope you still get to drive it regularly. That's a fantastic car! You folks with two or more Porsches are extraordinarily gifted -- and blessed.

fastcars914 10-06-2018 11:32 AM

I've had plenty of judgemental comments about my cars, what do I think of them? I don't! The cars make me happy, so I don't care what others think. If people can't understand why, oh well. I drive how I like to drive, wherever I need to go. Now, I do try my hardest to be polite while driving, let people go first, standard driving manners, etc. Summed up, do with the car what will make you and the Mrs. happy! People will think what they're going to think, just try to be polite while driving or talking about it.

OptimusGlen 10-08-2018 02:31 PM

Comparison is the thief of joy.