Notices

Dang, can't find storage near me...an idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 10:03 PM
P-on
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dang, can't find storage near me...an idea?

I usually store my 987 and Macan S during winter as I have a Tundra I drive daily. With teen drivers I'm OUT OF SPACE. So I've looked for local storage and for $350 a month I can get a 10x30 locked interior space. That seems steep, but no matter- since they're sold out. I'm upstate NY and there isn't much in the way of secure, rodent free, climate controlled car storage near me. There are a lot of trashy garages attached to peoples homes they rent for $150 to $200 a month. Has anyone looked at what it would cost to put up a Morton building with pad, enough parking to make it work out with waste oil heater and insulation? I know that is one broad *** sweeping brush I've used. But if ten people say "I looked at it the numbers don't work until you get to 500 cars" it won't work, I don't have that much capital. We're not a great economy but I believe there is a need. One facility with me is $70 a month, everyone HAS to bring their car on the same day, park near each other, then all pick up on the same day as they put them side by side- about 100 cars, trailers, boats, some smaller RV's. It's a zoo and I don't use them, and they sell out every single year. I don't like that since anyone going in and out can walk through them and there is a chance of car door dings...etc. Personally if someone said, "Park your car in this mildly heated, secure space reserved for your special car with security cameras and rodent control," I'd jump to pay $200 a month for 4-5 months while snow flies. The last best space I had was a 10x20 single stall for $240 a month. My thought was to build an open storage space with hanging dividers to prevent door dings, retractable outlets for trickle chargers, and complimentary washing station outside if folks wanted to do a wash/wax there before storing, or if they take their car for a drive and put it back. Any broad thoughts appreciated.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:52 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Are you saying you want to get into the car storage business? There's a lot more to it than just putting up a building with security cameras. Depending on the cars you store, insurance will be a big expense. You'll need an employee to handle the books, or prepare to handle the full time job yourself. You'll also need to build up a reputation before you start selling out. It might take a few years. But by parking your own Porsche in it, you'll at least get the attention of other higher end car owners.

Local storage places might be sold out, but have you researched the remaining demand in your area?

When starting any business like this, especially when you're dealing with the construction costs, it is very rare that you'll see a real profit. You might make enough to cover the monthly expenses and mortgage. The real money comes once you have built up equity, established a reputation, and sold that business for a profit.

Also not sure if this solves your problem of finding a place to store your car before this winter.
Find a friend or somewhere that has open parking, buy one of those inflatable garages, and then you can at least store your car for this upcoming season.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:44 PM
P-on
Instructor

Should have been a bit more specific. Yes, exploring getting into the storage business. But the usual items of building equity, repetitive business and costs I know as I own and run a successful business now. I understand the staffing involved, was not aware that insurance would be a very large expense (duh...). Coming from NY we are always focused on taxes as they will tax your dead dog if you don't watch out. I'm not quite sure how to search remaining demand in the area . Across the street from me is an abandoned barn now filled with classic cars (a Shelby even...) that people park there for cover. It's unlocked, filled with mice and cats, but free. The owner is in jail and nobody else is around from his family. I guess that's the state of car storage around here.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:57 PM
jm.saddler1969
3rd Gear

Do you know what kind of parking lifts you could start with? Once you get the space. BendPak has one called Autostacker and there are countless others. I want to get a few more for our 6 car garage that's only half full. As in it has three cars now and I know a few lifts will double that. https://www.autostacker.com/

Quick Reply: Dang, can't find storage near me...an idea?