Notices

Dealers buying cars out of state on my behalf

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 09:25 PM
jcoltrane
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealers buying cars out of state on my behalf

Hello folks, I'm sure this has been covered previously, but I can't find the right search criteria to locate the answer to this question. To take advantage of IL trade-in tax rebates and to avoid going to the DMV for title transfer and registration, if I find the 911 I'm looking for at a dealer out-of-state, can I ask my local Porsche dealer to acquire that vehicle on my behalf so I could handle the transaction through them instead? If the answer is yes, how likely is it that they'd do it for a new customer? If the car arrives and it wasn't represented correctly by the original dealer, am I still on the hook for purchase? Would the local dealer ask for a commission to do this? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-03-2018, 08:19 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The answer is yes, you may ask your local dealer to handle the transaction. They will be happy to do it because they are going to charge you a handsome fee. It's a business, they must and will make a profit off you, as they should.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

If you really want to save some sales tax dollars in Illinois, buy a used private party car. Going to the DMV is an easy exercise to register a car purchase in IL. Bill Of Sale and Title Transfer, easy peasy.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:59 AM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, most quality dealers will source a car for you, I just recently did this with Porsche Beachwood. Of course, they still have to make money on the deal, so expect to pay more than if you sourced the car yourself. Beachwood actually found my car on Rennlist I paid about $9k over what I could have if I had just bought the car directly from the seller. However I did have the peace of mind of Beachwood going over the car, CPO’ing it (this was $3k of the $9k as ithey simply passed the cost to them from PNA on to me), and replacing/repairing some minor issues as part of that $9k. I also got to deal with a reputable dealer for all of the paperwork and title transferring, instead of the risk of a private party transaction on a $170k car. Keep in mind that because they will want to make a “reasonable” profit, they may not be able to source a specific instance of a car you want, unless you’re willing to extremely overpay. Instead what dealers will generally do is ask you what model/options you want and they will try to find a deal that works for you and them within those parameters.

As far as misrepresentation and what you’re liable for, this one is a bit more grey, and will vary widely from dealer to dealer. Once Beachwood found me the car I wound up buying, I had to put a $5k deposit down before they would close the deal on acquiring it. This deposits was non-refundable unless they were unable to secure the car, or provide it in the expected condition. I also had to have financing approved. I would expect most sourcing deals to operate this way.

I still got the trade in tax credit even though Beachwood is in Ohio and I’m in Pennsylvania. Depending on how your state words their law, you may not strictly need to buy from an in state dealer to take advantage. Of course, buying out of state does make the paperwork more complex especially if you’ve financed the car as re-titling a car with a lien on it is a PITA (PA’s process is particularly Byzantine, it requires physical letters going back and forth between PennDOT, the lienholder, and you).
Old 05-16-2023, 02:17 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 911 Likes on 552 Posts

delete this, wrong thread.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:58 AM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 291 Posts

If sales tax is the issue, register in MT for “0”. Just form a MT LLC, a simple ten minute process.

Quick Reply: Dealers buying cars out of state on my behalf