Notices

Trumps tariffs a potential threat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:56 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

I just poured a scotch as well. I'm way more wound up about Russians running America than silly car tariffs. I hope the world order maintains so we can still enjoy nice things.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:01 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

I wonder if you could just prepay for the car up front now and have the dealer sign a statement saying that the car is fully paid for, regardless of tariffs?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
I wonder if you could just prepay for the car up front now and have the dealer sign a statement saying that the car is fully paid for, regardless of tariffs?
The certificate of origin is NEEDED transfer ownership.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:14 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Ah ok. Well, look on the bright side, all of our cars will be worth 20-30% more in value overnight when the tariffs hit the market!

Originally Posted by 0to60
The certificate of origin is NEEDED transfer ownership.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:45 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

If tariffs happen, maybe it cure us of our addiction?

But seriously, it wouldn’t be good for Porsche as many of us here would decide differently if we had to pay $40K more.

Glad my Touring is due stateside late August, which should be well before this might happen.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:51 AM
Boxers12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring on the tariffs. I have RS on order and would walk away (its a car) since US has been getting screwed for years and nobody has had the guts to change things. Other countries need our business, they will bend. In the end Germans might by more Corvettes ,Camaro's,and Mustangs, which means more GT3 RS's for US market in the long run. Let it play out. Germany is not going to risk its car business in the US. As for you Trump doubters, the money you saved on new tax laws this year will pay for the tariffs if it would happen.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:07 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Chinese customers will love if if the tariffs happen. They already got the 3.0L engine to be affordable in their market, and if Porsches suddenly become less affordable in the US, that’ll just make them all that more desireable over there when they can have a luxury that a reduced number over here can.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:17 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boxers12
Bring on the tariffs. I have RS on order and would walk away (its a car) since US has been getting screwed for years and nobody has had the guts to change things. Other countries need our business, they will bend. In the end Germans might by more Corvettes ,Camaro's,and Mustangs, which means more GT3 RS's for US market in the long run. Let it play out. Germany is not going to risk its car business in the US. As for you Trump doubters, the money you saved on new tax laws this year will pay for the tariffs if it would happen.
Since you mention Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs, I wonder why more of those aren’t purchased abroad with the money that results from our trade imbalances... on right it’s because we keep selling them more and more government debt as taxes get lower and spending balloons. It’s a much smarter investment than Covettes, Camaros and Mustangs which might be nice new but depreciate rather badly as they fall apart due to poor build quality.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:34 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Yes, they are absolutely taking it very seriously according to my sales manager. Auto dealer organizations and Unions are going hard at the threatened tariffs in Washington.

Trade is a complicated issue. Where do you get your information about dealer organizations and unions? Or is this merely your opinion?
Old 07-14-2018, 02:06 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Oh sorry if I got off topic a bit I thought this was in P &C.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:26 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxers12
what are talking about?

Congress reduced the upper income tax bracket by 3% but took away a host of deductions. If you live inhigh tax states like CA and NY you will have higher taxes. Businesses got the biggest tax breaks and will see their taxes go down.

An interesting question is whether the dealers will accept the cars from PCNA if they know they cannot sell the car because of the high tariffs. Accepting the car means paying for it. Unless they know they can sell it, some dealers may decide they cannot afford to floor plan it and reject the car (I’m not sure if they are contractually bound to accept .the car.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:32 AM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tarrifs go into effect and I'm out as well. Will look to older cars or a used .2 GT3. But I assume so will everyone else and the prices will rise accordingly. Sucks. Hoping it doesn't happen as I have a January delivery.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:23 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The way the tariff would work is it would be paid by Porsche (as the importer) on the car when it arrives in the US and clears customs. All cars are currently subject to a 2.5% “tariff” now. Anyone who has imported a car personally can see how it works.

While Porsche could just up the MSRP by the amount of the tariff, that is not a foregone conclusion either in it happening at all, happening right away, or happening at the same amount of the tariff.

I am sure PAG has various contingency plans in place, but I would suspect that they would not immediately up the MSRP on all cars by the amount of the tariff. I would suspect it would be less than the amount of the tariff, likely phased in over time, and also may not include cars on order as that would create a lot of ill will and headaches. Maybe that is wishful thinking, but it is more realistic than some other scenarios.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:44 AM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't think it will happen, I believe Germany will do what they can to prevent this debacle from ending up in a trade war. Germany has far too much to lose to risk one of their biggest markets if not the biggest from taking a major hit in sales. I personally don't believe in tariffs but in open/free markets. However, I do believe I see Trump's play here. Why is it that we pay a 2.5% tariiff to import a German car into the states but the Germans impose a 10% tariff to import a US car into Germany? If anything let the field be even and if it all goes sideways well at least we have the Porsche's that we have.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:25 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

My info came from my sales manager as to what the industry organizations are doing which is believable.

PAG keeping the cars in Germany until tariffs end is a good idea. Sending bills of sale in advanced is another good idea but I guess it depends on how the law is written. Unless this later tactic clearly works and an exception under the tariff I would not buy the car and the get caught in a fight with the Fed over it. No way. Not worth it.

PAG eating the tariff? Lol. They won’t even reduce the price of a WP here in the States when we don’t even get the roll bar. They have one way pockets.

Did you know we have a 20% tariff on EU trucks and vans? WTF? We are protecting our truck industry. If I’m Germany etc that has to be reduced. What’s good for the goose...

Our economy would be devastated by a trade war with the EU. While at first I thought used GT cars might go up in value I’m not so sure if the economy goes in the crapper.

If if you are paying an adm do you think a piggish dealership is going to revert their adm into the tax for you and give it up to the Fed.

China deserves to get kickef in the *****. Duplicitous they are. China steals, lies, manipulates and cheats. Mexico too. They ain’t our friends. They are consistently f’ing us from immigration to trade. Now Canada getting hit I didn’t understand but I guess the EU is looking at that and saying to themselves “this guy it’s nuts, we better work this out”.

A 20% tariff has me walking 100%.

Last edited by Waxer; 07-14-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Trumps tariffs a potential threat?