Tour and Track Time at Porsche Leipzig

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:28 AM
GingerPowered
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Tour and Track Time at Porsche Leipzig

Hey, all --

Just wanted to share a few pics and video of my visit to Porsche Leipzig, where they assemble the Panamera and Macan, and have a factory test track. (I know there's a way to embed the videos from Youtube, but I can't figure out how to do it, so please forgive the links.) I did the factory tour and Pilot program, and I opted to drive the 718, among the other options, which were the 911 or Panamera. (They also offered a Pilot off-road program for anyone who wants to try out the Macan or Cayenne.) The total cost was 315 Euros, which is about $365 USD; and, in my opinion, it was well worth it... I actually got pretty lucky, as they just happened to be doing the tour and Pilot events in English while I was in Germany. If I recall correctly, they only offer them in English a handful of times each year.

I took good old fashioned public transportation to the factory from nearby Leipzig. It was pretty cool to see "Porsche" on a bus stop; and then pile into a bus full of Porsche factory employees sporting the iconic red overalls... I got the impression, however, that my busmates were not quite as impressed as I was - I can't imagine why.

The bus stops at several locations around the massive Leipzig factory, including the front gate, where you see the towering Porsche sign and, after you pass the main security entrance, the famous spaceship-shaped Porsche Leipzig building.

After an intro and hello from our tour guide, we watched a short video about the history, layout, and plans for the factory. Then, unfortunately (although understandably), they require you to lock up your phones and prohibit any photos as you head off for the factory tour. Suffice it to say, that the factory is highly impressive. You expect the assembly lines to be massive and clean and precise, etc., and they absolutely are. One of the most impressive machines, in my opinion, was the robot that uses a laser to measure, glue, seal, and finally install the windshields. The end of the tour ends near the end of the assembly line, where they "marry" the drivetrains to the bodies. I forget the number, but I think they said they install something like 30 nuts/bolts at this point, and that's all it takes keep the body and drivetrains attached. Pretty wild to think about, really.

After the factory tour, which lasted about an hour and a half, those of us doing the Pilot program were led outside to the track. In one direction, a few varieties of 911s, a Panamera, and two 718s laid waiting for us to put them through their paces. In the other direction, lay the holy grail of GT cars, the new GT2RS, next to a GT3RS, a GT3 or two or three, a few Turbos, and other 911 variants. Unfortunately for us Joe Schmos, the GT cars were not there for us to play with; but I was in no way disappointed with the time I spent in the 718.

I and another participant had previously opted for the 718. Unfortunately, we were presented a 718 S and a GTS. What a pickle. As you can hear in the video below, I hoped against hope to draw the GTS. However, after a coin toss that I lost, I had to "settle" for the lowly 718 S. Life is tough sometimes:

We spent an hour on the track - a group of about 8 or 9 cars total - doing a lead-follow with a factory racing driver. I didn't catch his name, but, naturally, he was a great lead driver. He was in a base 911, and gave everyone plenty of opportunities to drop the hammer in the straights and see just how well the cars handled in the turns. This being my first time driving in months (I sold my 981 in December before I left for this trip), I was in hog heaven:

One of the German gentlemen in my group expressed some frustration with a few of the drivers in the group, who slowed down the pack. I certainly didn't love that part either, but, for what it was, i.e., a "pilot" program, vis a vis a HPDE event, I felt like I got my money's worth. Anytime someone hands you the keys to a brand new Porsche to beat on around a factory track, it's hard to be too upset.

I will say, however, that I am not sold on the 718. I chose it specifically to compare to my previous 981 S and 987 S, and experience the evolution firsthand. Yes, the 718 is quick - it felt noticeably faster than the 981 - and, yes, Porsche did a nice job of minimizing the turbo lag... but it's still there, no doubt, and the sound... *SIGH* Ugh, the sound of that little four-banger. Bless its heart. Anyway, that's a different debate for a different page. I just wanted to share my experience with fellow P-car lovers and give my enthusiastic recommendation for the Leipzig factory tour and Pilot program.

Cheers!

~GPd

Quick Reply: Tour and Track Time at Porsche Leipzig