Notices

Ordering a 2019 Targa 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 12:11 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ordering a 2019 Targa 4 GTS

Hi all - I am new here. Also new to Porsche.

I have an allocation for a 2019 Targa 4 GTS (arriving late September) - and have been suffering a bit over the spec.

Specifically:

- PDCC - will I regret not getting this?
- Color - is Chalk worth the upcharge, or would Metallic White, GT Silver or Agate gray work just as well
- LED headlight upgrade - is it worth it?
- Black/Bordeaux interior - too loud?

I understand this is mostly subjective - hoping some of your thoughts being more experienced with the brand will help me finalize this spec.

This will be a daily or near daily driver (thus the deletion of the alcantara) - will not be tracked, or at least not with any frequency. Will see a lot of highway miles.

Also curious if anyone yet knows if there will be any changes to the 2019's... I can't seem to find anything online, as most rumors had the 992 coming out in 2019 - though it looks like it will be a MY2020.

-----------------------------------------

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PJVKZUY3

Exterior Color
Chalk
$3,150

Interior Color - Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red
$4,280

Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
$2,160

Targa Bar Painted in Silver
$0

LED Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
$2,770

SportDesign Package Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
$1,510

Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
$160

Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
$3,730

Power Steering Plus
$280

Rear Axle Steering
$2,090

20" 911 Turbo S Wheels
$0

Lane Change Assist (LCA)
$850

GT Sport Steering Wheel
$0

Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
$470

Deletion of Alcantara®
$0

Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
$3,030

Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
$0

Porsche Crest on Headrests Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
$290

Steering Column Casing in Leather with Stitching in Deviated Thread Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
$610

Sun Visors in Alcantara® Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
$590

PDK Gear Selector in Aluminum Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
$360

Door-Sill Guards in Stainless Steel, Illuminated Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
$900

Voice Control
$0

BOSE® Surround Sound System
$1,600

Color Selection for Stitching in Deviated Thread
LZ - Bordeaux Red
$0

Total Price (before TTL, Doc Fee, etc)
$169,780
-----------------------------------------

Last edited by dapellegrini; 03-17-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Add spec detail in the posting so you don't have to click the link
Old 03-18-2018, 11:22 AM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dapellegrini
Hi all - I am new here. Also new to Porsche.

I have an allocation for a 2019 Targa 4 GTS (arriving late September) - and have been suffering a bit over the spec.

Specifically:

- PDCC - will I regret not getting this?
- Color - is Chalk worth the upcharge, or would Metallic White, GT Silver or Agate gray work just as well
- LED headlight upgrade - is it worth it?
- Black/Bordeaux interior - too loud?

I understand this is mostly subjective - hoping some of your thoughts being more experienced with the brand will help me finalize this spec.

This will be a daily or near daily driver (thus the deletion of the alcantara) - will not be tracked, or at least not with any frequency. Will see a lot of highway miles.

Also curious if anyone yet knows if there will be any changes to the 2019's... I can't seem to find anything online, as most rumors had the 992 coming out in 2019 - though it looks like it will be a MY2020.
Welcome to the forums and congrats on getting an awesome car! Speccing can be quite the bear, especially with Porsche and all of it's options.
Here's my humble opinion:
PDCC- I'll let others chime in on that

Colour- It really is personal taste, have you been able to see an example of a Chalk/etc in person? With your spec, I would personally go with a darker colour such as GT Silver/Agate Gray to offset the Bordeaux interior

LED Headlights- You can never go wrong with more effective headlights

Black/Bordeaux interior- I personally am a huge fan of red interiors. With most people, it is love or hate. If you were doing the all Bordeaux interior, yes I would say it's too loud; however, you're doing the Black/Bordeaux, and I think it looks stunning!

-A couple other thoughts:

If you're worried about it being too "loud", you may want to have the Targa bar be in the standard GTS grey instead of silver.

It also looks like the power folding mirror option won't affect your overall design, and considering it is a no-cost option, I would seriously consider checking that box due to you going to DD (daily drive) it.

Another option to consider is ACC, personally, I wouldn't get it due to the unattractive look of the exterior modifications needed to make it work, and the price. I can brake myself when I need to! But it is an option to consider if you're going to do a lot of highway miles.

Front axle lift- You may want to consider this option if you're going to be DDing the car, don't want to scrap up the front! But if where you live the curbs aren't too bad, then it may not be necessary.

One last option I would ask you to consider is the smoking package. Most Porsche's that have that option is not because the previous owner was a smoker, but rather the package covers the storage area in the center console with a more attractive looking cover. In addition you could also use the lighter as an in-car charging port. Besides those thoughts, I think you have a great spec! Let us know what you end up deciding!

Last edited by fastcars914; 03-18-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:07 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

Excellent feedback - thank you!

On color - The first time I saw the Chalk color was on a 911 Coupe w/ glass top - and it really caught my eye. I have not seen it on a Targa, but have since seen it on a Panamera, Cayman and Boxter - and I don't like it nearly as much on any of those models. I liked Agate Gray in the online builder, but in person it seems to have a brownish color in it that I don't like as much as I thought I would. I actually quite like white, albeit perhaps a little boring - and am now leaning either GT Silver or White.

Interior - my local dealer finally got a car in with the Alcantara interior (a 2015 GT3) and a new GTS Cab with the Bordeaux/Black leather - so I went down yesterday to sit in them. Ended up more sold on the Bordeaux with Black upper leather setup. I would have been in the anti-red interior camp prior to actually seeing it / driving it. In person I found it very nice. As an added bonus you get contrast red stitching w/o the up-charge and can ventilate the seats - which I tested and liked (we live in the desert). The other option that I had considered was the black sport-tex seats - which also do the contrast stitching free of charge. I wonder which would be easier to resell in a few years between the Black/Bordeaux leather and the black sport-tex?

On the smoker's package, my sales guy suggested against it - though I could go either way. I told him I thought it was handy to have another plug and finish off the center console. He tells me there is a USB in the arm rest and if that area is left open, it should be enough to set a phone in. Dunno if that is accurate

Power folding mirrors - I had ticked that box originally, but then saw that the style of the mirror change, and I quite like the sportier looking version that does not fold in.

I decided against ACC, mainly because I think this spec is getting a little too expensive, but also because I have it on one of my other cars - and while I think it is cool, I can easily live without it.

Front Axle Lift - curbs are typically friendly here - also seemed a lot of money for a feature I might only use a few times. If I was in LA, I think it would be a must - or if it was less $$$ I think I would have ticked it.

My rep also tells me that the interior top of the targa piece is NOT finished in alcantara - I had assumed it would match the interior trim of the bar. I was considering the sun visors and seatbelt outlets in alcantara to keep the top in a single material - but have since removed those options.

Black Targa bar - it is growing on me, but I have to say when I first saw them in black on the new cars, I didn't like it. Didn't stand out as much as a Targa. Could go either way on this - on GT silver I think both look very nice

Another rep insisted that I get the lower side skirts and rear diffuser area painted - but I am also not sure. It does make the car seem marginally lower - but also slightly less svelte in my opinion

Again, thanks for the feedback and keep it coming.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:20 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dapellegrini
Excellent feedback - thank you!

On color - The first time I saw the Chalk color was on a 911 Coupe w/ glass top - and it really caught my eye. I have not seen it on a Targa, but have since seen it on a Panamera, Cayman and Boxter - and I don't like it nearly as much on any of those models. I liked Agate Gray in the online builder, but in person it seems to have a brownish color in it that I don't like as much as I thought I would. I actually quite like white, albeit perhaps a little boring - and am now leaning either GT Silver or White.

Interior - my local dealer finally got a car in with the Alcantara interior (a 2015 GT3) and a new GTS Cab with the Bordeaux/Black leather - so I went down yesterday to sit in them. Ended up more sold on the Bordeaux with Black upper leather setup. I would have been in the anti-red interior camp prior to actually seeing it / driving it. In person I found it very nice. As an added bonus you get contrast red stitching w/o the up-charge and can ventilate the seats - which I tested and liked (we live in the desert). The other option that I had considered was the black sport-tex seats - which also do the contrast stitching free of charge. I wonder which would be easier to resell in a few years between the Black/Bordeaux leather and the black sport-tex?

On the smoker's package, my sales guy suggested against it - though I could go either way. I told him I thought it was handy to have another plug and finish off the center console. He tells me there is a USB in the arm rest and if that area is left open, it should be enough to set a phone in. Dunno if that is accurate

Power folding mirrors - I had ticked that box originally, but then saw that the style of the mirror change, and I quite like the sportier looking version that does not fold in.

I decided against ACC, mainly because I think this spec is getting a little too expensive, but also because I have it on one of my other cars - and while I think it is cool, I can easily live without it.

Front Axle Lift - curbs are typically friendly here - also seemed a lot of money for a feature I might only use a few times. If I was in LA, I think it would be a must - or if it was less $$$ I think I would have ticked it.

My rep also tells me that the interior top of the targa piece is NOT finished in alcantara - I had assumed it would match the interior trim of the bar. I was considering the sun visors and seatbelt outlets in alcantara to keep the top in a single material - but have since removed those options.

Black Targa bar - it is growing on me, but I have to say when I first saw them in black on the new cars, I didn't like it. Didn't stand out as much as a Targa. Could go either way on this - on GT silver I think both look very nice

Another rep insisted that I get the lower side skirts and rear diffuser area painted - but I am also not sure. It does make the car seem marginally lower - but also slightly less svelte in my opinion

Again, thanks for the feedback and keep it coming.
Not a problem, my pleasure!

I felt the same way about Chalk, initially, it really caught my eye; however, I watch the Marketplace quite well and I have yet to see a Chalk vehicle on the Marketplace that I really like the look of. Personally, I'd go GT Silver just to add some contrast, plus the silver bar would look better with it. However, if you go with the black bar, GT Silver or White would look good.

Personally, I am not a big fan of Alcantara, not sure why, just aren't. The leather seats are very nice, and as you mentioned, you can ventilate the seats, which I agree is a very big bonus. Most of the people I know do not even consider the sport-tex option as they feel it looks and feels cheap. I tend to agree with them. I think Black/Bord would be easier to sell down the road than sport-tex. If you were getting a base Targa, I would say you could probably consider the Sport-Tex, but on a GTS, I wouldn't. As I said earlier, red interiors can definitely be divisive. From my observations (I watch the red-interior market quite closely as I'd love to have a car with a red interior), as long as the interior is not ENTIRELY red, but rather Black/Bordeaux, for example, you shouldn't be too bad off.

Re the Smokers Package, I would be hesitant to say that a phone could fit in the open area, especially with the way phones are getting bigger and bigger.

On the power folding mirrors, I looked at your spec and made some of the changes I suggested to it just to play around (it shouldn't have affected your spec btw, so no worries) and the mirror style didn't change for me. Perhaps it is just an error in the configurator. I do like the sportier mirrors as well.

ACC, I agree. It's a little too expensive of an option for my taste for something that I really wouldn't use.

Front Axle Lift, as long as the curbs are friendly, you should be alright! Something to consider is resale. Personally if I was going to buy a newer used Porsche, Front Axle Lift would be a must have due to the curbs in my area.

I could go either way on getting the side skirts and rear diffuser area painted, it really is personal preference. Depending on the colour, I might paint the side skirts, normally I'd leave the rear diffuser unpainted to create contrast with the exhaust tips; however, since the GTS has the black exhaust tips, you may want to consider painting the rear diffuser to create that contrast.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:29 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

Here is what I get toggling the Power Folding Mirrors:

w/o Power Folding Mirrors

w/ Power Folding Mirrors
Old 03-18-2018, 11:11 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Ah, I see. Agreed, the non-power mirrors look better!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:13 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

From what I have gathered on PDCC:

- Professional reviews seem split
- Owners that have it, like it
- Owners who don't have it, don't mind not having it

FAL is also one know I am considering... some people have to have it, others not so much.... frankly I am surprised it is not a standard feature on the lowered GTS models, though I don't think the Targa gets put as low as the coupe
Old 03-20-2018, 07:21 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FAL.. A waste on a GTS....Red Int?...take a long hard look at that. I just got out of a car with Red Int...coudnt run away fast enough...PDCC..Yes...Chalk? HMMM. I was this close to that color on my order and when to a dealer and starred at one for hours...went with Met White
Old 03-20-2018, 07:45 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

Thx for the feedback.

I was in the same anti-red interior camp (still am for ALL red). I think the black dash/wheel and uppers w/ Bordeaux lowers looks quite nice, having spent some time in one. Sporty when looking at it from afar - and when you are in the seat most of it is out of sight - but only if you are going with a neutral exterior color.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:20 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

This car (sold now) seems very close visually to what I am thinking - Chalk, silver bar, red/black interior. Just needs to loose the Carbon fiber bits.

https://www.porscheofcoloradosprings...gts-c-1984.htm

The dealer had two GTS cabs (white and chalk) side by side with a GT Silver Turbo next to them... great color comparison - and really all the colors are nice. Chalk is certainly the most interesting - and really looks different from angle to angle and in different lighting.

Not sure how to embed photos - here is a link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rUCehhbOxeSXLmvK2
Old 03-22-2018, 05:51 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Hmm...those photos really do show the colours well. Chalk might be pretty good after all.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:25 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chalk is new must have color. I like it then I don’t. I pretty much prefer standard colors. I get a kick out of allthe drama associated with The PTS
nonsense
Old 03-22-2018, 11:09 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

Chalk reminds me of this car - which I love, perhaps just a little lighter in from some angles

Old 03-22-2018, 11:11 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

Old 04-01-2018, 10:12 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

Interesting that you deleted the Alcantara seats but did not select heated or cooled seats. Alcantara seats are standard on the GTS models and are typically not deleted except to gain the ventilated seats because they are not available with Alcantera. This looks like a great build and although I do not like red interiors the two tone Black /Boudreaux interior is very rich looking. Good luck with your build.

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2019 Targa 4 GTS