Ordering a 2019 Targa 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 10:35 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, I settled on this:

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PJ3495Z7

Includes the ventilated seats, etc... The only option I am considering adding is the painted side skirts, but I think it will be fine without them.

My SA tried to put the order in last week and tells me that the system kicked it out (says cannot put a MY 2018 order in against a MY 2019 allocation). No word yet on what if anything will change with MY 2019 - or when my order can be put into the system. Last I heard the order locks April 22. I am hoping I hear more this coming week.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:37 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

Exterior Color - Chalk

Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red

Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
- Porsche Entry & Drive
- Auto-Dimming Mirrors
- Light Design Package
- Seat Heating (Front)
- Seat Ventilation (Front)

Targa Bar Painted in Silver

LED Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

SportDesign Package Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)

Power Steering Plus

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)

Rear Axle Steering

20" 911 Turbo S Wheels

Lane Change Assist (LCA)

GT Sport Steering Wheel

Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel

Deletion of Alcantara®

Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package

Smoking Package

Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell

Porsche Crest on Headrests Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Steering Column Casing in Leather with Stitching in Deviated Thread Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Door-Sill Guards in Stainless Steel, Illuminated Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Voice Control

BOSE® Surround Sound System
Old 04-03-2018, 12:29 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice build. My only caution is to make sure you like steering column in leather with the deviated stitching. The stitching gets reflected into the instrument cluster and can be distracting. Be sure to see it in person in different lighting to make sure you won't be bothered by it.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:26 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

Thanks for the tip. This would be a black leather steering column with dark red stitching - and black instrument dial, so I am not too worried, but next time I am at the dealer I will make a point of finding a car in the sunlight that has the contrast stitching on the steering column - if possible.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:09 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

Old 09-17-2018, 01:34 PM
David_911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dapellegrini, that is one sweet machine you have there! I just got an December allocation for Porsche 911 Turbo S and is supposed to be delivered in February. Just curious, but in your entire process of ordering your car build until final delivery, did you ever have any problems crop up - like delays, errors made, and so on?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:08 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

This one went exactly on schedule, if not a day or two early at some production steps. I reserved my allocation in March, for a July build. It shipped on schedule in August, and arrived on schedule in the latter half of September. Only two issues on delivery, a small scuff on the dash, perhaps from shipping, and I had paid extra for the alcantara seat belt outlets, that I believed would also cover the rears, but it arrived with plastic outlets on the rears. Waiting to hear back on what they are going to do about that. Pretty minor on both counts.

The hardest part was sorting through the options... then the wait.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:51 AM
Nemesis721
1st Gear

Default New Build Targa 4 GTS

Thanks for posting your new build and thanks to all those who responded to that post as i've learned a lot. I'm also new to the forum and will hopefully be a first time Porsche Owner...soon. I'm looking to build a Targa 4 GTS. Had very similar questions. PDCC and axle steering...felt a difference from driving a porsche without it and one with...but maybe it was just me. Axle lift? i will park in a parking garage with a steep driveway. Might need to consider it.

Love the sport design tail. Looks really sharp.

Another thing i'm contemplating is if i'm going to regret not getting a turbo. Pricing out a fairly options Targa 4 GTS isn't too far off from a turbo. Putting pricing aside for the sake of the questions below...hoping all of you experienced Porsche experts can chime in and help a confused potential first time Porsche owner make the right decision!

1. Always dreamed of a Turbo (but don't want to buy it because of an old dream)?
2. Was going to go for the turbo, but fell in love with the Targa look (Black with the Black/Bordeaux interior)?
3. Other than 90 extra HP, what are the best defining features of a turbo i won't get in the Targa...and possibly regret?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 04-02-2019, 12:34 PM
dapellegrini
Track Day

Hi Nemesis721 - I have to say I am happy with all the options I took. Love the car.

If you have your heart set on building out your own 911 - you may want to make sure you can get your hands on an "allocation" for the model(s) you are considering. An allocation is Porsche speak for a slot on their production calendar for one of a predetermined number of cars of the exact type you want to buy. Around the first of each month they tell each dealer which allocations they will be allowed to sell - and the more uncommon or desirable your model is - the harder it will be to get one - especially since you don't already have a relationship with a dealer.

As a first time Porsche buyer myself - I had no idea what a circus it is to try and buy the car you want. I did not shop a Turbo, though did briefly consider it. I did shop a GT3 - also similar money to what I spent on the Targa (on paper at least) - but an exercise in the ridiculous trying to actually get one at significantly over MSRP.

In the beginning I naively thought I could just walk in, drop down a bunch of money and have my car on order the next day. If you are in the same camp - prepare yourself for some possible frustration and hassle.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:11 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nemesis, if you feel like you could use some help, feel free to contact me at my company! Link is in my bio.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:38 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

SEE BELOW

Originally Posted by Nemesis721
Thanks for posting your new build and thanks to all those who responded to that post as i've learned a lot. I'm also new to the forum and will hopefully be a first time Porsche Owner...soon. I'm looking to build a Targa 4 GTS. Had very similar questions. PDCC and axle steering...felt a difference from driving a porsche without it and one with...but maybe it was just me. Axle lift? i will park in a parking garage with a steep driveway. Might need to consider it.

Love the sport design tail. Looks really sharp.

Another thing i'm contemplating is if i'm going to regret not getting a turbo. Pricing out a fairly options Targa 4 GTS isn't too far off from a turbo. Putting pricing aside for the sake of the questions below...hoping all of you experienced Porsche experts can chime in and help a confused potential first time Porsche owner make the right decision!

1. Always dreamed of a Turbo (but don't want to buy it because of an old dream)?
2. Was going to go for the turbo, but fell in love with the Targa look (Black with the Black/Bordeaux interior)?
3. Other than 90 extra HP, what are the best defining features of a turbo i won't get in the Targa...and possibly regret?

LOW AND MID RANGE TORQUE - DRIVABILITY AT ALL SPEEDS - BEST LOOKING 911 991.......FRONT AND REAR SPOILERS ARE BETTER LOOKING/FUNCTIONAL.........

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 04-06-2019, 05:06 PM
greeney
Banned

Thanks for this information. Cool stuff!

Congrats to you @dapellegrini on your new whip.

Originally Posted by dapellegrini
Hi Nemesis721 - I have to say I am happy with all the options I took. Love the car.

If you have your heart set on building out your own 911 - you may want to make sure you can get your hands on an "allocation" for the model(s) you are considering. An allocation is Porsche speak for a slot on their production calendar for one of a predetermined number of cars of the exact type you want to buy. Around the first of each month they tell each dealer which allocations they will be allowed to sell - and the more uncommon or desirable your model is - the harder it will be to get one - especially since you don't already have a relationship with a dealer.

As a first time Porsche buyer myself - I had no idea what a circus it is to try and buy the car you want. I did not shop a Turbo, though did briefly consider it. I did shop a GT3 - also similar money to what I spent on the Targa (on paper at least) - but an exercise in the ridiculous trying to actually get one at significantly over MSRP.

In the beginning I naively thought I could just walk in, drop down a bunch of money and have my car on order the next day. If you are in the same camp - prepare yourself for some possible frustration and hassle.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:21 AM
MattMax
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just got Mine last week... Chalk with Alcantera interior

Old 06-13-2019, 05:25 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice, congrats!
Old 06-18-2019, 09:28 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Nice, now start reading the threads in the 991 Forum and join in on the fun.

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2019 Targa 4 GTS