Notices

911 T faster than 991.2 GT3 on mountain roads

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:48 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 911 T faster than 991.2 GT3 on mountain roads

Surprised that both Motor Trend and C&D called the new T faster than the GT3! I guess you can’t beat all the low end torque of the new engines.

On exceedingly narrow mountain roads with many times more curved miles than straight ones, you don’t for a minute pine for the extra 50 hp of a Carrera S and certainly not the 130 extra horsepower of a GT3. I’m extra certain about that last part because we also had a new GT3 Touring (aka rear wing delete) on hand, and it was more often than not too much car for the road.
http://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/201...-drive-review/

And despite the respect we have for the wholly track-worthy GT3, it wasn’t as good a car in this terrain. The taller, less powerful T haunted it with turbocharged torque at every corner exit while Hoovering up the imperfect road surface with far more grace. It was also comfortably quicker in this scenario.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review
Old 02-25-2018, 04:44 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twisties and hills are about useable HP - which means you have to look at the torque curves. Basically the 991T will make more power than the GT3 up to about 5500RPM (roughly) and if the roads are rough the somewhat softer set up in the T may impart better grip. So its not really a surprise if you think about it

The most important thing to keep in mind is these cars are intended to offer different driving experiences to cater for different tastes.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:32 AM
Surge74
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, it’s all about the low end torque when not on the track. You’re not red lining the GT3 much on road.

My SLS AMG has over 500 hp and HP and torque displayed in real time. You never even come close to using 500 hp on the road, including the highway. It’s all about the torque at low rpm.

It’s good to keep this in mind. I won’t be challenging a base 911 on a winding country road in my GT3!
Old 02-25-2018, 07:05 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
Yes, it’s all about the low end torque when not on the track. You’re not red lining the GT3 much on road.
That's a misconception. You are not red redlining only when performance is not the goal. If performance is not the goal, comparing performance is irrelevant. If performance is a goal, not shifting at redline is nothing but a mistake.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

My Raptor with a bone stock boosted 510 lb-ft of torque can get go & scoot pretty darn quick....... until a turn arrives.

Quick Reply: 911 T faster than 991.2 GT3 on mountain roads