Notices

What happens to all the Porsches at Barber?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:05 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 223 Posts
Default What happens to all the Porsches at Barber?!

I've been tracking my Audi S4 and Porsche GT4 at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama for a few years. Every time I go I see the overwhelming fleet of Porsche cars waiting to be driven in the school they have on site.

https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...driving-school

Once these cars are deemed too old to teach, where do they go? Does anyone have one?

Name:  ZC1noJ8.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  1.95 MB

Old 02-15-2018, 11:52 PM
porshanut
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I don’t know what they do now, but I bought an ‘02 Carrera from a dealer (as new with an appropriate discount) with 11,000 miles that had never been titled. It came from the Porsche Driving Experience at then, Road Atlanta with a disclaimer and a complete explanation of the inspection and appropriate work done to the car. Brakes and transmission checked and rebuilt, front bumper respray, in essence, a CPO inspection, done in Charleston (at that time their port of entry). All work performed by Porsche factory technicians. I may have driven this car when I attended the PDE. It was the best running 911 I have ever owned. You wouldn’t believe how free the engine revved. Those cars were driven hard every day in the school, but only after they were warmed up properly and then serviced at the appropriate intervals. Wish I knew what they do with the current “school cars”.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:02 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

Would love to know as well. that is a ton of cars, and the look pretty current.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Corrado79
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got back this weekend and asked this specific question coincidentally. The cars all eventually get "retired" at some point after about a year or less, at which point the cars go back to the port for a full inspection and rebuilding/repair as necessary, just like Porshanut explained. And then they are sold to the general public.

I was also told that on more than one occasion, those attending the school have requested specific cars to purchase, via VIN number, once "retired."

Given the fact that they are re-sold, some the options selected and colors chosen are to aid in resale value.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by porshanut
I don’t know what they do now, but I bought an ‘02 Carrera from a dealer (as new with an appropriate discount) with 11,000 miles that had never been titled. It came from the Porsche Driving Experience at then, Road Atlanta with a disclaimer and a complete explanation of the inspection and appropriate work done to the car. Brakes and transmission checked and rebuilt, front bumper respray, in essence, a CPO inspection, done in Charleston (at that time their port of entry). All work performed by Porsche factory technicians. I may have driven this car when I attended the PDE. It was the best running 911 I have ever owned. You wouldn’t believe how free the engine revved. Those cars were driven hard every day in the school, but only after they were warmed up properly and then serviced at the appropriate intervals. Wish I knew what they do with the current “school cars”.
No doubt the folks at the porsche school at Barber provide the cars with good service.

But when I was there for the masters course last summer, there was no warm up. The cars were driven hard as soon as the day started. In fact, our group had a brand new set of 718 boxster s cars...when I got in- it had 9 miles and was 80 degree oil temp. Literally right off the truck and onto the track that morning.

I asked our instructor about this, and he said they rarely have any problems operating this way.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:07 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Corrado79
Just got back this weekend and asked this specific question coincidentally. The cars all eventually get "retired" at some point after about a year or less, at which point the cars go back to the port for a full inspection and rebuilding/repair as necessary, just like Porshanut explained. And then they are sold to the general public.

I was also told that on more than one occasion, those attending the school have requested specific cars to purchase, via VIN number, once "retired."

Given the fact that they are re-sold, some the options selected and colors chosen are to aid in resale value.
Thanks for the details. I had also heard they go back to the general public... yet I'm not sure I've seen one show up at a local dealer. When I was searching for a GT4 I thought this would be a great source. I wonder if taking the school might get you a better chance.

I think I also heard that they are sold as-new, even with track school wear on them, because of not being titled to a person.

Quick Reply: What happens to all the Porsches at Barber?!