Notices

Asheville, NC Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 04:34 PM
Caleb Everett
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asheville, NC Winter Driving

Hi, my girlfriend and I are planning on going up to the Biltmore Estate for Christmas. I'm trying to figure out if it's safe to drive my Porsche Cayman up there on its current tires. I don't want to buy winter tires or all-seasons since I'm in Jacksonville, FL and it never really gets cold enough here to need them (sometimes it does, but I just stay home those days). Currently, I have 245/40ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the front and 275/40ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the rear. I've been told they're much like the PSSes (which I've had on track in the 30s at Roebling Road Raceway in Savannah in January) but a bit better. Do people with Porsches in Asheville switch tires for winter or should I be okay on the ones I have now? We expect to do a bit of spirited driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway as well while we're up there.

EDIT: Additional information: I talked to Michelin about it and they say the recommended minimum temperature is 40F but won't say whether or not they're okay to drive on at less than that given the liability on their part.

Thanks
Caleb
Old 11-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Caleb Everett
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to a Tire Rack rep about this. He said it's questionable border-line unsafe to drive them less than 45 degrees. Given that we can take her car (a Mazda 6 with All-Season Bridgestones), we're going to go with the safer option (even if it's less fun to drive).
Old 11-15-2017, 10:35 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Caleb, it all might depend on the weather during your trip. If colder than average (or if you get out early morning) the road surfaces could be frosty, and your summer tires might be hard and gripless.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I Iive in Asheville and Christmas and I guess weather may be 20F-55F. I don't put on winter tires, since snow days are limited. When the weather is bad the car stay in the garage.

I am not much help, most likely you will be okay.

Quick Reply: Asheville, NC Winter Driving