Notices

Differential Fluid Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 02:25 PM
rennsteve1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Fluid Recommendation?

Looking for a budget friendly recommendation for an 2001 Boxster S, manual, standard differential. So many options, even Pelican has 1/2 dozen available. Thks in advance.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:27 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Use the Porsche 75W90 product bought from places like Suncoast Porsche or Sunset Imports.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:34 PM
rennsteve1
Banned

The Porsche stuff is quite pricy, Ive heard one of the BG fluids is a good choice, but don't know which specific fluid that is..
Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 PM
CaliRat
5th Gear

Who is the OEM of the Porsche stuff?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:57 PM
rennsteve1
Banned

I actually decided to use Swepco 201 which is going in tomorrow. The reason I was asking is that I am hearing some drive train noise, as evidence by engaging/disengaging the clutch. It seems it is getting worse, but Im not positive. I also notice that very slight gas seems to minimize noise. Noise is quite evident when coasting in gear (and thus slowing down under load). I do hear it under acceleration as well. I dont recall if that was before or after a recent fluid change, but I had used a synthetic, which I was advised was inappropriate. I will update over next few weeks if any improvement.

Any comments as to how to isolate/pinpoint the source of the noise would be helpful.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:07 AM
rennsteve1
Banned

Just a followup: The drive train noise was not any different after the fluid change. I ended up having to rebuild the tranny. There were a few bad bearings in it. After the rebuild (which another group did), I reinstalled the tranny. The tranny has Swepco 201 in it. (Before that is was some other brand). Its been about 6 months now, and I am running into a pretty hard shift. And by hard shift, I mean that the car response is like a mild sudden jerk, not that there is really any difficulty in terms of my interface with the shift. While there was a warranty on the rebuild, the vendor is not cooperative. He wants me to pull the tranny and will run it on his test rig, but apparently is not even willing to take a test drive before that just to help debug if its tranny or maybe a clutch issue or something else. So I am left to my own as Im sure fighting it will go nowhere.

Its VERY notificeable first thing in the morning when I BACK out of the garage. It seems I am able to fully disengage the clutch without issue. I have about 2 inches of play from off the floor before the clutch seems to engage. And then moving into forward gear, I get a pretty hard gear engagement as well going into first and I think it is there in other gears as well. I am thinking that is this issue is showing in all gear transitions, then it should not be the tranny, but more associated with the clutch, but Im no expert.

I also dont know if the fluid level is correct, but id have to order a gallon of Swepco (which I believe is a 80w90 weight gear oil) just to top it off if it were not. Ive also read from pelican where pretty much any hypoid 75w90 oil should be fine. Im a bit reluctant to order the Swepco again. I do know they did want more Swepco when then rebuilt it, which I gave them what I had left, but dont know if they refilled it properly. I did the tranny reinstall and it was a pain to get back in just using a jack stand. Eventually, I had someone come by with a tranny jack and it went it smoothly, but I dont know if the initial attempts caused a problem.

In any case, my basic questions are, opinions on a suitable inexpensive gear oil to try? thoughts on how to debug this tranny issue without ripping it all apart?
Old 06-24-2018, 09:27 PM
syswizard
Intermediate

This is recommended for the differential side of the PDK....at least for my 981 Boxster:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-25-2018, 05:11 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

FUCHS - OEM supplier - Transmission Fluid, (Transaxle) SAE 75W-90 (1 Liter)
Part #: 999-917-546-00-M862
Old 06-27-2018, 08:21 PM
rennsteve1
Banned

Thanks, anyone have any comments on the sympton side of things? possible causes? does it sound like it can be a a core tranny issue outside of a fluid level issue?? Could it be just fluid level? Damaged clutch bearing from fighting the reinstall? Clutch slave cylinder sticking? Should those clutch slave cylinder tips be greased? I'm also located in Vegas and this is an 01 Boxster S
Old 07-01-2018, 05:06 AM
syswizard
Intermediate

Ah...you have a manual transmission and my post was related to a PDK transmission.
Sorry...cannot help with your issue.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:56 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by rennsteve1
Just a followup: The drive train noise was not any different after the fluid change. I ended up having to rebuild the tranny. There were a few bad bearings in it. After the rebuild (which another group did), I reinstalled the tranny. The tranny has Swepco 201 in it. (Before that is was some other brand). Its been about 6 months now, and I am running into a pretty hard shift. And by hard shift, I mean that the car response is like a mild sudden jerk, not that there is really any difficulty in terms of my interface with the shift. While there was a warranty on the rebuild, the vendor is not cooperative. He wants me to pull the tranny and will run it on his test rig, but apparently is not even willing to take a test drive before that just to help debug if its tranny or maybe a clutch issue or something else. So I am left to my own as Im sure fighting it will go nowhere.

Its VERY notificeable first thing in the morning when I BACK out of the garage. It seems I am able to fully disengage the clutch without issue. I have about 2 inches of play from off the floor before the clutch seems to engage. And then moving into forward gear, I get a pretty hard gear engagement as well going into first and I think it is there in other gears as well. I am thinking that is this issue is showing in all gear transitions, then it should not be the tranny, but more associated with the clutch, but Im no expert.

I also dont know if the fluid level is correct, but id have to order a gallon of Swepco (which I believe is a 80w90 weight gear oil) just to top it off if it were not. Ive also read from pelican where pretty much any hypoid 75w90 oil should be fine. Im a bit reluctant to order the Swepco again. I do know they did want more Swepco when then rebuilt it, which I gave them what I had left, but dont know if they refilled it properly. I did the tranny reinstall and it was a pain to get back in just using a jack stand. Eventually, I had someone come by with a tranny jack and it went it smoothly, but I dont know if the initial attempts caused a problem.

In any case, my basic questions are, opinions on a suitable inexpensive gear oil to try? thoughts on how to debug this tranny issue without ripping it all apart?
There are some uncertainties I would handle first. Confirm that your fill level is correct and know exactly what fluid is in the car. You can only do that by draining and refilling. I will say Swepco performs better in some gear boxes than others. I use Swepco in my SC but Redline in my 993. I arrived on these selections after trying them both. Here’s what I would do in your case:
1) confirm from your owners manual or your dealer the exact weight required and whether a friction modifier is recommended. Confirm both.
2) I would use this opportunity to try another brand. I like Redline; you could try that. Worse case go back to Swepco.

I arrived at the best option for me after trials. Some just appeared to work better in both cold and hot situations.
1) con

Quick Reply: Differential Fluid Recommendation?