Notices

Can someone identify the model/year please

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 01:07 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Can someone identify the model/year please

I came across this picture. I fly for Delta and intend to hang the picture in my office. I am not great with classic models. Can someone please give me an idea on model and year of the car please?
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2017, 01:59 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

If anyone is interested the aircraft is a Curtis C-46. Delta flew them from 1957-1967.
Someone suggested to me the Porsche is a 1954 356. Does that seem correct?

Found this similar picture also.
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2017, 11:11 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Someone suggested to me the Porsche is a 1954 356. Does that seem correct?
Well it is definitely a 356, of that you can be sure! It is either a "pre-A," or an early "A." An expert can likely spot the difference, I am not one.

Judging between the fender badge and circular rear lamps, I'm going to say it is a '54-'56, a Continental or European model. The 356 "pre-A" was built until 1955, the 356A started in 1956.

The Continental and European models were fairly standard. Rare in themselves but I don't think they had special options. The Carrera is the factory hotrod, has a twin cam engine. It may not have started until '57 though?

If you have an analogue copy (or bigger digital copy) you can see if the fender badge is legible.

The badge looks like it might be "European," which I think would make this a 1956 356A European. But I could be wrong.

I would recommend asking the 356 forum (here or on Pelican Parts), surely someone can narrow it down. I'm not much of a 356 expert.

For what it's worth, the second one looks like a 1963 Ferrari 330 LM Berlinetta. I'm not much of a Ferrari expert either.

Oh, and the lift truck says Dodge, so it must be a Dodge.

Must have been interesting maneuvering the cars into the fuselage.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful planes, beautiful cars!
_

An aside; this reminds of my to-date favorite Porsche article title: Panamera of the Pan-Am era. It's about a four-door Porsche 911 from the late sixties.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 09-16-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:37 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Well it is definitely a 356, of that you can be sure! It is either a "pre-A," or an early "A." An expert can likely spot the difference, I am not one.

Judging between the fender badge and circular rear lamps, I'm going to say it is a '54-'56, a Continental or European model. The 356 "pre-A" was built until 1955, the 356A started in 1956.

The Continental and European models were fairly standard. Rare in themselves but I don't think they had special options. The Carrera is the factory hotrod, has a twin cam engine. It may not have started until '57 though?

If you have an analogue copy (or bigger digital copy) you can see if the fender badge is legible.

The badge looks like it might be "European," which I think would make this a 1956 356A European. But I could be wrong.

I would recommend asking the 356 forum (here or on Pelican Parts), surely someone can narrow it down. I'm not much of a 356 expert.

For what it's worth, the second one looks like a 1963 Ferrari 330 LM Berlinetta. I'm not much of a Ferrari expert either.

Oh, and the lift truck says Dodge, so it must be a Dodge.

Must have been interesting maneuvering the cars into the fuselage.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful planes, beautiful cars!
_

An aside; this reminds of my to-date favorite Porsche article title: Panamera of the Pan-Am era. It's about a four-door Porsche 911 from the late sixties.
Thank you for the informative reply.
I only have the digital copy of this picture and the resolution is not good enough to blow up and view the fender badge.
Good thought about posting on the 356 forum. May get more expert eyes on it there.
Since Delta did not start operating with this aircraft until mid 1957 I wonder if this would help determine the year. OF course the car appears to have a license plate already so I would assume it is not new at the time of this photo.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:06 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Cool photos. I assume that "custom" air transport for vehicles was at least as expensive 50 years ago. Do you think a standard 356 would be worth the expense? Could this be a Delta publicity shot?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Cool photos. I assume that "custom" air transport for vehicles was at least as expensive 50 years ago. Do you think a standard 356 would be worth the expense? Could this be a Delta publicity shot?
Maybe so, possibly used for advertising or something. It is interesting the other picture I found with the Ferrari is almost exactly the same orientation and everything. It is like they were making the same picture a few years later with a newer car.

I did post this on the 356 forum and did some additional research.
It appears the badge on the front fender says "continental". That was a 1 year only badge on the 1955 356 that was imported to the USA. It seems relatively certain the Porsche is a 1955.

Quick Reply: Can someone identify the model/year please