Notices

Is Porsche Doomed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:27 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Porsche Doomed?

According to this article they are. But Its a pretty neat article, not so much for the idea that Porsche is doomed, but more of the commentary on the cars and why we, as car guys, love them...and all ICE cars for that matter. Its a cool way to think of cars and how what we know and love really is living on life support at this time.

https://www.motorists.org/blog/porsche-is-doomed/
Old 09-01-2017, 11:14 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Well even though this is based off an assumption there are a few good points he makes. He seems to understand the value and connection one feels to a flat 6. He gets how soulless the electric feels.

I think P will continue to make gas engine cars for as long as possible and I don't fear that they are "dead". They will just evolve as they always have focusing in on performance....I hope.

One certainly is that politics are going to kill the gas motor eventually.

Hold onto those NA's!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Sub'd

I.O.O.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Kaduku
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsykes
According to this article they are. But Its a pretty neat article, not so much for the idea that Porsche is doomed, but more of the commentary on the cars and why we, as car guys, love them...and all ICE cars for that matter. Its a cool way to think of cars and how what we know and love really is living on life support at this time.

https://www.motorists.org/blog/porsche-is-doomed/
I maybe buried by then, but my CGTS will be worth millions one day lol

Last edited by Kaduku; 09-10-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

The engine is important but there is more to a Porsche than the engine alone. An electric Porsche is not interchangeable with a Prius or even a Tesla. There will always be a reason to buy a Porsche over the competition, electric or not.

Technology changes but the core values that drive the company and the exceptional engineers who create the vehicles will not.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:07 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

It brings to mind the 'buggy whip' argument when I read junk like that. All the frantic desperation of the horse and carriage crowd at the notion of 'those infernal machines'. What was once an unthinkably important aspect of travel largely disappeared. No doubt the same will happen regarding ICE and electric. Change happens, people adapt.

Anyone that's driven a Porsche that shares a platform (Cayenne/Touareg) will tell you there's a huge difference in the driving experience. No doubt Porsche will continue to apply their best efforts to continue that experience, ICE or electric.

Tangentially to lamenting the ICE demise is the emergence of really clever things like Koenigsegg's cam-less valve train and Mazda's HCCI. Two really great improvements which may come too late for general purpose vehicle ICE use.

Last edited by wkearney99; 09-10-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Porsche Doomed?