Notices

Looking for a good Insurance in France...

Old 09-18-2017, 04:37 PM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
You have to have five years of 1-year cartes. Then you are eligible to make an application for a 10-year. It's like the last 1-year plus:

1. Proof of financial resources ≥ SMIC over last 5 years. This was a bit complicated with our income being Australian and non-salary. We needed the help of a friend living in France to convince them they were being too pedantic and should just accept our history of having sufficient funds in our French account.
2. Copy of property title.
3. Statement to honour the principles of the French Republic.
4. Proof of sufficient knowledge of the French language. We provided signed letters from French course providers describing what we had done. At the end of the handover of documents and fingerprinting they ask a few simple questions in French to test your comprehension. They want to know that you will be able to communicate with emergency services should the need arise. We didn't know this and on our first application were caught by surprise. Our very limited French deserted us so we only got another 1-year carte. We studied more over the following 12 months and scraped through the following year.
5. Justification of intention to stay long term in France.
6. Proof of health insurance. My wife and I have Australian travel insurance (6 months on the credit card, an extra month from an online company) and we had to get a translation of the relevant clauses by an accredited translator.

Time consuming but well worth it to save the annual applications.
Wow, I asked about a longer carte at the prefecture last July during my annual renewal and they said there is no other carte de sejour for "visiteurs." When did you apply for your 10-year carte and do you know the type of carte? I researched via servicepublic.fr and didn't see any category of long-term carte that I fit into.

Thanks for any info!
Old 09-18-2017, 08:30 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had at least five 1-year cartes? That is mandatory.

Our 10-year carte is a Titre de Sejour: Carte de Resident de Longue Duree - UE. We applied in March 2016. As far as I remember I couldn't find a long term carte application that matched our circumstances either. We just used the same Demande de Titre de Séjour form as for the 1-year carte, submitted the same documents, were asked a few questions in French to test our comprehension and were then given a list of the extra documents required for the 10-year carte.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:13 PM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
Have you had at least five 1-year cartes? That is mandatory.

Our 10-year carte is a Titre de Sejour: Carte de Resident de Longue Duree - UE. We applied in March 2016. As far as I remember I couldn't find a long term carte application that matched our circumstances either. We just used the same Demande de Titre de Séjour form as for the 1-year carte, submitted the same documents, were asked a few questions in French to test our comprehension and were then given a list of the extra documents required for the 10-year carte.
Yup, I've had five 1-year cartes. But per the service-public.fr site, to qualify one has to have resided in France for 5 years uninterrupted, with maximum absences of 6 months and total absences (presumably over 5 years) of 10 months. How closely did they look at the at the time you were out of France over the prior five years, since you mentioned that your place there was a second home?

Again, I really appreciate your follow-up! 👍
Old 09-18-2017, 11:14 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have spent just over 7 months in one block each year based in France with a few weeks of that time each year out of Schengen so about 6 months in Schengen and most or all of that time in France. However with almost no border control within Schengen there is no way for anyone to know how much of that time you are in France.

We had to provide Justificatifs de l'intention de s'installer durablement en France (Proof of intention to settle permanently in France), which sounded like a problem. We wrote that we had spent 7 months each year in Europe with 6 of them in France and wished to continue doing so; that we had contributed to the French economy by buying a new French car, using French tradesmen to renovate our house, insuring both with French companies and spending a month each year going to small hotels and restaurants in different regions of France; and that we hoped that having owned the same house and car and had the same bank account in France for eight years plus having recently purchased a second car and having spent the same period every year in France for seven years would be accepted as proof of the stability of our residence, past and future. It was.

We found from the start that a lot of the visa process sounds intimidating and the websites are hopelessly complex and muddled (unlike the one for paying fines, which is the easiest website of any kind anywhere that I have used!) but once you meet the officials it's mostly quite casual.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:30 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

axa international, agence Limonier ,
rue de France Nice 06000
they all speak English
you could contact Julie

Bonne chance
Konstantin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a good Insurance in France...