For Sale Ads - (Member to Member FS/WTB/Free)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket
Mark this thread as Unsold

For Sale: 1984 928S 5 speed 72,780 miles $9500

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 928S 5 speed 72,780 miles $9500

SOLD

VIN: WP0JB0924ES862829

pro-date: 08/84

M185 2 point rear seat belts

M190 Door side bars

M438 Comfort electric seat right side

M481 Manual transmission

M484 Symbols for instruments and controls

M494 Additional amplifier

M490 Sound package

M576 No rear fog light

M650 Electric sunroof

I happened upon this car about a month ago. The 2nd owner contacted me through a friend of a friend of a friend sort of arrangement. He was getting older and just wasn't using the car the last few years. I tossed around the idea of having this as my dd but have decided my BMW is better suited for that. I have a 987.1 3.4 ltr Boxster creation as my "fun" car so this 928 is on the block.

The car was sold new 1/26/1985 here in Seattle at University Porsche/Audi which is still around however not a Porsche dealer. A local butcher/meat shop owner was the 1st owner. He traded his 1981 928 in on this 1984. In 1992 he traded the car in to Barrier Porsche (Seattle area) with 18k miles.

The 2nd owner was a local salon owner who intially drove the car a fair bit, but hardly at all the last 5 years. He also had a 928S4 automatic that he sold a few years back.

Mechanically, this car is solid and well maintained. It does have some needs however. Included are lots of service records indicating routine maintenance over the years at the dealer and at some quality local indy shops. Brakes, radiators, tires, antenna motors, timing belts, water pumps, alternators, tranny mainshafts and bearings, clutch hydraulics, etc., etc. Adding up the $$$ spent on service/repairs for the records I have would probably scare any sane person away from 928 ownership lol

Most recently, it had a new timing belt/water pump/lof/etc., at Squire's Autowerke in Bellevue, Wa. That was 8/31/2011 at 72,468 miles and came to $2863.85. Local Seattle 928 nerds may be wondering how this can be since Squire stopped working on 928's a few years ago. This guy had been such a good customer that Squire brought in local 928 expert tech Leif Johnson on a moonlight mission to do the job.

The tires are matching/minty, the brakes are recent, the battery is new, yada, yada... <HOWEVER> ... as I said, there are needs!

The oil pan gasket is a gusher, a weeping *****, a mini-Porsche Exxon Valdez in training. I'm sure the bolts are finger tight but I have not even tried snugging them up as has been suggested by a couple shops. I'm an all or nothing sort of guy you see. The gasket at the back of the cam tower on the passenger side bank is leaking too. I have receipts for the other side having been done before.

The motor mounts are original and I'm sure should be replaced due to age. The are no symptoms of them being bad however.

2nd gear is not so happy when cold. I swapped in some Redline to replace the Swepco that was in there and now it takes even longer to be happy lol. Once warm it works okayish but clearly not like when it was new.

The rear hatch release does not work with the cockpit release gizmos. You can hear the mechanism work when you pull the ***** and it even makes that healthy "pop" sound but you still have to use the key to open the hatch. An adjustment or lubing is probably all that is required but I do not know that for sure.

The door locks work, however they do not lock/unlock together. When using the key from either door, only that door will lock/unlock. The button on the console works and makes both doors lock/unlock. I suspect it has something to do with the aftermarket remote control lock/unlock/alarm/Ungo Box thing that the 2nd owner had installed years ago.

The blue light that indicates hi beam does not iluminate on the dash. The hi beams work fine otherwise.

The power antenna does not go down automatically. I have receipts that it has been replaced at least once, but it does not work now. I have not tried to manually push it down. It does seem to get good radio reception at least.

Cosmetically this car is a winner. It very clearly has never been wacked or messed about with. The only area I can find that has been redone is the driver door above the rub strip. I'm gussing it got keyed or some other thing happened and someone painted that portion of the door. The paint in that area is now showing tiny little bubbles if you look closely.

Everywhere else on the exterior of the car is original. I waxed/polished it and while it is nowhere near concours quality it shows very, very well for a 27 year old red car. All the other exterior rubber/glass bits are tremendous. The windshield must be original since it has some cool decals on the inside that I'm sure only came on a 928 when it was new.

The wheels got polished at some point in the past and look ok if you like that sort of thing. The oe wheel locks are still in place.

The interior is a time capsule. The dash, instrument pod, seats, door panels, trim, headliner, sunvisors, etc., etc., are all top shelf. The driver side outer seat bolster does have some minor wear however. It did have an aftermarket Eclipse CD5444 installed some years ago but at least it was done well and works ok. The rear hatch area side panels are not warped from heat or sun exposure. The cargo privacy shade and bungie net appeared to me to have never been used. I installed them for the pics.

All the tools are in place as are all the bits in there with the spare tire. Includes one factory key and wheel lock key. Tons of service records, owner's manual, warranty/service manual, original bill of sale ($48,449.95 plus $993.00 licensing fee), stereo owner's manual, etc.

I just installed new hood/rear hatch support struts and new Bosch wipers front/rear. I also just replaced the original coolant overflow tank and rad cap.

pm or email kie@redlabelmoto.com or call/text 206 369 4879

commentary welcome

The pic below is looking "up" at the oil leak from the passenger side valve cover area:

Last edited by kiesan; 01-04-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: sold car
Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Old 12-03-2011, 05:59 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice write up Kie. Who's the fox on that last pic?

GLWS broham
Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 209 Posts

Gorgeous.

Car too. Absolutely fantastic originality for an '84.

Good luck with the sale, Kie.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool! GLWS. Great price imho as well.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:36 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Default brrrr... a cold, clear night in Seattle

Old 12-06-2011, 09:52 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Dear Santa: All I want for X-Mas is your promise I never have to change the coolant tank on a 928 ever again as long as I'm breathing.

The oe unit was weepy so I couldn't resist:

In my bike shop...

Old 12-18-2011, 01:03 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Had a small worn area on the driver side outer seat bolster. Just tried some Urad 1-Step. Man it sure seems to work. Don't know for how long but hey it looks good now.

ttt

before...

after...

Old 12-19-2011, 12:14 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing original 928S! This should sell fast.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:25 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

getting crowded in here

Old 12-31-2011, 09:20 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Was too crowded in my bike shop so I drove the 928 home. Man it sure likes cold/clear 35 degree weather. A couple phone pics before I popped her in the garage.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

In the rain on I-5... headed to a local Seattle-area shop for a ppi.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Default bye bye 928S

ppi passed, negotiations successful... car is sold. headed east she is.

thanks Rennlist

Quick Reply: For Sale: 1984 928S 5 speed 72,780 miles $9500