Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Getting car cleaned prior to drop-off

Old 05-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Getting car cleaned prior to drop-off

I will be picking up a 911 in June at Leipzig, and be dropping it off for shipment at the authorized drop-off point in Sindelfingen. I was wondering about having the car washed prior to drop-off so that I and the inspector could see and agree as to any flaws. What are your thoughts? Any suggestions where to get the car washed in the Stuttgart area?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:23 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,137 Likes on 978 Posts

Google "car wash in Stuttgart". There are plenty of spots.

I got my 981 car washed a couple times during my last ED trip in 2013. Doing the same thing you are doing but a month later in a C4.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:22 AM
motobell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it matter? I am currently driving around in my new 991.2 and will drop off next week - since I wasn't asked to I am not planning on taking it to a car wash and scratching it - I would rather let Porsche handle it. Again I see you point about having a clean car to agree on any damage.but is it necessary?
Old 05-03-2017, 02:57 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

I doubt your car would be so dirty so as to note damage. Anything notable will be visible either way. And since they don't put protective covering on the car on its way home, wait till you see how dirty it is when it gets to your dealer...

I hosed mine off before drop off. Mostly for brake dust on the wheels and bug/tar residue. When it got delivered in the US it was filthy and still covered in rubber marks from track time. I told them not to wash it and had a detailer handle it. Once washed I had a couple of small claims but they took care of it without question.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:53 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,137 Likes on 560 Posts

IMHO, No reason to wash the car before dropping off. It will get plenty dirty during transportation. Get it sorted after delivery. Any imperfections they do not see because of dirt during drop off are on them, so dirtier car is not a liability to you.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:55 PM
LOUISSSSS
Intermediate

I used a touchless car wash in Leipzig prior to dropping it off. it consisted of inserting coins and pressing a button if u want water, inserting more coins for soap, then again for high pressure water to wash everything off. my car was filthy from the 2500 miles I drove across the vineyards of france and Belgium. front and sizes were covered in bugs and dirt kicked up from rain. the car is currently on a boat coming back to rhode island now.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:55 PM
motobell
Intermediate

Just FYI.. I returned my car dirty yesterday in Frankfurt and they had issues in giving completely clean certificate.. process was very efficienct. Can't wait to get it stateside
Old 05-13-2017, 07:51 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We did our delivery/drop-off in Oct 2016. There was a do-it-yourself car wash super close (unfortunately I don't remember name/street) that was open 24hrs. I ran about $20 thru doing multi soapings and rinses. I am in the camp that it is better to see any flaws caused by rock chips etc during the euro drive, than to think they did it on the ship over.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:23 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Washing is not a requirement for transit w/ Porsche though it is for BMW and maybe others.

I tried using a DIY wash in Frankfurt a few years ago and once it dried it looked like the 20 euros or so that I put through the machine produced crap results without having a wash mitt to make contact with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting car cleaned prior to drop-off