Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Need US insurance prior to taking ED?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:55 PM
LOUISSSSS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need US insurance prior to taking ED?

So I'm set to do my ED on March 21st in 2 weeks from today. My salesperson at the dealership in NY is asking me to come in this Saturday 3/11 to fill out any final paperwork before I fly out. He's also asking me to have my insurance card brought in dated 3/11. So basically, Is it true that I need to have auto insurance for the car even though I'm insurance by Porsche for the entire time the car is in Europ and my car won't be back until 2 months later?

My understanding was that I only need insurance once the car is picked up by me in NY, correct?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:06 PM
PolarExplorer
2nd Gear

You shouldn't need insurance. My dealer asked for a "current insurance card" when I signed the final paperwork, which I didn't have as I didn't have a car at the time. It wasn't a problem. Picked the car up in Leipzig without issue and then bought insurance back in the US the day I went to pick the car up.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:16 PM
LOUISSSSS
Intermediate

great, thanks
Old 03-09-2017, 07:22 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

You do not need US insurance for ED.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:02 PM
LOUISSSSS
Intermediate

Yep, now I know. I signed all loan paperwork yesterday with dealership without us car insurance in place. The sales guy is just an idiot...
Old 03-15-2017, 03:13 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

In my experince (California), the sales contract was written up and signed prior to my flying over the pond. So, I can understand why he might think so. Then that contract was torn up and a new/final contract signed once my car made it back on home soil. At this point you have to insure the car. While you're in Europe, Porsche pays. I kept my car there the whole summer, so I had to pay extra for the additional insurance duration. It wasn't cheap either.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:25 PM
LOUISSSSS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Abigail78630
I Read an article here
Best Auto Insurance Policy which boost my mind to take an auto insurance for my Audi Q7 - A3 Sedan - 2017 and now a days I am forcing my friends to take auto insurance.This is very helpful article
spam

i'm interested to know why they would tear up your paper and re-do when the car is back. i hope theres no surprises for when i return. i did write them a $15k personal check for additional down payment at closing which they didn't even cash yet and its been 5 days.

Quick Reply: Need US insurance prior to taking ED?