Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

license plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 01:59 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question license plate bracket

I'll be picking up my GT4 in Zuffenhausen in a few weeks. The car will have the bracket up front to hold the license plate. The bracket has to be returned with the car. What tool should I bring with me to remove the license plate itself to keep as a souvenir? A philips or flathead screwdriver? Any sharp knife? Don't know if if I can bring a leatherman on an airplane, but will check.

thanks,
david
Old 06-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Pattymac
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

Your car should have a tool kit with a screwdriver. Porsche recommended that i use that to remove the plate. For me it turned out to be unnecessary as the guy who accepted the car removed it for me. I returned my car after hours in Sindelfingen though.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:42 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

When I dropped off my car, they told me I absolutely could not remove the plates, as that's how they identify the car during transport. It made sense and I didn't want to argue with them, so I left them (and I couldn't find a screwdriver in the kit,either; there was a tow hook). They did say they'd put a note in the car to save the plates, but I'm not counting on getting them back.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:15 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only plate required for shipment is the rear plate. Front plate comes off the bracket easy...
Old 06-06-2016, 05:37 PM
pefman
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting. I picked up my GT4 in Leipzig a few days ago. I brought with me a bracket that mounts via the tow hook, but the guys at the factory were loathe to use it for attaching the front plate as they said German police would not accept it. They tie wrapped my front plate to the middle grill and said I should be ok as I am not tracking the car while in Europe. So far, 1000 km and no temp issues (I check it regularly) -- and it looks great. And by the way, it has been hot where we are.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:40 AM
Pattymac
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

When I picked up my car in Zuffenhausen a month ago, Porsche asked if I wanted to use the tow hook bracket or drill the bumper. They didn't offer any other solutions. I selected tow hook since my state doesn't require front plates.
Here's a pic in case you'd like to see how it looks. The only issue I had was with the parking sensors. The plate caused the right front sensor to alert so I would just deactivate it on each drive (button near the rear view mirror).

Old 06-07-2016, 12:55 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
I'll be picking up my GT4 in Zuffenhausen in a few weeks. The car will have the bracket up front to hold the license plate. The bracket has to be returned with the car. What tool should I bring with me to remove the license plate itself to keep as a souvenir? A philips or flathead screwdriver? Any sharp knife? Don't know if if I can bring a leatherman on an airplane, but will check. thanks, david
David, are we allowed to remove BOTH front and rear plates as souvenirs?
Old 06-07-2016, 08:40 AM
docfink
Pro

Default tie wrap removal...

I'm not a huge traveler outside the country, so I'll check to see if I can bring a small knife on an internationally traveling plane. I doubt someone will be at the zuffenhausen drop-off to cut it off for me.

thanks,

df
Originally Posted by pefman
Interesting. I picked up my GT4 in Leipzig a few days ago. I brought with me a bracket that mounts via the tow hook, but the guys at the factory were loathe to use it for attaching the front plate as they said German police would not accept it. They tie wrapped my front plate to the middle grill and said I should be ok as I am not tracking the car while in Europe. So far, 1000 km and no temp issues (I check it regularly) -- and it looks great. And by the way, it has been hot where we are.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:41 AM
docfink
Pro

Default These are the options Porsche gave me...

, and I signed off on the tow hook...

Originally Posted by pefman
Originally Posted by Pattymac
When I picked up my car in Zuffenhausen a month ago, Porsche asked if I wanted to use the tow hook bracket or drill the bumper. They didn't offer any other solutions. I selected tow hook since my state doesn't require front plates.
Here's a pic in case you'd like to see how it looks. The only issue I had was with the parking sensors. The plate caused the right front sensor to alert so I would just deactivate it on each drive (button near the rear view mirror).

Old 06-07-2016, 10:25 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
David, are we allowed to remove BOTH front and rear plates as souvenirs?
I'm not David, but the answer is no. You can take your front plate home with you but not your rear plate. I don't know when they take the rear plate off but it was not there when I picked up my car from the dealer after it was shipped back.

I had the Millworks plate on the front tow hook in Stuttgart. It worked great up to 160mph. I did have to disable the parking sensors also and I had to install it (they would not). I brought tools with me.

Leipzig is a little different. I've seen tie wraps, tow hook plates, and duct tape. Stuttgart will not use duct tape or tie wraps.

Incidentally, be sure that your dealer removes the suspension spacers (used for shipping) upon arrival at the dealership. Mine were left in for a year and they damaged the seal on the shocks. The dealer did not do their normal inspection on a new car because mine was ED and arrived as if "used". I never noticed it until first oil change.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:57 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I'm not David, but the answer is no. You can take your front plate home with you but not your rear plate. I don't know when they take the rear plate off but it was not there when I picked up my car from the dealer after it was shipped back. I had the Millworks plate on the front tow hook in Stuttgart. It worked great up to 160mph. I did have to disable the parking sensors also and I had to install it (they would not). I brought tools with me. Leipzig is a little different. I've seen tie wraps, tow hook plates, and duct tape. Stuttgart will not use duct tape or tie wraps. Incidentally, be sure that your dealer removes the suspension spacers (used for shipping) upon arrival at the dealership. Mine were left in for a year and they damaged the seal on the shocks. The dealer did not do their normal inspection on a new car because mine was ED and arrived as if "used". I never noticed it until first oil change.
Thanks for the plate info as well as the suspension spacers tip. (Just relayed your post to my SA so he can make sure my car is properly prepped once they receive it.)
Old 06-07-2016, 01:04 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Docfink - you likely won't be allowed to carry a knife onto the plane, but pack it in your checked bag.
I travel with a medium size Swiss army knife packed in my checked bag.
It has scissors and knives (and even a couple of screwdrivers) all of which have proven invaluable throughout my extensive travels.

Good luck with your ED!!

Quick Reply: license plate bracket