Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

C4 European Delivery April 2016

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 01:22 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts
Default C4 European Delivery April 2016

I took Zuffenhausen delivery on Monday. GT silver over black extended leather. The delivery process went smoothly. Arrived at 8:15 and met the Porsche delivery guy soon thereafter. He went through many of the features of the car and all of the European delivery stuff. I asked him specifically about the break in period. He looked at me with a grin and said that the break in period only applies to North American cars "if you know what I mean". Delivery took around an hour with pictures etc. Factory tour at 10 am lasted about an 1.5 hours. Extremely cool. Skipped the fancy lunch; I'd rather be out driving for the extra hour.
Headed straight to the autobahn on our way to Lucerne. Break in period lasted about 25 minutes, then flying on the Autobahn.
Lucerne is a low key, relatively small, beautiful, classic Swiss town with a scenic old district. Good stop off distance on the way to the mountains. Parking is at a premium and I had to valet my 8 hour old car.
Headed to Grindelwald on Tuesday. Most of the famous passes are closed for the winter, but the scenery is fantastic even on the more populated roads. The Porsche guy strongly recommended against speeding in Switzerland. He said that they're ultra strict with enforcement. Truthfully, driving in Switzerland was not very gratifying. Speed limits are way low and adhering to them was painful. Grindelwald itself is pretty spectacular. Took the Jungfraujoch train to the "Top of Europe". Got lucky with the weather and had good visibility for most of the trip.
Left the Alps this morning, now in Strasbourg with a stop at Haut de Koenigsburg at the suggestion of someone here. (Thanks).
Not sure of the order that the pictures will come out. I think the first 2 are Alsace, next 2 Alps (including Eiger), then Lucerne.
European delivery really is a phenomenal experience. I feel very fortunate to be able to do it with my 21 year old son (on his spring break studying abroad this semester). Highly recommended.
Attached Images      
Old 04-13-2016, 01:59 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome post MB1! I'm doing ED in June. Like you, heading South. Can I ask about your itinerary?

Please continue to post a lot No detail is too small.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:39 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Beautiful
Yup, no speeding in CH, they will put you in jail in no time for as little as 15kmh over. And the fines are outrageous.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Wunderbar! So happy for you. And yes, keep posting details. Many of us are living vicariously thru posts like these.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:03 PM
Pattymac
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

MB1 thanks for the post! I'll be picking up my car in less than two weeks and will be heading south to Italy, taking the same basic route as you. Let me know if you have any tips for the drive. Looking forward to reading more about your trip.
Patrick
Old 04-14-2016, 04:10 AM
roup1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and thanks for the write up and photos! Awesome!!!
Old 04-14-2016, 01:34 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Continued on today from Strasbourg to Heidelberg. Driving in Germany is so much more fun than driving in Switzerland or France. Headed east from Strasbourg into Germany, to Kniebis, then took highway 500 north to Baden Baden. One of "Ultimate Drives Top 10 Roads". Definitely a beautiful road, but not so much more so than a dozen roads I've been on in the Rockies. Driving in the clouds and not too much traffic.
Heidelberg is quaint, with another beautiful castle. Viewing is almost entirely from the outside, with essentially no inside tour. Decent, but unspectacular. If I were to do it again, I would stay an extra day in the Alps, then head to Strasbourg and skip Heidelberg.
Attached Images     
Old 04-14-2016, 02:05 PM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pattymac
MB1 thanks for the post! I'll be picking up my car in less than two weeks and will be heading south to Italy, taking the same basic route as you. Let me know if you have any tips for the drive. Looking forward to reading more about your trip.
Patrick
Where in Italy? Did ED 1st. week June 2014 & went from Zuffenhausen down to Tuscany.

Dolomites are a must see (my avatar pic was taken in the Dolomites. Also did Stelvio Pass (you might be too early in the season) as well as Susten Pass & Lake Como 0n my back back to the factory.

Watch your speed in CH!
Old 04-14-2016, 02:08 PM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pattymac
Patrick
also did Grossglockner High Alpine Rd. on the way down.

Rural roads in Tuscany are wonderful...great pavement & twisties are cambered.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:46 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pick mine up next wednesday. We will head down past King Ludwig's castles first. Then down to Venice, Milan, Pisa, Rome, Amalfi Coast, then who knows...
Spending a couple days in venice, and a few days in Rome.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:28 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the front license plate drilled?
Old 04-14-2016, 04:27 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Yes. Illinois requires front plates, so I had mine drilled.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How about a trip update?
Old 04-15-2016, 03:54 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by juniordrums
I pick mine up next wednesday. We will head down past King Ludwig's castles first. Then down to Venice, Milan, Pisa, Rome, Amalfi Coast, then who knows...
Spending a couple days in venice, and a few days in Rome.
Don't miss Florence while in Pisa. It's the gem of the Tuscany region!
(To be honest, Pisa is basicly the leaning tower, not much more...)

When driving through Tuscany to Rome, be sure to stop in Siena. Probably the most well preserved medieval city centre in Europe. It's like the time stopped in Siena, not a single building inside the city wall is younger than 500 years! (Cars are forbidden inside the city walls, so you'll have to leave your new Porsche outside )

Then take the smaller roads south via Pienza, it's a very beatiful region!
Old 04-15-2016, 04:33 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
How about a trip update?
Did you see the one from yesterday? Heading back to Stuttgart today from Heidelberg.

Quick Reply: C4 European Delivery April 2016