Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

European Delivery Top 5 Must Do/See

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:32 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts
Default European Delivery Top 5 Must Do/See

I have been planning my Euro Delivery for the past 3 weeks. I've received input from Nur93, Worf928, Mate, and others - thank you guys so much!

But, now I would like to know your opinion of 5 must do or see things while on my European Delivery with the GT4. For background, my wife and I picking up the car at the end of August in Liepzing. Our general plan is to head south into the Dolomites, and then back up through Stuttgart and up to Nurburgring with plenty of stops in between. So, here is my planned top 5 so far. Please tell me yours...
  • 1. Nurburgring
  • 2. Grossglockner High Alpine Pass
  • 3. Castle Road Visits
  • 4. Porsche Museum Tour (Stuttgart plant closed)

What am I missing?

Last edited by matttheboatman; 07-09-2015 at 01:41 PM. Reason: deleted #5
Old 07-07-2015, 09:54 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

If you can do a lapping day at Spa, it's a must I would say.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:45 PM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Switzerland. A few years back I did Susten, Grimsel, Furka, St Gotthard, San Bernadino, Fluela, Umbrial and Stelvio in a day. It was a quite wonderful day.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Great thread - keep the suggestions coming!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:42 AM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what did the locals recommend?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:21 AM
Dimmu
Advanced

There is also the Mercedes museum here in Stuttgart, if that interests you at all. I was at Stelvio just last weekend and I'm not sure it would be anything, but annoying in the GT4 that is what? 4" off the ground? It's steep grade hairpin after hairpin. Umbral is a little better, but will probably be quite a few scrapes. On the way to Nur, you could stop up in Heidelberg for lunch or so, which is always gorgeous and has a castle right there to check out and then follow the river up to Koblenz where the Mosel and Rhein meet... another cool area and on to nur. If I'm around for when you hit Stuttgart, I could see about helping out a bit as I'll have my GT4 as well then
Old 07-08-2015, 06:55 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Stelivio pass and autobahn stretches ��
Old 07-08-2015, 07:11 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Interlaken in Switzerland is worth a trip if you have time. If you go stelvio, do a lap around lake como. Drop in for a nesspresso with George clooney. Catch an opera at arena de Verona if you time also (spectacular).
Old 07-08-2015, 09:43 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IMOA
Switzerland. A few years back I did Susten, Grimsel, Furka, St Gotthard, San Bernadino, Fluela, Umbrial and Stelvio in a day. It was a quite wonderful day.
Wow, now that is some driving!

I do have plans to make a round trip from Merano to Stelvio - just not sure if I will take the long way around through Bormio or back up through Ubrail. It will all depending on my wife is feeling after all those crazy switchbacks!

Dimmu - would love to meet up with you in Stuttgart. Will PM you.

Great advice all!!!
Old 07-08-2015, 09:51 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

I will be at the Nurburgring on Sunday the 30th for the 6hr WEC race. Anyone going?

Also, would love to meet a Rennlister with NBR experience to ride along as a passenger for pointers. I hope to have the circuit memorized by then and will limit my speed to 7/10ths.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 07-10-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Fwiw Stelvio was by far the least interesting road. I've had a bit of fun driving up from the south side early in the morning but the more 'famous' north section is frankly boring as it's fundamentally repetitive, slow, blind identical hairpins. Susten - Grimsel - Furka - St Gotthard - San Bernadino however were genuinely spiritually uplifting.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Dimmu
Advanced

To be fair, Stelvio is one to do at least once... Here is a picture from last weekiend when I was there... on a motorcycle, though...

Old 07-08-2015, 11:56 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

Amsterdam, gotta do Amsterdam
Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
I have been planning my Euro Delivery for the past 3 weeks. I've received input from Nur93, Worf928, Mate, and others - thank you guys so much!

But, now I would like to know your opinion of 5 must do or see things while on my European Delivery with the GT4. For background, my wife and I picking up the car at the end of August in Liepzing. Our general plan is to head south into the Dolomites, and then back up through Stuttgart and up to Nurburgring with plenty of stops in between. So, here is my planned top 5 so far. Please tell me yours...
  • 1. Nurburgring
  • 2. Grossglockner High Alpine Pass
  • 3. Castle Road Visits
  • 4. Porsche Museum Tour (Stuttgart plant closed)
  • 5. A Beer with Andreas Prueninger in Weissach

What am I missing?
Did ED last year 1st. week in June...no tourists (campers) to hold me up & all the passes had opened.

Was blown away by the beauty of the Dolomites...not to be missed (my avatar pic was taken in the Dolomites).

Also did Grossglockner H.A.Pass on my way to Dolomites & Susten (light hail at the peak) on my way to Innsbruck.

Did Merano to Stelvio & back on way south to Tuscany...I would recommend continuing on to Bormio instead of retracing your steps.

Ferrari Museum in Maranello is a must if you decide to head further south.

Lake Como region is breathtaking....too many places to see & too little time!!

Enjoy, you'll have a fabulous time. (don't forget to remove your European plate & take home with you when you drop off the GT4.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:37 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

If I was doing a euro delivery I'd be using my apt in Verbier to hub and spoke out on trip to TTLATION suggestions plus my own. -go see my uncle & family up north of London as personal points to plan trips. I've done this same concept before in 2006 over 55 days.

You can google Verbier even google it on some Top Gear shows. If you are British you know of Verbier. Americans not so much. It is Aspen on Steroids as I tell my friends on this side of the pond.

1)My place: http://holidays.rentalp.ch/EN/resort...ia-223224.aspx

2) World Class Travel Agent - (I call her mom) http://mcgeheetravel.com

-Give her what you want to do and she will tell you what you can get in.. days how long you should spend where etc. She can also almost always get better rates than I can find myself.

I'm looking forward to doing this with a Porsche. But, I may just do it with a BMW and put the website together.. I wanted to do it with a GT4, but the dealer (my old employer :/ ) wanted $5k over sticker. So-- while heads are lined up on the chopping block - I may be out into spring. Sad too bc my builds weren't low --PTS & then... fyi guys 15% profit margin on options ///line item to negotiate on.

Happy to help although now most info can be found here regarding PTS etc.

Quick Reply: European Delivery Top 5 Must Do/See