Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

ED Shopping List

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 12:49 AM
Dhon
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ED Shopping List

We will be headed to Deutschland in a few weeks. We will be traveling light heading there as the vehicle we are picking up is not really best for hauling lots of luggage. On the way back, we have a couple checkin baggage allowances each we are currently not using. Does anyone have any recommendation on parts/gear we can bring back with us to save on shipping and customs charges?

Example:
1. Maybe OEM clear corners be cheaper from Porsche AG assuming I can get the VAT refunded/no shipping/duties?
2. Cargraphic Valve Controller?
3. Sportshifter Shift **** (2 day stop in Amsterdam)?

Last edited by Dhon; 08-30-2024 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2024, 01:13 AM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 472 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhon
We will be headed to Deutschland in a few weeks. We will be traveling light heading there as the vehicle we are picking up is not really best for hauling lots of luggage. On the way back, we have a couple checkin baggage allowances each we are currently not using. Does anyone have any recommendation on parts/gear we can bring back with us to save on shipping and customs charges?

Example:
1. Maybe OEM clear corners be cheaper from Porsche AG assuming I can get the VAT refunded/no shipping/duties?
2. Cargraphic Valve Controller?
3. Sportshifter Shift **** (2 day stop in Amsterdam)?
  1. Check with your SA if your dealer doesn't comp you clear side markers (many dealers in Northamerica do).
  2. No idea about your other items.
I had dbcarbon ship the carbon fiber anti-buffeting rear-view mirror triangles to a address in Europe so I could install it for my drive. First I looked at a German address (the cost will include German VAT) but my itinerary changed so I had them shipped to a Swiss address (VAT is much lower). But the DHL handling fee for handling the custom/import processing evened it out. So it could have been cheaper to order the part and have it shipped to the US and take it back with you (that wasn't possible due to the tight production timelines).

You will have to pay VAT when buying the part in Europe. You can get some VAT back at the airport when you board your flight to the US, but the question is whether the hassle is worth the saving (and you may need to pay custom on entry if the value is too high or the custom officer thinks it is a commercial part).

Some people I know got Manthey or SSR stuff for their GT cars installed while there. I have no idea whether that saves you money, but it may be useful if you can use the parts while in Europe. Not sure these parts would fit into your luggage though.

Other than that: Be prepared to load up on Porsche souvenirs such as model cars, clothing (you get a rebate during your pickup) and other souvenirs. So, I would expect one of your check-in bags to be filled up with them.

You will get some SWAG as part of the Euro Delivery. I got some pictures, a tall coffee/hot drink mug, an umbrella and you can keep the emergency triangle/high vis vest/emergency medical kit that Porsche has to provide to make you compliant with European regulations. That will also take up luggage space.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike981S:
Dhon (08-31-2024), uter (08-31-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 07:09 PM
TheDrivenGarage
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

One thing to note, Porsche puts a big paragraph in your contract about not modifying the car, or it could trigger VAT. I dont know that its worth the hassle to purchase, and then bring it all back to the USA, as you will pay ~20% VAT, and then you have more stuff to manage. Now a days you can get stuff so easily shipped, I am not sure its worth being the porter.

One thing you may want to think about is to bring mud flaps with you if you are getting a 911. I did bring some for my GTS, and i really noticed a difference (didnt install them the first few days). You may also want to bring a few microfibers, and a spray detailer. There are lots of places to wash your car yourself, and it was fun to keep her clean for photos and such.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDrivenGarage:
Dhon (09-01-2024), Mike981S (09-05-2024)
Old 09-28-2024, 05:33 PM
Dhon
Track Day

Thanks for all the great suggestions/recommendations! We just arrived Amsterdam today for a quick couple of days stop to do some sight seeing. We’ll be taking the trian to Leipzig Monday. The excitment is getting unreal, if not for the fatigue from the traveling, sitting at busy lounges, and jet lag, I don’t think I’ll be getting much sleep.

Last edited by Dhon; 09-29-2024 at 08:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (10-02-2024)
Old 09-28-2024, 05:42 PM
Dhon
Track Day

Originally Posted by Mike981S
Other than that: Be prepared to load up on Porsche souvenirs such as model cars, clothing (you get a rebate during your pickup) and other souvenirs. So, I would expect one of your check-in bags to be filled up with them.

You will get some SWAG as part of the Euro Delivery. I got some pictures, a tall coffee/hot drink mug, an umbrella and you can keep the emergency triangle/high vis vest/emergency medical kit that Porsche has to provide to make you compliant with European regulations. That will also take up luggage space.
I’m prepared. The wifey and I came with handcarry luggage only so we got tons of checkin baggage allowance if the need arises. She’s planning on doing some shopping while we’re here.
Mike981S (10-02-2024)
Old 10-03-2024, 02:00 AM
Dhon
Track Day

Default Awesome Day!

ED was awesome! I highly recommend it. Ready to hit the road.
Mike981S (10-03-2024)
Old 10-03-2024, 08:03 PM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 472 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhon
ED was awesome! I highly recommend it. Ready to hit the road.
Have a great and safe trip!
Dhon (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: ED Shopping List