Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

ED Nov 27 (GT3) - heading to Lake Garda, need overnight stop suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts
Default ED Nov 27 (GT3) - heading to Lake Garda, need overnight stop suggestion

So I'm picking up the morning of Nov 27 and will do the tour and have lunch etc.
It's been suggested that I head to Italy for better weather. I will be rolling on winter tires.
My plan is to hit Lake Garda and stay here:
https://lagodigarda.lefayresorts.com...aRLua4L7e7QTqk

But where should I overnight en-route? I'm sure I'll be jet lagged leaving Porsche.
https://goo.gl/maps/ZMzE1cEkQDs
Should I be looking for a spot in Garmish-Partenkirchen or Innsbruck, somewhere else?

Best

Bruce
Old 11-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Das Tegernsee ( https://www.dastegernsee.de/ ), detour but not much, and you will like it if you book a place like the Lefay.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:37 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You will love the Lefay at Lake Garda. We stayed last year for 4 days and was blissful. One note of warning is do not allow your nav to take you to to the hotel on Via delle Limonaie which is right off the main drive along Garda. It's barely wide enough for microcar. Instead make sure you go up Via Angelo Feltrinelli (SP9). It's a longer route up to the hotel, but much wider. If you have any other questions about the Lefay let me know

We picked up our S7 (September) from Ingolstadtand drove to the Lefay and did a one night stopover in Telfs Austria at the Interalpen Hotel. The Interalpen was great, but best of all was the underground heated parking. Next day we traveled over Timmelsjoch Pass into Italy. Obviously with your Winter travel not sure that's possible, but I know Austria tries to keep the passes open year round.

Another option if you are traveling via Zurich is the Dolder Grand outside of Zurich. Another "new car safe" hotel. It's a bit on the pricey side, but a great hotel.

This is pic of the S7 traveling up Via delle Limonaie to the Lefay. I still have chills thinking about this

Old 11-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sven76
Das Tegernsee ( https://www.dastegernsee.de/ ), detour but not much, and you will like it if you book a place like the Lefay.
Looks lovely but is there anything closer to Stuttgart?

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
You will love the Lefay at Lake Garda. We stayed last year for 4 days and was blissful. One note of warning is do not allow your nav to take you to to the hotel on Via delle Limonaie which is right off the main drive along Garda. It's barely wide enough for microcar. Instead make sure you go up Via Angelo Feltrinelli (SP9). It's a longer route up to the hotel, but much wider. If you have any other questions about the Lefay let me know

We picked up our S7 (September) from Ingolstadtand drove to the Lefay and did a one night stopover in Telfs Austria at the Interalpen Hotel. The Interalpen was great, but best of all was the underground heated parking. Next day we traveled over Timmelsjoch Pass into Italy. Obviously with your Winter travel not sure that's possible, but I know Austria tries to keep the passes open year round.

Another option if you are traveling via Zurich is the Dolder Grand outside of Zurich. Another "new car safe" hotel. It's a bit on the pricey side, but a great hotel.

This is pic of the S7 traveling up Via delle Limonaie to the Lefay. I still have chills thinking about this

I'm booking three nights here. Now I'm super excited!
Old 11-07-2018, 02:08 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

I recently stayed at the Villino hotel in Bodolz which is close to the Bodensee and very close to Lindau. I drove there on a Tuesday afternoon after the ED stuff was done in Stuttgart and it was a reasonable couple hour drive to handle whilst a little jet lagged. The accommodations were very nice and the price very reasonable, but it was the people and the restaurant that would make me recommend it as a great place to stop over on your way to Italy. If you go, plan time to enjoy a dinner there.

https://www.villino.com/hotel/

At their recommendation, I took a 5 minute walk from their property to get a view of the lake from up high (instead of my plan of walking down to the lake itself which they said would diminish the view due to all the houses in Lindau). I was greeted by a sunset that lasted about 30 minutes and definitely helped in making me very happy with the place.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
I recently stayed at the Villino hotel in Bodolz which is close to the Bodensee and very close to Lindau. I drove there on a Tuesday afternoon after the ED stuff was done in Stuttgart and it was a reasonable couple hour drive to handle whilst a little jet lagged. The accommodations were very nice and the price very reasonable, but it was the people and the restaurant that would make me recommend it as a great place to stop over on your way to Italy. If you go, plan time to enjoy a dinner there.

https://www.villino.com/hotel/

At their recommendation, I took a 5 minute walk from their property to get a view of the lake from up high (instead of my plan of walking down to the lake itself which they said would diminish the view due to all the houses in Lindau). I was greeted by a sunset that lasted about 30 minutes and definitely helped in making me very happy with the place.

Thank you let me check this out!
Old 11-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Totor
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Any hotel from this site should not disappoint you :

https://www.relaischateaux.com/
Old 11-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sven76
Originally Posted by Monetthecat

Give me some ideas for day trips around Lake Garda? What did you guys get up to, any must see villages where parking the car is not an issue?
Maybe a trip down to supercar valley Modena and Sant'Agata Bolognese?
Old 11-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep in mind that we were in Garda in September last year so it was a busier time. As such the area around Gargnano (where they Lefay is) and the route from Riva (North part of lake) to Sirmione (South) was crowded. The drive from Riva to Lefay was beautiful, but a slow haul as traffic was heavy.

Google maps shows that route SP9 heads West from the Lefay up to a lake, but it wasn't much to see and narrows quickly. It wasn't worth the trip.

We did take the car ferry over Torri de Benaco and drove some of the routes around Monte Baldo. A lot less crowded on the East side of Garda.

Also if a golfer the Bogliaco course is close to the Lefay and they can take care of getting you on the course along with rental clubs.

I hadn't thought of Modena, but fairly certain my wife would have frowned on that. Vernoa is not that far away as a city to visit. We are going to Verona next year on the way to Como.

Quick Reply: ED Nov 27 (GT3) - heading to Lake Garda, need overnight stop suggestion