Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

2 week countdown: PEC LA

Old 10-23-2018, 08:53 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2 week countdown: PEC LA

2 weeks from today I’ll be picking up my GT3 from PEC LA and can not wait. As if the excitement itself wasn’t bad enough, my welcome kit came yesterday.

Im in SF and planning on doing a mini road trip back up to break her in a bit and take advantage of the opportunity. Only 2 days, 1 night, but still enough to get me plenty excited.

I’ll be sure to post plenty of pics and updates.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:46 AM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Congrats! I'm looking forward to the pics. What's in the portfolio?
Old 10-25-2018, 07:41 AM
renault4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
2 weeks from today I’ll be picking up my GT3 from PEC LA and can not wait. As if the excitement itself wasn’t bad enough, my welcome kit came yesterday.

Im in SF and planning on doing a mini road trip back up to break her in a bit and take advantage of the opportunity. Only 2 days, 1 night, but still enough to get me plenty excited.

I’ll be sure to post plenty of pics and updates.
Congrats!

This topic is replete with wondrous and enviable itineraries that take in assorted European alpine passes and no-speed-limit autobahns following an ED; so would you be willing to share your post PEC-LA delivery itinerary?

I am planning an ED; someone suggested I might do *both* an ED and an ATL or LA delivery, just to maximize the experience, but it’s not clear that’s allowable
Old 10-25-2018, 12:12 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by renault4
I am planning an ED; someone suggested I might do *both* an ED and an ATL or LA delivery, just to maximize the experience, but it’s not clear that’s allowable
"Not allowable" as in wife-limited? I'm doing ED and PEC-LA.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:48 PM
renault4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5driver
"Not allowable" as in wife-limited? I'm doing ED and PEC-LA.
no, definitely not "wife-limited:" initial forays in the online configurator did not allow for both an ED and a US-PEC delivery, but I'm sure i could work that out with the dealer or PCNA...

Old 10-28-2018, 07:12 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Portfolio contained a welcome letter, plastic pen and some PEC stickers. Nothing too exciting but the portfolio itself is nice!

My current itinerary is as follows:

- PEC to Malibu up highway 1
- Keep going on highway 1, stop in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay
- Stay in Morro Bay
- Back on the road, highway 1 up to 46 to cross over and hit Paso Robles
- Highway 101, hitting 198 to cross over to 25
- 25 up to Hollister. Never been but apparently it's a decent driving road.
- Grab 101 again at Hollister and head back up to SF.

Overall it should be about 10 hours of actual driving, plus probably another 4-5 hours at my stops...which is exactly what I was looking for. Not trying to turn this into a multiple night excursion but it should be a solid 2 days of driving.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:50 PM
F18drvr
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by renault4
no, definitely not "wife-limited:" initial forays in the online configurator did not allow for both an ED and a US-PEC delivery, but I'm sure i could work that out with the dealer or PCNA...
Use it as leverage with the Dealer...if the deal is not done yet..
Old 10-30-2018, 05:37 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
Portfolio contained a welcome letter, plastic pen and some PEC stickers. Nothing too exciting but the portfolio itself is nice!

My current itinerary is as follows:

- PEC to Malibu up highway 1
- Keep going on highway 1, stop in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay
- Stay in Morro Bay
- Back on the road, highway 1 up to 46 to cross over and hit Paso Robles
- Highway 101, hitting 198 to cross over to 25
- 25 up to Hollister. Never been but apparently it's a decent driving road.
- Grab 101 again at Hollister and head back up to SF.

Overall it should be about 10 hours of actual driving, plus probably another 4-5 hours at my stops...which is exactly what I was looking for. Not trying to turn this into a multiple night excursion but it should be a solid 2 days of driving.
Nice trip. A few suggestions...

1. PEC to Malibu can be a crawl depending on the time of day. Maybe take a look at the 33 from Ojai to the 166 and then cut across West. Jalopnik called HWY33 the best driving road in America.
2. The 101 between San Luis Obispo and King City is heavily enforced by the CHP. They run radar and planes, so be aware.
3. There's really not too much in Morro Bay, including accommodations. I'd suggest Cambria and maybe the Hearst Castle, which is a few miles past the 46. Nice town with a better B&B called the Ollalieberry Inn. GF liked it a lot and it's used by some Porsche clubs.

Have fun and post some pics!
Old 11-01-2018, 01:41 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

x2 on 33 from Ojai, it's a must going from LA to SF if you have the opportunity. Just an incredible road, one of the best I've had the pleasure of experiencing. Just be careful because it will get cold in that area this time of year (keep an eye on tire temp/pressures) if you are doing any spirited driving, and be aware there is 0 cell signal through that route FWIW
Old 11-01-2018, 02:38 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Okay I think you've convinced me to change course and hit Ojai instead. I imagine it's the northern part of 33 after Ojai that's the better driving portion? Since I'm leaving LA at night I want to have ample daylight to drive 33 so I'll probably stay in Ojai and then wake up early and hit the northern leg of 33.

Weather is looking good...high 60s. Is there a high-point of 33 I should be checking a forecast for?
Old 11-01-2018, 04:14 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Yep, 33 right after the town itself is driving nirvana

My advice would be to stay in LA overnight rather than Ojai, and enjoy the early AM cruise up the PCH to connect to Ojai and take 33 thereafter, accommodations will be much nicer/easier to find in LA proper IMO

Not sure how to measure the temps in the forest itself north of Ojai, but I do know temps drop quite dramatically during winter-ish season, at least in my experience. I think last time I took 33 was February earlier this year and temps were in high 30s low 40s at certain parts if I remember correctly. If you don't look down on the temp gauge you'll be surprised, we were thinking it would be 60s and it looks like its in the 60s. On my P-Zero tires they were not very appreciative of that on my .2 C4, but I hate those tires. I would assume the Cup 2s or Dunlop RaceMaxx you'll get would be the same, where I would be mindful of that but it should be dry conditions. If you see the rare ice/wet spot on the road just slow down and drive accordingly or you might take a spin It's a great drive if you like a bit of spirited driving, but also a wonderful drive to just slow down, cruise, and enjoy the gorgeous scenery as hard as that will be in a GT3
Old 11-01-2018, 04:28 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

I have a feeling this is going to make it verrrrrry difficult to stay within break-in protocol.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:00 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Exactly what Sam said. PCH is nice in the am, before the cars and crowds make it a parking lot. Get an early start, grab a coffee, and enjoy the drive!
Old 11-07-2018, 12:04 AM
gdarrah99
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well.... ? Was it worth the extra wait?
Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Totally worth the extra wait! PEC puts on a helluva show and experience. Made the day much more memorable than just picking up at a dealer.

33 was pure bliss. I would drive that route every chance I get if I lived down in SoCal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 week countdown: PEC LA