Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Early Dec Delivery

Old 10-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts
Default Early Dec Delivery

my delivery got pushed to early Dec. i originally scheduled delivery at Leipzig to take advantage of driving one of their 3rs on track. they tell me their track is open on my Dec dates. however, given the experience on this forum, do i have any chance of ACTUALLY getting on their facility track in early Dec. or should i try to switch my location to Zuffenhausen to see the museum and factory? is any driving in early Dec in a 3rs a pipe dream?
Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

As an alternative plan, would i be crazy to try to drive it from Leipzig to London in early Dec? i know i'd most likely be fine in the UK, but i have no idea what the lion-share of the trip might be like through Germany/Belgium.

if it's reasonable, any suggested routes i should take on the way?

i'm taking delivery of a US car, but i'm living in London. so, one of my objectives is to get it over to London so i have access to the car during the first full 90 days; i WISH i could take a 90 day break and go play around somewhere in southern europe with the new 3rs, but that isn't in the cards. i have a week tops.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:26 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early December is most of the times just wet and cold. There is some risk of snow and ice, but chances are you get away without any. However, you should get your car on winter tires.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:51 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

wow that is quite risky; if that was all that was offered to me by Porsche for ED on my RS, I would pass. Even last month on ED of my new RS there was snow on my planned route, had to change plans a bit to avoid. Sadly next day it was in 70s., but that single day changed things a bit. Good luck, perhaps they can hold it for an early spring delivery?
Old 10-20-2018, 01:37 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't think snow tires are an option on the RS. If so they would have to change the wheels for sure. Likely the turbo wheels. I wouldn't want that in the least. If they give you the car with standard setup then I would not do it, the tires will become rocks at lower temps and even though you may have no issues with snow or rain the traction will still be really poor and you will have to reduce speeds to a level just not enjoyable with this car.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:46 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I think new plan is hope to get some seat time at Leipzig in one of their 3rs, send mine in a trailer back to London, spend another day to go see museum at Zuffenhausen; have 90days with my new RS in London before I have to send it back to US. Weather won't be great in London in winter but I'll get some time behind the wheel and hopefully sneak in a track day or two before it ships of to US.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:40 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Snows would be on Turbo wheels. Why not I'd say? Yours will be reinstalled prior to delivery. Play it by ear and drop early if the weather is bad.

I've been wrestling with the same thing. You will at least get a few good days in over the wintertime in the UK. I used to do tests at Pembrey out in Wales in February. Cold as **** on slicks in an open wheeler, still good fun.

EDIT: I also did Leipzig w the last RS and really liked it. You do have quite a drive to get to any interesting roads from there so maybe trailer is a good idea.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

My build date is Dec 7.
I declines winter tires and will try to push picking up the car into Feb.
Im not driving the car in snow on any tire, so not much left to do but go South.

I can’t get a pickup date out of them (Or any reply) but as soon as I do I will look for track days in Southern, open for business tracks in Spain and it Italy.
No choice since Porsche reduced ED time to 3 months.

Other German brands still happy to offer 6 months.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Early Dec Delivery