Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Porsche ED Insurance Policy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 02:50 AM
dongerkim
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche ED Insurance Policy?

Hello,

My first post here. I was wondering if anyone knew he current Insurance carrier for Porsche? Also, is there any clear information as to if Tourist drives are covered on the Nordschliefe on public days? I couldn’t find any recent information on this topic. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:34 PM
motomurr
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Allianz was the insurer for our ED this past April.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:11 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allianz typically covers Nordschleife, but that’s their retail product. Not sure what the policy with Porsche says...
Old 08-13-2018, 07:53 PM
motomurr
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Nor am I. I went to the Ring in early April of this year, supposedly on a public day (per the website), but instead it was closed to private cars. The "taxi" services were available in abundance. Coincidence? However, had I done a lap or two I would have purchased extra insurance on the spot.

When the ED actually took place at the Delivery Centre I had to purchase insurance over and above the two weeks provided. The extra two weeks that I needed cost a whopping 800 euros, but there was no mention of any track coverage. However, we had liability for up to 15 million euros. The ED rep commented, "You need that level of liability because in case you hit a bridge and damage it, you will be liable for any damage to the bridge."
Old 08-14-2018, 02:40 AM
dongerkim
2nd Gear

Thanks everyone for your response. I think the fine print comes in a form of an “exclusion”. As far as I know, Allianz is one of very few insurance carriers that may cover public drives during touristenfahrten. I would imagine no normal auto insurance would cover a private track day.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:45 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many still do over here, depends on the Terms of Business / General Business Conditions. Older ones and newer premium quality (e.g. proper priced, not web only) insurances still cover everything which is not a race. And trackdays are always set up as driving skills training with the aim to improve you skills, not timed racing... I have it even I writing from my insurance ... So again, you need to check the fine print.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:25 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

If ED plans include the Nordschleife for the first time, here are my suggestions:
- rent a track-prepped car and an instructor (we did, from RSRNurburg)
- do your learning/fun/practice laps in someone else’s definitely-insured car
- then do one or more “yes, I did it” laps in your new Porsche
- do this last on a non-tourist day after-hours session(*)

Nobody wants to be the guy that gets his new Porsche shiny-side down on his first Nordschleife lap.

(*) On days where the track is closed to the public, there is usually an after-hours session from 17:00 to 19:00 (IIRC). Be at the track by 4 or so, because the track sometimes (often?) opens prior to 17:00. The after-hours sessions are more-sparsely attended than the full-day tourist sessions. So, if you get there early and the track opens early you can get a handful of laps in with a relatively empty track.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:55 PM
ddoongs
5th Gear

I know this is an old thread but I recently looked into this for my ED, and I was told by the US ED team that track time is covered as long as it is not a timed event. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Porsche ED Insurance Policy?