Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Daunting task to plan this. Taking delivery in Zuffenhausen Sept, 2018

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:05 PM
renault4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, and I hasten to stipulate that I am neither an expert nor have I any practical experience in this matter, I have however been spending a lot of time researching the ED/PPF combination in preparation for the possibility of my own ED. What I see out there so far is that there is considerable reason to want to execute a proper paint correction before applying partial or full PPF even on a new car off the factory floor, otherwise one risks spending money on protecting an inherently imperfect paint job. This is by no means to say that Porsche do a bad job of painting, they dont, but no manufacturer will spend the time, cost, labor and materials to ensure absolute perfection--it doesnt make sense--they'll take it as far as needed to satisfy 80-90% of their customers. Thus, a lot of the examples out there of what it truly takes to do a full PPF properly show many many hours spent on chemical and mechanical decontamination followed by layers of paint correction before one ever gets to the actual PPF application step--figure on 3-5 days for a brand new car. Right now, I am seriously contemplating the prospect of driving or even trucking the car to an installer and leaving it there for that length of time.

My point being, having invested a big chunk of money in your Porsche, it makes a lot of sense to protect the paintwork, but you had better be prepared to allocate the time and resources to make sure it's done right; if you are worried about minimizing the time away from your Porsche once it's delivered to you, I offer the opinion that you might be better off waiting till you get it back to the US and bring it to an installer then.

All that being said, its really your call!, and I hope I speak for many here in wishing you a spectacular ED experience!!
Old 08-19-2018, 04:34 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by renault4
FWIW, and I hasten to stipulate that I am neither an expert nor have I any practical experience in this matter, I have however been spending a lot of time researching the ED/PPF combination in preparation for the possibility of my own ED. What I see out there so far is that there is considerable reason to want to execute a proper paint correction before applying partial or full PPF even on a new car off the factory floor, otherwise one risks spending money on protecting an inherently imperfect paint job. This is by no means to say that Porsche do a bad job of painting, they dont, but no manufacturer will spend the time, cost, labor and materials to ensure absolute perfection--it doesnt make sense--they'll take it as far as needed to satisfy 80-90% of their customers. Thus, a lot of the examples out there of what it truly takes to do a full PPF properly show many many hours spent on chemical and mechanical decontamination followed by layers of paint correction before one ever gets to the actual PPF application step--figure on 3-5 days for a brand new car. Right now, I am seriously contemplating the prospect of driving or even trucking the car to an installer and leaving it there for that length of time.

My point being, having invested a big chunk of money in your Porsche, it makes a lot of sense to protect the paintwork, but you had better be prepared to allocate the time and resources to make sure it's done right; if you are worried about minimizing the time away from your Porsche once it's delivered to you, I offer the opinion that you might be better off waiting till you get it back to the US and bring it to an installer then.

All that being said, its really your call!, and I hope I speak for many here in wishing you a spectacular ED experience!!
Thank you for your comment. Finally I have my trip planned except for this one PPF issue. Hopefully I'll get it squared away soon.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I slapped a cheap Xpel job on the car near the Ring.
Just the high impact areas. Did my 6000 miles and 20 track days, had it all ripped off, installed new rotors and pads. So it wouldn’t look too beat up and stock for importing to IS.

When the car came home did the paint correction and full wrap of the car.

Next year the car is 4 years old, it will be retired from track duty, ill refrub it and hopefully drive it till the end of days on the street.

New car is ready 11/18/18 but so disappointed I can only leave the car now for 3 months instead of the 6 months.
I’ve requested January pickup but I hope the car will be delayed or later allocation. Might even swap allocations with soneone
Old 08-21-2018, 01:35 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Congrats! I'm picking up my car on Sept 21, so we will have similar travel plans. I go to this neck of the woods alot, 3rd time alone this year for my RS delivery. I have a few recommendations.

Baden Baden is a great place to visit. Beautiful town, spas are worth a visit. Plus its the beginning of Black Forest Highway which is a nice drive.

Munich: Oktoberfest is nice to see, however I never go anymore. As mentioned above, instead go to Cannstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart; same beerfest atmosphere, similar large tents with fun, however its much more enjoyable and doesn't suffer from the insane drunken masses as in Munich. My wife and friends always go to the Stuttgart festival now and have a blast. However, if you MUST see Oktoberfest in Munich, then I would recommend staying at a hotel by the airport and taking the Ubahn directly into Munich to see the sites. Its very convenient, less hassles with parking, and the hotels are cheaper. I always stay at the Hilton at Munich Airport when doing Oktoberfest. As for soccer, its definitely worth it. One option that's fun but more reasonably priced is to go to a TSV1860 Munich match. Can also hit a Stuttgart VfB game; stadium is next to Mercedes Benz museum and the large beerfest...I went to both a soccer game there and the Spring Stuttgart Beerfest this spring, very enjoyable.

PM me if interested in other ideas, I could take all day! I do all my vacationing in this area every year, its an amazing place. Southern Germany, Tyrol in Austria and Sud Tyrol in northern Italy are just stunning beautiful places to vacation, but more importantly drive in the amazing alpine passes!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:45 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by disden
Congrats! I'm picking up my car on Sept 21, so we will have similar travel plans. I go to this neck of the woods alot, 3rd time alone this year for my RS delivery. I have a few recommendations.

Baden Baden is a great place to visit. Beautiful town, spas are worth a visit. Plus its the beginning of Black Forest Highway which is a nice drive.

Munich: Oktoberfest is nice to see, however I never go anymore. As mentioned above, instead go to Cannstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart; same beerfest atmosphere, similar large tents with fun, however its much more enjoyable and doesn't suffer from the insane drunken masses as in Munich. My wife and friends always go to the Stuttgart festival now and have a blast. However, if you MUST see Oktoberfest in Munich, then I would recommend staying at a hotel by the airport and taking the Ubahn directly into Munich to see the sites. Its very convenient, less hassles with parking, and the hotels are cheaper. I always stay at the Hilton at Munich Airport when doing Oktoberfest. As for soccer, its definitely worth it. One option that's fun but more reasonably priced is to go to a TSV1860 Munich match. Can also hit a Stuttgart VfB game; stadium is next to Mercedes Benz museum and the large beerfest...I went to both a soccer game there and the Spring Stuttgart Beerfest this spring, very enjoyable.

PM me if interested in other ideas, I could take all day! I do all my vacationing in this area every year, its an amazing place. Southern Germany, Tyrol in Austria and Sud Tyrol in northern Italy are just stunning beautiful places to vacation, but more importantly drive in the amazing alpine passes!
I have two days planned to stay in Baden Baden. One day I'll tour the black forest in a loop and come right back for the second night. We're also staying in Lindau, Tirol, Salzburg, and then Munich for just one night. It was suggested to me to attend the Oktoberfest in Stuttgart instead but we'll be headed back home before it starts unfortunately. Altogether though this trip looks great to me.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Any idea when you might be at the Ring?
Old 08-21-2018, 02:10 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Any idea when you might be at the Ring?
22 or 23 if everything goes according to plan.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Randy M
22 or 23 if everything goes according to plan.
Nice, I'm there too. As I said before: Let me know if you need help, laps or whatever

On Sunday there's going to be a lot of nice cars there because on Monday the Scuderia Hanseat course starts.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:18 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Nice, I'm there too. As I said before: Let me know if you need help, laps or whatever

On Sunday there's going to be a lot of nice cars there because on Monday the Scuderia Hanseat course starts.
What is the Scuderia Hanseat? Sounds like a German/Italian entree lol.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:32 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Randy M
What is the Scuderia Hanseat? Sounds like a German/Italian entree lol.
Agree - weird name

They been doing driver education on Nordschleife since 1958. It is a 3 day course that ends with an examination where you get judged by professional race drivers (most of them are).
1 to 10 points at each of the 22 or so points where the judges are positioned.

1 is terrible, 6 is OK, 10 is excellent.

One of few times when you actually can walk on the track and even drive it backwards.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:46 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Agree - weird name

They been doing driver education on Nordschleife since 1958. It is a 3 day course that ends with an examination where you get judged by professional race drivers (most of them are).
1 to 10 points at each of the 22 or so points where the judges are positioned.

1 is terrible, 6 is OK, 10 is excellent.

One of few times when you actually can walk on the track and even drive it backwards.
If I wasn't with my wife on this trip I'd probably do some rescheduling. Sounds like a great program.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:25 PM
Christian in Atl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking delivery of my GT3 the morning of September 20th and heading straight there for some tourist laps that evening. Would love to meet any fellow rennlister if anyone is around.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:54 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Christian in Atl
I'm taking delivery of my GT3 the morning of September 20th and heading straight there for some tourist laps that evening. Would love to meet any fellow rennlister if anyone is around.
I might be there on the 20th - travel plans not finalized though... I'll let you know.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:38 PM
Randy M
Drifting

I'm so flippin' pumped for this trip
Old 08-22-2018, 02:40 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

I picked my first 911 in Zuffenhausen in May 1993. I did the Scuderia Hanseat school the same week. Only spun once and hit nothing but bugs. Arrived at the 'Ring with just over 500 miles on the car and left four days later with over 900.

https://www.scuderia-hanseat.de/home/?L=3

Quick Reply: Daunting task to plan this. Taking delivery in Zuffenhausen Sept, 2018