Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Porsche Drive Stuttgart Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 10:45 AM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche Drive Stuttgart Advice

This seems like the appropriate place to post this. I am planning a trip later this year to Europe, including 2 or 3 days in Stuttgart to visit the museum and take advantage of the Drive rental experience.

Any recommendations from people you have been for a visit or ED on a place to stay? The "high end" hotels in Stuttgart don't seem particularly luxurious, so I would prefer more of a quaint, charming experience, even if that means staying out of the main city area. I am not even opposed to getting in the car, driving to another place within say 4 hours, staying the night, then driving back again the next day. Otherwise I will just stay in one of the newer name brand hotels in the city and use the savings for something else on my trip.

Any recommended driving routes/roads near Stuttgart that are a must to experience?

Has anyone done the Porsche Drive program or ED who could advise how much driving there is to be done near Stuttgart? If I have the car for one full day am I going to exhaust all the good drives that can be done in the immediate area, given that I have to bring the car back to where I started from, or if I keep it for two or even two and a half days am I going to have plenty to see?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:51 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 hours from Stuttgart will get you to half Germany. I would rather stay in Stuttgart, some pretty good ideas for hotels can be found here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...-in-Stuttgart/

For spirited driving, go to the Black Forrest.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm traveling to Stuttgart in August and also doing the Porsche Drive for 3 days. The timing of this trip didn't work for a Euro delivery so doing the next best thing. Plan is to spend a couple days in Stuttgart then rent a 911 GTS for a drive to Lindau (via Hochstrasse) from Baden-Baden.

Once in Lindau will spend a day traveling through Western Austria and hitting all the Alpine passes in that area. Silvretta, Flexen Pass, Hochtannberg Pass, Hahntennjoch to name a few.

Then blast back to Stuttgart
Old 05-28-2018, 08:49 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I was looking at some of the hotels in that list Sven.

I will definitely map out some of those suggested routes Monet.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:37 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

btw... Forgot to mention that I'm staying at the Althoff am Schlossgarten. Its a business hotel in central Stuttgart.

https://www.hotelschlossgarten.com

If you are going before mid-August let us know how the Porsche Drive is
Old 05-29-2018, 05:06 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

I will be going after you are. I definitely plan to report back though, surprised how little info there is on the program on here, seems like a real great opportunity.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:06 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Also forgot to mention with your PCA membership you get 10% discount
Old 06-30-2018, 05:25 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HiAperture
This seems like the appropriate place to post this. I am planning a trip later this year to Europe, including 2 or 3 days in Stuttgart to visit the museum and take advantage of the Drive rental experience.

Any recommendations from people you have been for a visit or ED on a place to stay? The "high end" hotels in Stuttgart don't seem particularly luxurious, so I would prefer more of a quaint, charming experience, even if that means staying out of the main city area. I am not even opposed to getting in the car, driving to another place within say 4 hours, staying the night, then driving back again the next day. Otherwise I will just stay in one of the newer name brand hotels in the city and use the savings for something else on my trip.

Any recommended driving routes/roads near Stuttgart that are a must to experience?

Has anyone done the Porsche Drive program or ED who could advise how much driving there is to be done near Stuttgart? If I have the car for one full day am I going to exhaust all the good drives that can be done in the immediate area, given that I have to bring the car back to where I started from, or if I keep it for two or even two and a half days am I going to have plenty to see?

Thanks in advance.
When I did the ED delivery last summer (with my teenage daughter), we stayed in a nice, quaint hotel, just outside of the city centre, its about 15 min drive, up toward the mountain. Its called the Wald-Hotel and is in a very nice area, beautiful grounds, excellent restaurant and near parks and soccer fields.

https://www.waldhotel-stuttgart.de/

Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 AM
HiAperture
Instructor

I still haven't taken this trip yet, if anyone has any more thoughts and advice. Here are the two drives I had mapped out, if anyone has any experience on these routes.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

I pick up my Porsche Drive 911 tomorrow from Stuttgart. First route is over to Baden-Baden and down Route 500 to Freudenstadt. Then to Lindau.

Then will spend the next day hitting a number of the Alpine passes in Western Austria.

I have the car for 3 days and let you know how it goes
Old 08-14-2018, 01:35 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
I pick up my Porsche Drive 911 tomorrow from Stuttgart. First route is over to Baden-Baden and down Route 500 to Freudenstadt. Then to Lindau.

Then will spend the next day hitting a number of the Alpine passes in Western Austria.

I have the car for 3 days and let you know how it goes
Awesome, I would appreciate that. Enjoy it!
Old 08-15-2018, 12:57 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Porsche Drive program is amazing.

I have finished my trip last week for 4 days and 1900 Kms.

If I plan the routes again I would focus mainly on Alpine passes.
I drove Furka Pass, Stelvio Pass, Grimsel Pass, Susten Pass, Nufenen Pass and spend two days driving in Back Forest.

Passes are amazing but some of them have road works leading to gravel road.

Black forest is amazing but one day is enough.
Autobahn near Stuttgart is full of road works also many roadworks in Black Forest.

For a reason I cannot explain as this was my first time driving a 911 GTS the car is extremely comfortable. I drove in a daily basis around 7-9 hours and I was very comfortable.

My guide was the Porsche Drive book 14 passes in 4 days.
I strongly recommend to follow the route of the book. All the passes mentioned in the book are wide and easy to drive with unique landscape.

Enjoy your trip and drive safely.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:38 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Just arrived in Lindau. The check out process at Porsche Drive Stuttgart was quick and painless. Took at most 15 min from the time I arrived. I received a 4S Cab. Living in Chicago a cab is a different treat.

The drive from Stuttgart to Baden-Baden was longer than expected. Road works along the way.

Route 500 was lovely. It's not the Alpine passes you might think of, but winding road through mostly forest. Glad I did it, but it's a one and done. I wouldn't go out of my way to drive it, but if you do it without much of a detour it's good

Tomorrow hitting a number of the passes in Western Austria. My source here also was Stefan Bogner's Drive series of books
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2018, 10:34 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Thanks both of you for the info. I will look at the suggested book. I too reserved a cab, never really interested in owning a rag top, but I thought it fitting to try in the circumstances.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:03 AM
renault4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only became aware of this through RL here; for someone planning a purchase, this seems like a great way to go beyond test drives and PEC sessions to get to a level of understanding what it’s like to live with a Porsche on a daily basis.

thing is, it seems the range of available models is somewhat limited, especially if you are considering something like a Turbo S; is this the case?

are there alternatives?

Quick Reply: Porsche Drive Stuttgart Advice