Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

991.2 Coupe GTS 6 Days 3.000 Kms

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 02:17 AM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which really is just an ordinary hotel using AirBnB as distribution channel Looks quite nice.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:29 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Plan has been updated due to business requirements.
Trip will take place early August.

Day 1. Pickup a rented 991.2 GTS from Stuttgart at 9:00. Drive immediately south west towards Austria. My target is to drive Romantic road and reach a hotel around 19:00 In Austrian Alps for rest. I have to be as close as possible to Stelvio pass to be ready for day 2. Any recommendations where to stay the first night?

Day 2. Start driving 6:00 early morning and reach Stelvio pass as early as possible. Pass from Stelvio and drive the Alpine road towards Saint Moritz. Reach Saint Moritz as early as possible, park the 911 in the hotel parking and get the alpine train for a tour of 2-3 hours. Any recommendations where to stay the second night?

Day 3. Start driving 7:00 towards Lucerne and pass black forest with final point for checking Baden Baden. Any hotel in Baden Baden?

Day 4. Start driving 7:00 and return the GTS to Stuttgart at 9:00. Finalize the logistics of the car rental and visit Porsche museum from 10:00-12:00. Does anyone know if factory tour is available first week of August? I know that factory is closed therefore I believe also factory tour might not be available.
Complete Porsche tour on Day 4 afternoon.
Rent a BMW from Hertz or any other rental company and start the trip towards Berlin.
Checking in Rothenbourg for night rest.

Day 5. Drive to Nuremberg towards Dresden.
Trip now has relaxed pace and rest.

Day 6. Dresden to Berlin for 2 days.

Any advice is more than welcome.

I have skipped Nurburgring as I plan to visit back in few months after I drive my 911 for a short period and become familiar with my first Porsche.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:08 PM
Sven76
Pro

You plan to stay in Dresden? Tons of ideas depending on you interests and also food preferences.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:08 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sven76
You plan to stay in Dresden? Tons of ideas depending on you interests and also food preferences.
Yes we plan to stay in Dresden for 1 night before reach Berlin.

The first four days belongs to driving experience and the remaining 3 to tourism actions tailored to my wife's interests.

Any advice is more than welcome.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Sven76
Pro

Food: mahl2 in Nordstadt, great urban restaurant, very relaxed. [m]eatery, best steakhouse outside the US (and believe me, I’ve tested dozens ) and would be top even compared to most New York steakhouses. Restaurant William, in the opera building, great fine dining.

Get tickets for the green vault, both the new and the old one, buy them in advance, almost zero chance to get them on the day. Build by absolutist ruler to impress, and they still work.

Take either the suspension cable railway or rack railway across the blue wonder bridge, they are just a fun ride.

Time permitting, visit Moritzburg castle and take a walk through the park.

Still short of ideas what to do, shoot me a PM
Old 07-24-2018, 01:37 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Sven76 thanks for your suggestion. I will follow your proposal and share the outcome.

Now trying to extend for one day my trip to Alps in order to visit Como lake....
Need to find a good hotel in Como.... Heard about Belaggio.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Factory tours at Zuffenhausen are closed from July 16th - Sept 14th. I know because I just asked this week as I'm headed over in mid-August.

For hotels my wife has good taste albeit on the pricey side:

Lake Como: il Sereno
St. Moritz: Badrutt's Palace, but this time of year they might be closed. We've also stayed at Kempinski Grand which was also really nice, but would say its only 4 star
Western Austria: Interalpen in Telfs is one option, but might be to far away. We've also stayed at Bayerischer Hof in Lindau (Germany). Lindau is only a couple kms from Austria and right on Lake Constance. Lindau is a resort island with great dining so we like going their.

Hope that helps
Old 07-25-2018, 02:15 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. Every reply helps me plan bettery trip.

Hopefully other members who have made similar trips share their experience.

My concern is that find hotels for the first three nights with secured parking slot in order to park the 911.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:25 AM
Monetthecat
Instructor

When planning trips through EU in the past I've emailed the hotels to ask about the parking arrangements. Most are very good about explaining the parking and the security (not only from people, but weather). The one guideline is that I've never stayed in a 5 star hotel that didn't have great parking. That's part of what you are paying for.

Of particular interest for your car is the Interalpen (Telfs, Austria). Its like a hotel for your car. You enter the hotel with your car below ground and unload everything then the car is whisked away and kept below ground in a heated garage. A lot of the traveling car vacation groups like Porsche, Audi, Fastlane all use the Interalpen.

Also 20 Euros goes a long way with the valet. While I would never think about using valet here in the States, but have no concerns about using in EU when staying at a nice hotel. Few years ago while going delivery of an A7 we stayed in Zell am See at the Grand Hotel. Gave the valet 20 Euros and checked in. Couple hours later went down to the garage to check on the car and found this... Its the owner's spot and in the evening they closed the door. I was very happy

Old 08-03-2018, 03:20 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

So far Stuttgart and Bormio hotels booked.

Need some advice for a reasonable price hotel in Lake Como (Italy) and in Baden Baden.

Any advice is more than welcome. My first priority for these hotels is the secured parking for the car as I will use hotel facilities in a minimum ( I prefer to drive the car in the Alps instead of using a hotel pool)

Thank you.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:46 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Early morning dreaming.....

What a car!!!!!

Stelvio Pass rising ⛅
Old 08-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

What a photo! Even my wife asked where is that and have we been there. I said no and she said we need to do that

Quick Reply: 991.2 Coupe GTS 6 Days 3.000 Kms