Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Sample Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 03:51 PM
mongolikecandy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sample Itinerary

Hi, My wife and I are planning my first Euro delivery for April 27 at Zuffenhausen, and am honestly feeling a little overwhelmed at the task of planning. i had hoped to find some sample itineraries, but can't seem to come across any. We arrive on April 26, pick up the beauty on the 27th and factory tour. I know we are leaving May 6th, and would like to explore south of Stuttgart (switzerland/austria/czech republic), but are open to suggestions.

- does anyone know of sample itineraries that people have done?
-what are the must see sites? how long do we need to stay to see it?
-what should we avoid?

We want to make sure that we don't cram too much in and not be able to soak it in. we both like to walk and enjoy, not rush. I'm thinking of Vienna for drop off, but am definitely open. I'm not sure how my wife would like the ring, so that one is 50/50.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:55 AM
Space Gray
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the time you have, I would pick 3 or 4 places. If you go north to include Prague, you could go Porsche->Rothenburg ob der Tauber-> spend nights in Nuremberg. From Nuremberg you can do day trips to Bamberg or Regensburg. Then spend a few nights in Prague, and then go to Vienna.
If you go southern route, I would stop in Munich, Salzburg, the Lakes District, Melk Abbey, and then Vienna. From Salzburg as a base you can visit Berchtesgaden, Hallstatt in the Lakes District (Salzkammergut). Also near Salzburg, the town of F.u.c.king (typing this way to bypass filter). Maybe get a picture taken with the town sign.
It depends on where you've been (assuming you prefer something new) and your interests. I picked up an M2 in Munich last year
Old 02-06-2018, 11:28 AM
mongolikecandy
Rennlist Member

That's really good advice! i'm now thinking of heading south from Stuttgart and leaving out of zurich or geneva. staying in 3 or 4 places along teh way will keep the drives to about 2 -3 hours, then explore from there. I'm thinking a route something like this https://rennlist.com/forums/***************/1P9f4z
do you have any recommendations along the way?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:54 PM
Space Gray
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been in Switzerland much, but I'll be visiting my sister in Geneva in May. I was thinking of swinging by Montreaux and paying homage to Freddie Mercury.
Other places near your route I'd recommend are Neuschwanstein Castle near Fussen. If you take this detour, I'd also suggest checking out Weiskirche, a baroque-style church out in the middle of nowhere.
The weather in Switzerland when you're going may not be warm enough yet for outdoor things like hiking.
In Stuttgart, for non-Porsche stuff, the Mercedes museum is good.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

West of Stuttgart is Baden Baden. From that point you can drive South on Route 500. Also called Hochstrasse. If you Google it you will see a lot of info, but its a winding route through the Black Forest

https://www.ultimatedrives.net/top-1...route_ID=20007

From that point Western Austria is close by and in that area you have a number of passes that you could spend days and days driving. I’ll be doing that later this year and using Lindau, Germany as base camp for the excursions. Silvretta is one of the more well know roads:

http://www.alpentourer.com/alpine_pa...elerhoehe.html

However, also in that area you have Flexenpass, Fernpass, Hahntennjoch to name a few.

Grossglockner is also a great pass and an easy day trip from Salzburg or Lenz.

Heading the other way you could travel to Switzerland and use Lucern or Interlaken as base camp for day trips to various mountain passes.

I know it can be overwhelming and I’ve been in the same boat with all the planning. 3 things to think about:

1) Don’t try and plan everything in one sitting. Spend time researching and thinking about where you want to do. For me the planning is great fun. I pick the towns and hotels first then use a lot of Google Maps to find fun routes between them

2) I know it sounds great to travel from A to B and try and hit 5-6 passes that day. Reality is that you will have vacationers traveling at 20mph in their Fiat Pandas slowing you down. Take time to enjoy the trip, plan on stopping, take a lot for pictures. Basically savor it and try not to feel rushed.

3) Stefan Bogner has a number of books out on all the great roads in Switzerland, Austria, Northern Italy, etc…. These have been very helpful in my planning. Available in Amazon
Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 AM
mongolikecandy
Rennlist Member

Space Gray and Monetthecat, thank you for your input! This is starting to come into vision, i was definitely a little overwhelmed at the task but feeling much better!
Old 02-08-2018, 02:28 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Given you have 10 days, I agree with the earlier post, pick 3 or 4 cities you want to stay and explore. My rule of thumb is 2-3 days per city, that way you can really enjoy it and explore without being rushed.

When I did it last summer, I stuck to Germany and picked up in Leipzig as Stuttgart was closed for deliveries. On my trip, which was 12 days, I had some must sees, such as Ingolstadt (Audi Museum), Munich (BMW), Stuttgart and Heidelberg and Frankfurt to drop-off and fly home, I didn't do a lot of driving and only put 1100 km on mine. My only regret was not spending the extra day to drive to the Nürburgring. Even if you took it easy and did a moderate speed lap, that would be a once in a lifetime experience and maybe add the ringtaxi to that list if you don't want to push your new baby.

I'm a planner myself and pre-booked all the hotels (some nice ones) and made sure that parking was suitable and safe :-) Google Maps and Street views are your friend.

If you are traveling into Austria or Switzerland, I believe you will need a vignette, basically a sticker that you pay for to drive on their roads. I think they can be purchased at gas stations or you can pre-order online from ADAC.

I found this website very informative, ADAC.de and they also have a booklet you can download that explains all the road signs in English.

https://www.adac.de/

Have fun planning!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many good recommendations, Rothenburg, Bamberg, Regensburg all great. I’d avoid Switzerland, they are nuts when it comes to speeding. Germany is ok in that account, 20km/h more than posted always ok, that will almost get you in jail in Switzerland (and their fines are based on you income)...

Personally, with a Porsche, I’d go to South Tyrolia, that’s the predominantly German speaking part of a northern Italy. You get the best of both worlds food-wise. Fantastic hotels 4-5* around Bozen or Meran, unbelievable roads (though some passes might still be closed).

If you come close to Frankfurt, let me know. Just planned an epic trip for a larger group (60 cars) of Porsche in May, can shoot you the GPS or we do that together.
The following users liked this post:
vancity (10-30-2022)
Old 02-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll give a shout-out for Northern Italy and the South Tyrol region. The area between Bolanzo (IT) and Cortina (IT) has some of the best mountain roads in all of Western Europe.

In Cortina you can stay at the Cristallo Hotel (member of Starwood). Its a fantastic hotel and has a partnership with the Cristallo Golf Club which a 9-hole course in the middle of the mountains. Huge elevation change and some of the best golf we've ever played. Played 2 rounds and walked it
Old 02-11-2018, 06:57 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by mongolikecandy
I'm not sure how my wife would like the ring, so that one is 50/50.
If you decide to go to the Ring fell free to send me a PM: I'm there during your stay in Europe. I'l be happy to help you if you need it - give your wife a nice and not scary ride on the Ring etc. Or nice and scary if she prefers that
Old 02-22-2018, 06:52 PM
mongolikecandy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the input! Sorry for teh slow reply, i've been traveling. Kobalt, i might take you up on that offer. Sven, are you heading south or north from frankfurt?
Old 02-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Thanks for all of the input! Sorry for the slow reply, i've been traveling. Kobalt, i might take you up on that offer. Sven, are you heading south or north from frankfurt?
HI,

Here is my itinerary:

28 April: Arriving in Nürburgring: TF in the eveneing
29 April Touristdriving all day
30 April Touristdriving all day
1 May Touristdriving all day (This day there's going to ba a LOT of great cars at the Ring)
2 May Scuderia Hanseat Track day (Normally passengers not possible, but might be negotiable)
3 May Scuderia Hanseat Track day (Normally passengers not possible, but might be negotiable)
4 May Scuderia Hanseat Track day - final exams with evening dinner , There is Touristdriving in the evening.
5 May Touristdriving all day
6 May Touristdriving all day, Driving to Sweden in the afternoon (preliminary)
7 May No driving on the Ring, Probably back in the evening.
8 May No driving on the Ring
9 May No driving on the Ring
10 May No driving on the Ring
Old 03-08-2018, 04:30 PM
mongolikecandy
Rennlist Member

Kobalt, that's some serious track time!
Old 03-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Kobalt, that's some serious track time!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:42 PM
mongolikecandy
Rennlist Member

Hi, I received this from my SA and thought it would be helpful to others Planning ED!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7dmhnif8r...Guide.pdf?dl=0
The following 2 users liked this post by mongolikecandy:
asuresh8 (11-19-2023), jkeev3 (12-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Sample Itinerary