Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

April 2018 GT3 Euro Delivery (Zuffenhausen) - First time! All input appreciated :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 04:39 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Kobalt those are great, great tips/advice and all make sense - thanks for sharing my friend. I will be sure to try and connect with you prior to my "ring run"
You are welcome

Some more minor things:

Buying lap can be done at the kiosk near the entrance of the track or here:

https://www.greenhelldriving.nuerburgring.de/#/landing

If you buy online you need the corresponing app in your phone.

The parking at the Tourist entrance: When parking there: Park in between the lines (they can be difficult to see) and the strict looking marshals will be nice to you.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
There is generally fewer cars on the track during weekdays then the weekends. But it is still very much very fast cars there.

I would suggest driving the track as a normal road:
Don't drive faster than you can see.
Stay on the right side.
If you gonna overtake: Look in your mirrors (a lot). Overtake on the left side.
Do not make any sudden moves - stay on your line.
Be prepared to be overtaken by cars travelling at very high speed.
Try to learn from video where the Adenauer Forst corner is: It is the most likely place for you to go off the track. It is a weird corner
If rain: Be very careful, it is extremely slippery at a couple of places on the track.
Listen to the meister! Great tips.

Kobalt, I had a good laugh reading your comment about Adenauer Forst. I went off there during my first lap st speed, so easy to be tricked on entry. When searching the 'ring photog sites when I got home I even found a video of my off! Lol
Old 01-15-2018, 05:22 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by signes
Kobalt, I had a good laugh reading your comment about Adenauer Forst. I went off there during my first lap st speed, so easy to be tricked on entry. When searching the 'ring photog sites when I got home I even found a video of my off! Lol

I did my first two laps on the Ring in a Suzuki Swift: It was in October and few cars on the track.
So I drove it careful but when I came to Adenauer Forst I was tricked by the corner and had a little moment - nothing serious. What was funny was that said to myself: Wow, this was strange, must remember this on my next lap.
Yes, you guessed it: The exact same thing happened again even though I was prepared: I misjudged the corner again.

(When I have a beginner in a high power car infront of me on the Ring and he don't want to let me by I usually just wait for Adenauer Forst and then overtake him there.)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:47 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

FYI: The Touristdriving dates are now available:

Old 01-16-2018, 02:04 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

FYI: The Touristdriving dates are now available:

I saw that on Instagram as well, thanks Kobalt

Is the tourist driving dates just the schedule that was posted? If so - the only date that is open during my timeframe is Monday April 16 which is exactly when I planned on going anyway
Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

I saw that on Instagram as well, thanks Kobalt

Is the tourist driving dates just the schedule that was posted? If so - the only date that is open during my timeframe is Monday April 16 which is exactly when I planned on going anyway
I think you are right: Only monday - from my perspective it is kind of strange. I'm at location 13-16 April to drive the RCN Race on the Saturday the 14th. The strange thing is that normally these weekends with te RCN races is open for TF on Friday evening, Saturday evening and the whole Sunday. Now these days are closed. My hope is that they will change this in time so I fully can enjoy the weekend.

FYI: Unfortunately I'm leaving early on the 16th of April but things might change who knows. If you plan to come to Nürburg already on the 15th we can meet up if you like.

Edit: on the 14th and 15th of April it is the Qualification races for Nurbrurgring 24H.

Last edited by Kobalt; 01-17-2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 01-17-2018, 03:16 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I think you are right: Only monday - from my perspective it is kind of strange. I'm at location 13-16 April to drive the RCN Race on the Saturday the 14th. The strange thing is that normally these weekends with te RCN races is open for TF on Friday evening, Saturday evening and the whole Sunday. Now these days are closed. My hope is that they will change this in time so I fully can enjoy the weekend.

FYI: Unfortunately I'm leaving early on the 16th of April but things might change who knows. If you plan to come to Nürburg already on the 15th we can meet up if you like.

Edit: on the 14th and 15th of April it is the Qualification races for Nurbrurgring 24H.
Do you think I should have any issues getting to the Ring on Monday April 16 because of the crowds/qualification on 14th/15th for Nurburgring 24H? As we get closer to April I'll also send you a PM to see if any availability in your schedule and maybe we can work something out. Would be cool to do some scenic drives in any area. In either case again thanks for your input, its really appreciated
Old 01-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Do you think I should have any issues getting to the Ring on Monday April 16 because of the crowds/qualification on 14th/15th for Nurburgring 24H? As we get closer to April I'll also send you a PM to see if any availability in your schedule and maybe we can work something out. Would be cool to do some scenic drives in any area. In either case again thanks for your input, its really appreciated
I think the major part of the teams leave Nürburg on the 15th - anyway: You are going there and they are going in the opposite direction so my opinion is that you should not have any problems going there.

Yes, let stay in contact and we see what happens.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:12 AM
whatif
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never done ED, but have driven around the region. I would get out of Stuttgart as soon as you can. There's usually a ton of traffic in town, and it's not that interesting of a place. If it was me, I would head south for better roads and weather. There are some incredible roads around north Italy near Cortina (Giau Pass). The Italians also don't mind speeding as much as the rest of Western Europe. Try to get to the South of France as well -- awesome views, roads, and food. Some of the best driving roads in Europe can be found in the mountains above Monaco (Col de Turini, etc). The weather will be much nicer than Germany as well. Enjoy and post some pics!
Old 03-24-2018, 05:21 PM
ciphers
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a solid itinerary. I did european delivery years ago and it was one of the best experiences I've had.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:24 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

My only suggestion is to consider staying in the Lake Como region instead of Milan. Some great hotels on the lake, beautiful vistas, and roads to enjoy your car. My expereince with Milan is that its a very busy and sprawling city - no much fun for driving a car.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:30 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

+1. I stayed at the Hotel Du Lac Varenna right on Lake Como during my second ED out of Leipzig.

Last edited by subshooter; 03-25-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:36 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

Trying to piece together this bucket list trip from reading other people's threads and sending a handful of people PMs, this is my first time ever doing euro delivery and its been awhile since I was last in Europe (mainly London and Paris) so I am new to this. I was happy to hear that euro delivery would be coming back in 2018 as since I was kid I wanted to do this with my old man...

Schedule (late March to early April 2018)

*Pre-Delivery*
2 days in London (hang out and enjoy, get adjusted a bit with the time since we will fly SFO->LHR->Stuttgart)

*Delivery*
DAY 1 - STUTTGART (check out Porsche/Benz museums, see some of the city if its worth it, contain excitement)
DAY 2 - STUTTGART (delivery day!!!!! enjoy the factory tour, car, drive around Stuttgart a bit)
DAY 3 - ROMANTIC ROAD
DAY 4 - GENEVA/CERN (enjoy the town, maybe find cool sights and drives nearby)
DAY 5 - EZE (maybe try to explore some of the Monte Carlo rally route, Route de Gentelly)
DAY 6, 7, 8 - TUSCANY/FLORENCE (enjoy some wine tastings, scenery, drives, visit Maranello for a day, Lamborghini, visit Imola)
DAY 9, 10 - MILAN (enjoy the city and sights, maybe drive to Como)
DAY 11 - ZURICH (enjoy city and sights, drive around)
DAY 12,13,14,15 - STUTTGART (have 4 days to explore before drop off. Planning to do a scenic Black Forest drive, do a Nurburgring lap, visit Motorworld dealership, maybe drive to Affalterbach if I can see some cool AMG stuff, and find very cool drives to enjoy the car before dropping her off)

A bit overwhelming to figure out hotels and where we will be with the car on any given day, let alone making sure that the hotel has adequate parking and is safe for the car. Maybe I am overthinking this a bit, but this is something that I really want to make an event out of and make sure it's planned appropriately to make some awesome memories with my dad and the car.

I guess I'm hoping for help to lock down a good "route" then plan logistics accordingly.

My questions are:
  • Any "must see" experiences in Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France that are roughly in the striking area of our planned route? We are open to all ideas
  • Did you guys book your hotels and lodging first, then work backwards from that, rather than the other way around?
  • Any concerns for the Porsche abroad in terms of security? I read always try to self-park if you can but my guess is most hotels will be valet
  • PPF, I think that I am going to pass on this until the car arrives stateside. It kind of takes some of the excitement out of the euro delivery if we take delivery then have to immediately take it to SchwabenFolia and not see it for a couple days, rather than immediately hit the road after delivery. I just hope the paint doesn't take too much of a beating while we drive it in Europe for 2 weeks
  • Vignette - read that I'll need one for Switzerland and it's best to order ahead of time and bring with you, any other countries need this?
  • AAA international driver's license, a must-have?
Any and all other tips, comments, input is GREATLY appreciated my friends. Worked very hard to get this allocation/car and now really hoping to make this the trip of a lifetime...some speed bumps along the way are inevitable I am sure but hope to be as prepared as possible for April..can't wait!!
Hi!
I noticed your itinerary and I thought I'd give you a few hotels, only because travel is my thing. First off, I'm on this site because I'm about to buy a Panamera and everyone has been great in giving me advice. My turn to return the favor!

So you know, I'm half Brit, half Swiss but have lived here for decades. I post quite a bit on Tripadvisor. My handle is WillTell1307. London: Stay at Claridges. Depending on how you plan it, think about staying at Villa d'Este just outside Como. You're thinking of Eze: I've not stayed at Le Chevre d'Or (eaten there twice) but am booked for July; can't wait. Alternatively there's Chateau St. Martin in Vence. Geneva... the best location is La Cigogne (bang smack in the middle of town) but I also really like La Reserve which is really a resort of sorts on the outside of town with a great little boat that takes you right to downtown. Zurich: Either the Baur au Lac or the Widder. I just stayed (again) at the Widder and I love it. Bang smack in the middle of the city. Baur au Lac might be more convenient from a parking perspective.

Happy to help with other travel advice, too. Of course, not with the routes. Again, look me up on Tripadvisor.

Cheers!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:42 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Stayed at Chateau Eze and had dinner at their Michelin star restaurant. Not sure how it compares to Le Chevre d'Or - but either place would work well for a base to either crusie into Monaco or drive Route Napoleon.

Last edited by brake dust; 04-04-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:58 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

FWIW: I'm in Nürburg 12th-15th of April, leaving early on the 15th. (I changed my plans a bit).

Quick Reply: April 2018 GT3 Euro Delivery (Zuffenhausen) - First time! All input appreciated :)