Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Insurance Alternatives for Extended Stay

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:24 PM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insurance Alternatives for Extended Stay

I was wondering if anyone has investigated alternatives to purchasing the insurance offered by Porsche for stays longer than the short period for which insurance is offered as part of the European Delivery program? I am considering keeping the car in Europe for the maximum six months allowed and the cost of the insurance offered by Porsche is almost prohibitive.

I have a second home in France but have never had to insure a car there as I always rent a car for short stays or do a lease/buyback with Peugeot for longer stays.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:18 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

The temp plates in Germany are what bears insurance IIRC. So just get "longer" export plates, altough I'm not sure you can go over 1 month and I'm also not sure you can get another set after the first ones expire.

You can insure a car in Slovakia that will be valid all over EU based on VIN and pretend you're going to import it BUT you might run into problems if you get into a serious accident as the car will never be registered and is basically a non-taxed object.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It is possible to only pay for the liability portion, if you can provide your own coverage for the collision. For example: USAA can insure and provide overseas insurance green cards for ED cars. I don't know if other insurance companies will do that.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

what constitutes "prohibitive".. i've got a march pickup and was thinking of keeping it there until July.. now I'm worried..
Old 01-16-2018, 03:40 AM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
what constitutes "prohibitive".. i've got a march pickup and was thinking of keeping it there until July.. now I'm worried..
Here’s what the dealer sent me—surely you’ve been provided with the same thing?

Attached Images

Last edited by dpdapper; 12-03-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Just for reference regarding insurance costs in Europe,

Insurance cost vary by which country or city the car is registered in, much like insurance here varies by location. I lived in both Geneva, Switzerland and Brussels, Belgium. I had my insurance with Wintertur, a large Swiss insurer. The rate in Belgium as 1.5x the rate in Switzerland. Considering how people drove, I understand why. I had a colleague that was transferring from Chicago to Brussels in 1989 and shipped his 928GT to Belgium. In Europe, you insurance is tied to your vehicle registration and number plates. Drop your insurance, and the police will confiscate your plates. This eliminates driving for any length of time without insurance. When the 928GT arrived in port it could not be released until it was registered and insured. The quote given by Wintertur for 12 months was $12,000. After some negotiation by our company who had huge amounts insured with Wintertur, a lower rate was provided.

So, be warned. Auto insurance for a Porsche in Europe is VERY expensive.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Yep.. $6k for 4 months.. I feel like throwing up
Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep.. $6k for 4 months.. I feel like throwing up
Might be worth buying a really cheap flat in Europe to have an address. My RS 4.0 is insured in France with Allianz for about €2k/year. Policy includes track days.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
Might be worth buying a really cheap flat in Europe to have an address. My RS 4.0 is insured in France with Allianz for about €2k/year. Policy includes track days.
I have multiple homes in Europe.. does that fix the situation??? I didn't realize there was an option to not use Porsche's insurance on an ED car which has to come back to the US?
Old 02-06-2018, 01:36 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Presumably multiple homes in Europe means multiple cars in Europe and European insurers? Can they not help? I have no experience of the ED US car situation but can't understand why it should be so expensive if you have a Euro insurance history.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
Presumably multiple homes in Europe means multiple cars in Europe and European insurers? Can they not help? I have no experience of the ED US car situation but can't understand why it should be so expensive if you have a Euro insurance history.
i was told i have to use the stupid expensive porsche insurance because it's an ED car.. but if you're saying having a home in europe makes a difference then I'm all ears. It's not the first time i'm learning something new on Rennlist which turns out to be true. I just hope it's not a "i think you can do this" masked as "I know you can do this".. i need facts from experience if anyone has them.

thanks.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:24 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

i was told i have to use the stupid expensive porsche insurance because it's an ED car.. but if you're saying having a home in europe makes a difference then I'm all ears. It's not the first time i'm learning something new on Rennlist which turns out to be true. I just hope it's not a "i think you can do this" masked as "I know you can do this".. i need facts from experience if anyone has them.

thanks.
It's definitely "i think you can do this", not "I know you can do this"! but in my instance I was able to do a lot better than going through Porsche insurance and having a home in France was part of the deal.

When I started looking for a 4.0 I got a quote from Porsche insurance, who use AXA in France, for a price range I estimated, to make sure I was not in for a nasty surprise. Eventually I found my ideal 4.0 and asked for a quote on the actual value, which was within the range I had given. The premium was up 33% and the excess 60%. The excuse when I asked why was that the first quote was for a Carrera! The salesman at the OPC then suggested an independent AXA agency that he knew. It quoted less than the 'Carrera' price for the same policy. I took that up but AXA wouldn't cover a car as expensive as the 4.0 for track days. Then I discovered that Allianz does and got a quote that was less again.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Very good, that's enough info for me.. I'm on a mission now. Thank you.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Mr.Bourne
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I’m also considering this route. Take ED of 911, then keep for 6 months at my Swiss house then ship back to my US house. Do not want to pay 6000euro for 6 months insurance. Anyone actually kept a ED car for 6months before shipping back to US?
Old 02-18-2018, 12:53 AM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Technically, there is also a mileage limitation with the Porsche ED in addition to the six months. They said they have shipped cars back to the States over the mileage limit with no problem but they really are washing their hands if there is a VAT issue with a car over the limit. Caveat emptor.

Quick Reply: Insurance Alternatives for Extended Stay