Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Insurance Alternatives for Extended Stay

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 04:22 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Semitone
Technically, there is also a mileage limitation with the Porsche ED in addition to the six months. They said they have shipped cars back to the States over the mileage limit with no problem but they really are washing their hands if there is a VAT issue with a car over the limit. Caveat emptor.
If you import a car from one EU country to another that's less than 6 months old or has less than 6,000km it's considered new and you pay VAT even if it's been paid in the country of origin. That probably means the mileage limit when exporting from the EU is 6,000km.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I used USAA to insure my GT3 Euro delivery for six months minus a day.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:17 PM
Mr.Bourne
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Thanks for this, exactly what I was wondering. I would find it hard to put 6k km on it. I have a primary car and would only use weekends/drives to and from Switzerland.

I need to to look int US insurance options. The Porsche insurance is far too high.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 AM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
Technically, there is also a mileage limitation with the Porsche ED in addition to the six months. They said they have shipped cars back to the States over the mileage limit with no problem but they really are washing their hands if there is a VAT issue with a car over the limit. Caveat emptor.
See this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=150161
Old 02-26-2018, 10:30 AM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
If you import a car from one EU country to another that's less than 6 months old or has less than 6,000km it's considered new and you pay VAT even if it's been paid in the country of origin. That probably means the mileage limit when exporting from the EU is 6,000km.
Actually, the way the law reads if the vehicle has less than 6,000 km OR is less than six months old, it is considered "new." So, if it is less than six months old, it is considered new regardless of mileage (kilometrage?) Porsche NA has confirmed this to me. See this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=150161.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:43 AM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I have multiple homes in Europe.. does that fix the situation??? I didn't realize there was an option to not use Porsche's insurance on an ED car which has to come back to the US?
So, to get back to my original question about options for extended insurance, I went to my agent in France (Allianz) through whom I insure my apartment in France and he gave me a very reasonable quote. The downside is that he says it's for a year but it's still cheaper than Porsche's insurance for six months. And I'll see what happens once I export the vehicle and it's no longer insurable in France. . . . He did say, "Well, I wouldn't do this for just anybody." Probably just trying to make me feel good. YMMV.

Also, I requested an online quote from AXA (http://www.axa-in-france.fr/en/) and after much back and forth they gave me a reasonably good quote as well. The only catch is that they are saying they "will need a copy of the Certificat de Conformité proving you have started the registration process in France," which, of course, I have no intention of doing. Another exchange of emails might clear this up, but I'll probably go with my guy at Allianz.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:06 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

To the OP...just how will you tie the road registration and insurance together beyond the period arranged by Porsche for you car. Porsche will present you a car with temporary customs plates that are distinctly different from any EU plates. They clearly display the last day for which they are valid. Will Porsche deliver the car to you with a road registration longer than what you've purchased thru them and allow you to arrange your own insurance? I can foresee that you'd have to self register the car in your country of residence and that government would have to issue you plates for the period after you customs plates expire. This would seem to imply you've exported the car to your country of residence. Somebody is going to want to collect the VAT, and I think it will be Germany.

I am not saying your plan won't work, but I'm just trying to identify potential issues for you that you should consider and resolve before you have an unpleasant surprise.

Here is a look at my customs plate from last June. Note the date stamped in the upper right corner.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:04 PM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S

To the OP...just how will you tie the road registration and insurance together beyond the period arranged by Porsche for you car. Porsche will present you a car with temporary customs plates that are distinctly different from any EU plates. They clearly display the last day for which they are valid. Will Porsche deliver the car to you with a road registration longer than what you've purchased thru them and allow you to arrange your own insurance? I can foresee that you'd have to self register the car in your country of residence and that government would have to issue you plates for the period after you customs plates expire. This would seem to imply you've exported the car to your country of residence. Somebody is going to want to collect the VAT, and I think it will be Germany.

I am not saying your plan won't work, but I'm just trying to identify potential issues for you that you should consider and resolve before you have an unpleasant surprise.

Here is a look at my customs plate from last June. Note the date stamped in the upper right corner.
Yup, similar to the “TT” (transit temporaire) plates in France you get on a short-term VAT-exempt lease from Peugeot for non-EU residents. I’ve explained this to my agent and that the car will be exported from the EU before the plates expire and he didn’t seem concerned. Plus the insurer is Allianz, a German company. So, I’m not sure what else I can tell him. 🤔
Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Last I looked into, USAA for insurance in Europe - is only for military/ex military veterans. Is that still the case?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:48 AM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brake dust
Last I looked into, USAA for insurance in Europe - is only for military/ex military veterans. Is that still the case?
AFAIK.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

It’s $4000 to keep my GT3RS in Europe for 3 months.
Idiots at Porsche only sell 3 months as of summer 2018.

You’d think that they can make a profit on these rates but the European Delivery Program at Porsche these days is really a European delivery Discouragement department.

The 3 months are covered these days through Porsche with Allianz, so I now have to start Googling for contact info to extend it another 3 months.
Asked multiple times for info but got absolutely nothing except that it’s Allianz.
In 2015 it was Zurich.

I have addresses in Europe but I do t think that matters.
Has anyone have done this yet, this year?

Could well be the ED for me with Porsche and so, my last new Porsche.
MB, BMW, Audi all offer discounts, customer service and 6 months without BS.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:48 AM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It’s $4000 to keep my GT3RS in Europe for 3 months.
Idiots at Porsche only sell 3 months as of summer 2018.

You’d think that they can make a profit on these rates but the European Delivery Program at Porsche these days is really a European delivery Discouragement department.

The 3 months are covered these days through Porsche with Allianz, so I now have to start Googling for contact info to extend it another 3 months.
Asked multiple times for info but got absolutely nothing except that it’s Allianz.
In 2015 it was Zurich.

I have addresses in Europe but I do t think that matters.
Has anyone have done this yet, this year?

Could well be the ED for me with Porsche and so, my last new Porsche.
MB, BMW, Audi all offer discounts, customer service and 6 months without BS.
Having just dropped off a Cayman GTS in Stuttgart last week after three months in Europe, I can tell you that the problem is not that you can only get three months' insurance from Porsche, it's that your registration and license plates will only be valid for 90 days. So, unless you plan on driving with expired plates (as you probably know, the plates have the expiration date embossed on them), you're out of luck.

According to Porsche (both PCNA and upon pick up in Stuttgart), as of 2018 the Germans will only register non-European spec cars for 90 days. Before I understood that was the case I was able to convince my Allianz agent in Europe, where I have an apartment, to write a six-month policy even though I only have a California license, but once Porsche said I could only keep the car in Europe for 90 days, it became pointless and I bought the insurance from Porsche.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Trying to escalate this up to the European Discouragement department. Thank you for your posts.
I'll take the 3 months I guess but maybe buying a BMW / Mercedes with 8% discounted is cheaper and sell when it gets here?
Old 12-03-2018, 12:13 PM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Good luck. I tried that, too. Very long story but in the end what they told me was that it's not a Porsche issue, it's a German authorities issue. Say hi to Jamie
Dillon for me.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Wrote Jamie off.
trying to see if there’s anyone else at Porsche that cares but probably not.

Oh well one last hurrah with porsche then.

It’s a Porsche thing because others are still doing the usual 6 months as it’s allowed since the 1950’s..

Quick Reply: Insurance Alternatives for Extended Stay