Notices

Road Trip USA (From Europe)

Old 12-07-2015, 11:46 AM
TonyOldback
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip USA (From Europe)

I am planning a Road Trip around the USA in a 2015, GT3. I have most of the transport side sorted, but would like to have some information about US insurance.

The car is traveling from Europe to New York, should arrive just after new year.
  1. What does it cost?
  2. Can I do it online?
  3. Any troubles I might run into? (for example, will they insure non US cars?)
Old 12-08-2015, 01:52 AM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Might be tough to do online since they will always ask for your driver's license number + state of issue (for driving violation check), social security number (for credit check) and VIN of the vehicle (might have problems with a non-US VIN). Calling an insurance broker directly would be the best way to get coverage. If you don't have a US driver's license or a US vehicle it probably would be some sort of custom policy.

By the way, auto insurance isn't a requirement in all 50 states of the USA (New Hampshire doesn't require it), so you could theoretically come without insurance if your home country doesn't require it. Certainly not recommended though. I would look into at least theft/comprehensive and lots of liability insurance to drive around with any sort of comfort level.

Otherwise as long as the country that your vehicle is registered in is a signatory to the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic, you are good to go.

Sounds like a great trip, keep us updated.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:00 AM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Just another thing - you can go to geico.com or progressive.com to get an instant quote for six months coverage of a 2015 GT3 based upon the information that you provide to them online. Give a NYC, Miami, Chicago or LA address to get an expensive rate. You won't need a drivers license number or SS number to get the quote. This will give you a quote for a US driver in a US car. If you have to go with some kind of custom insurance from an independent broker I would guess you can double the online quote.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Trip USA (From Europe)