Notices

Favorite Vermont Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 10:46 AM
Vermont1
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Favorite Vermont Drive

Northern New England has some of the best Porsche driving I’ve found. Vermont has some spectacular scenery plus some wonderful back rounds with twisting corners, many nicely banked. I have several great runs but my all time favorite is the following: Starting in Chester Vermont, head North on newly paved State Rd 103 heading towards Ludlow. This scenic section runs through farm land and into the Green Mountains. Approaching Ludlow, turn right on State Road 131. This highway takes you down a river valley with almost no side roads entering, very few houses and it’s newly paved surface is awesome driving. Leaving behind the river, 131 enters a broad valley with Mountains looming in the background, lots of places to pass slow pokes. You eventually arrive at the Connecticut River where I turn right down Route 5 on the Vermont side heading back towards home. This winding road has spectacular scenery and again , lots of opportunities to pass. Vermont has very few patrol cars and they won’t stop you if you stay within 10 MPH of the limit. This above mentioned route is about 50 miles long and one hour of driving. Vermont law permits passing on a double yellow line with the proviso that if you cause an accident on the other side of the double line, you are at fault. This wonderful loophole allows us Porsche drivers to utilize our horse power to make quick safe passes that would otherwise be illegal. I have several other great rides, especially in Southern Vermont if anyone is interested. ( I drive a 2006 997 S)
The following 3 users liked this post by Vermont1:
JDBgt4 (02-06-2022), lcjhnsn (02-05-2022), phsingl (02-09-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 02:56 PM
lcjhnsn
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like an interesting short loop. If you (or anyone else) use RideWithGPS to map out routes, I've created this loop on there, titled: Chester Vermont Loop. As much as I love the great roads and scenery in Vermont, I find many of the locals to militantly drive under the speed limits, to intentionally annoy us out-of-town'ers in fancy cars.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:53 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,658 Likes on 784 Posts

Awesome! My car is scheduled to arrive in late March and I plan on taking a ride up to my place at Mt Snow to get some of the break in miles under her. This will help tick up the odometer or roads perfect for break in driving.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:10 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Vermont 1, thanks for your post and this thread. Are you a Green Mountain Region (GMR PCA) member? I'm just outside of Philadelphia and a long time member of PCA - Reisentoter Region, and have also joined (last year) GMR . My wife and I have done several road trips to Vermont over the years including two this past year with GMR, which is a terrific group of wonderful people. I encourage every Porsche owner to join. We did a trip 6 or 7 (IIRC) years ago from the Phila. area with RTR (also a great group of people) to the Grafton Inn and then a long loop (almost all 2 lane roads) up through Waterbury and back to Grafton.

lcjhnsn, we've enjoyed seeing the locals' facial expressions as 15 or 20 Porsches cruise through a beautiful small town. Haven't noticed any middle finger signals.

Hopefully we'll get to meet sometime this spring or summer!
Old 02-09-2022, 12:43 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

That whole area is around my weekend place - great roads indeed. 131 was resurfaced last year and is pristine, follows the river through Cavendish.
you can also bear north off 131 on 106 and then right on 44 through Brownsville which has some great twisties passing North of Mt Asctuney.

Year on Year the roads do deteriorate in VT due to the frost heaves but the route you outline has pretty much all been redone in the last 5 years...

further North rt100 is pretty fun and rt17 over Mad River glen has almost Alpine switchbacks on the North side for a full "Stelvio" experience...
Old 02-09-2022, 12:47 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richard C2S
Vermont 1, thanks for your post and this thread. Are you a Green Mountain Region (GMR PCA) member? I'm just outside of Philadelphia and a long time member of PCA - Reisentoter Region, and have also joined (last year) GMR . My wife and I have done several road trips to Vermont over the years including two this past year with GMR, which is a terrific group of wonderful people. I encourage every Porsche owner to join. We did a trip 6 or 7 (IIRC) years ago from the Phila. area with RTR (also a great group of people) to the Grafton Inn and then a long loop (almost all 2 lane roads) up through Waterbury and back to Grafton.

lcjhnsn, we've enjoyed seeing the locals' facial expressions as 15 or 20 Porsches cruise through a beautiful small town. Haven't noticed any middle finger signals.

Hopefully we'll get to meet sometime this spring or summer!
I never thought about joining another regional PCA - makes some sense (I'm Metro NY currently) is there a discount for 2nd membership? ;P
Old 02-09-2022, 12:55 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Originally Posted by lcjhnsn
Sounds like an interesting short loop. If you (or anyone else) use RideWithGPS to map out routes, I've created this loop on there, titled: Chester Vermont Loop. As much as I love the great roads and scenery in Vermont, I find many of the locals to militantly drive under the speed limits, to intentionally annoy us out-of-town'ers in fancy cars.
Porsche Roads app I've found has improved over the years and the benefit is it it integrates with carplay (if you have that)...

Quick Reply: Favorite Vermont Drive