Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   East US Rennlist Region (https://rennlist.com/forums/east-us-rennlist-region-95/)
-   -   PA RT 6: need suggestions (https://rennlist.com/forums/east-us-rennlist-region/1258592-pa-rt-6-need-suggestions.html)

PowderJunkie 07-02-2021 08:00 PM

PA RT 6: need suggestions

Hey all - Askig this question to the PA Rennlisters (anyone with knowledge welcomed to comment). My wife and I are driving from CT up to Jamestown NY in early Aug. Rather then do all highways I am planning on driving across PA via RT 6 to enjoy the twistier roads and better sceneray. We aren't on a tight timeline and plan on doing 5ish hours on day 1 and a few hours on day 2.

My Question: Need suggestions for a good place to stay along the way, looking for something comfy if possible. I also need suggestions on places to stop: eat, and/or check things out site see etc.

Appreciate it in advance.

Kevin8tor 07-02-2021 08:22 PM

Not my part of PA, but it's definitely the Pennsyltucky region; where men are men, and sheep are scared.

PowderJunkie 07-02-2021 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin8tor (Post 17529053)
Not my part of PA, but it's definitely the Pennsyltucky region; where men are men, and sheep are scared.

LOL - soooo your saying, do the drive in 1 day :roflmao:

Kevin8tor 07-02-2021 08:53 PM

.... And keep the doors locked. Just kidding, should be a beautiful drive.

gt3racerich 07-03-2021 11:01 AM

See post #111:
https://rennlist.com/forums/east-us-...-thread-8.html

rugu6869 07-09-2021 02:45 PM

I've been hunting in Potter County for years. Coudersport, PA would be one of the "main" towns along Rt. 6 where you'll find food and lodging.
The slogan for Potter County is "God's Country." You will enjoy your drive for sure. Very beautiful.

PowderJunkie 07-09-2021 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by gt3racerich (Post 17529708)

Thanks for surfacing. Appreciate it.

Originally Posted by rugu6869 (Post 17540727)
I've been hunting in Potter County for years. Coudersport, PA would be one of the "main" towns along Rt. 6 where you'll find food and lodging.
The slogan for Potter County is "God's Country." You will enjoy your drive for sure. Very beautiful.

Thanks for the rec will definitely check it out.

PowderJunkie 07-09-2021 04:52 PM

Anyone ever stayed at any of these places:

Coudersport

Hotel Crittenden

Mansfield

Penn Wills Hotel

Hampton inn and suites

Micro inn (Wyndham)

Cross Roards B&B

La Belle B&B

Marigold B&B

gt3racerich 07-11-2021 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by PowderJunkie (Post 17540824)
Thanks for surfacing. Appreciate it.

Thanks for the rec will definitely check it out.

Please let us know how you make out. It is something I want to do.

DSC48 07-11-2021 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by PowderJunkie (Post 17529015)
Hey all - Askig this question to the PA Rennlisters (anyone with knowledge welcomed to comment). My wife and I are driving from CT up to Jamestown NY in early Aug. Rather then do all highways I am planning on driving across PA via RT 6 to enjoy the twistier roads and better sceneray. We aren't on a tight timeline and plan on doing 5ish hours on day 1 and a few hours on day 2.

My Question: Need suggestions for a good place to stay along the way, looking for something comfy if possible. I also need suggestions on places to stop: eat, and/or check things out site see etc.

Appreciate it in advance.

I am in western NJ and head out to PA-6 a few times a year. Planning an overnight trip later this month, actually.

I've done PA-6 from the eastern end (Milford, PA) to Potter County in the heart of the state. PA has a ROUTE 6 website that is a little out of date but will get you up and running.

Some highlights worth at least passing by: Lake Wallenpaupack, Honesdale, Tunkhannock, Wyalusing. Centralia is a must see if you have the time. If you have more time Lewisburg is a great place to stay but it's well off Route 6. From Lewisburg, Route 192 or Route 45 West to State College is a wonderful ride. Also lots of plight to see in Carbon and Columbia Counties, which is the heart of coal country. Or was. Jim Thorpe is a great little town if you have time for lunch or a drink.

There is very, very little law enforcement out there, but some of the little towns do have police departments and they use VASCAR for speed enforcement. In the rural areas, PSP uses K-band exclusively (or laser on the interstates) so you can definitely have a spritied drive when you want to.

I attached a spreadsheet that should get you started. Ask any other questions!

PowderJunkie 07-16-2021 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by DSC48 (Post 17543560)
I am in western NJ and head out to PA-6 a few times a year. Planning an overnight trip later this month, actually.

I've done PA-6 from the eastern end (Milford, PA) to Potter County in the heart of the state. PA has a ROUTE 6 website that is a little out of date but will get you up and running.

Some highlights worth at least passing by: Lake Wallenpaupack, Honesdale, Tunkhannock, Wyalusing. Centralia is a must see if you have the time. If you have more time Lewisburg is a great place to stay but it's well off Route 6. From Lewisburg, Route 192 or Route 45 West to State College is a wonderful ride. Also lots of plight to see in Carbon and Columbia Counties, which is the heart of coal country. Or was. Jim Thorpe is a great little town if you have time for lunch or a drink.

There is very, very little law enforcement out there, but some of the little towns do have police departments and they use VASCAR for speed enforcement. In the rural areas, PSP uses K-band exclusively (or laser on the interstates) so you can definitely have a spritied drive when you want to.

I attached a spreadsheet that should get you started. Ask any other questions!

Wow this is incredible information. Our plans have slightly changed and we are trying to do the trip in 1 day so we can spend the weekend on the lake (our final destination Ashville NY/Jamestown). I have been going back and forth on whether or not I wanted to still do Rt 6 or now stick to major highways. It's the diffrence of an all day trip vs 6.5 hours.

Are the views/roads along rt 6 worth it? If it were just me I would spend all day doing this drive as I love nothing more then being behind the wheel on fun roads. Your swaying me towards Rt6 with the comment about lack of law enforcement. I have an intergrated radar/laser jammer as well.

My main concern (since we are limiting the trip to 1 day) is that it's a single lane road. How much traffic have you experienced?

rugu6869 07-16-2021 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by PowderJunkie (Post 17553821)
Wow this is incredible information. Our plans have slightly changed and we are trying to do the trip in 1 day so we can spend the weekend on the lake (our final destination Ashville NY/Jamestown). I have been going back and forth on whether or not I wanted to still do Rt 6 or now stick to major highways. It's the diffrence of an all day trip vs 6.5 hours.

Are the views/roads along rt 6 worth it? If it were just me I would spend all day doing this drive as I love nothing more then being behind the wheel on fun roads. Your swaying me towards Rt6 with the comment about lack of law enforcement. I have an intergrated radar/laser jammer as well.

My main concern (since we are limiting the trip to 1 day) is that it's a single lane road. How much traffic have you experienced?

From my experience, there isn't much traffic and the scener is stellar. You won't believe you're in PA. Gorgeous and worth the extra time IMHO.

PowderJunkie 07-16-2021 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by rugu6869 (Post 17554014)
From my experience, there isn't much traffic and the scener is stellar. You won't believe you're in PA. Gorgeous and worth the extra time IMHO.

you might have swayed me. What's an extra hour at that point and it sounds like it's worth it.

JRBucks 07-18-2021 04:44 PM

The wife and I road tripped RT.6 in 2012. We stayed at the Comfort Inn in Towanda, it is as good as a CI can be. We also stayed at the Holiday Inn in Warren which was nice and the Sheraton in Erie. It is a beautiful and relaxing ride. Points of interest Grand canyon of PA in Wellsboro, Kinzua dam in Warren. Don't be afraid to take some of the side roads that run parallel to Rt6, they are even better. Have fun

DSC48 07-23-2021 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by PowderJunkie (Post 17553821)

I guess everyone is different, but if you bought a Porsche, and you're taking the Porsche, and you're considering the Route 6 trip, I would do it for sure. Worst case is you are underwhelmed and you wasted a few hours.