Notices

Speeding Ticket Questions (NY State)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 11:01 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
So...... I was a bit too enthusiastic (and irresponsible) with the right pedal today and got nabbed on Route 87 doing 91 in a 65.... first speeding ticket in 9 years, and first one in the state of NY...

Would anyone be so kind as to advise on the best route to avoid points and the ticket (if possible)? I am an out of state driver (live in NJ)
Sorry to hear this. I would bet you were likely going faster before you got nailed. Easy to do triple digits on that road.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:56 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Wow what a wrong answer

Always hire an attorney and tell them to make it go away at all cost. The value proposition is there in that over time your insurance rate increases will more than cover that cost. Make sure your attorney delays it twice and understands you dont want a reduced ticket you want it to have never happened. I call day before ct date as most attorneys wont remember what they are doing that day.

Originally Posted by 911Monte
A lot of info in this thread. Lawyers, court dates with long shot odds, rescheduling, revoking driving privileges. All those options are more work than they are worth.

Seems to me the best path forward is to own it, pay the fines and higher insurance and just be more careful for a bit?

Last edited by Bud Taylor; 01-22-2024 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 02:23 PM
awittig
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

LEO perspective on rescheduling and hoping the cop doesn't show up- they WILL show up.
My dad and brother are LEO. They get paid overtime rates for court/travel time. There is a financial incentive for them to show up. If the date conflicts with their schedule, the judge will reschedule to accommodate the officer's schedule.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:53 AM
Kevin Mark
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey gang,
Just wanted to provide an update on where things stand...

I figured the most prudent approach was to engage a lawyer to handle this situation since my work schedule won't allow me to make it to traffic court next week in Tuxedo, NY. They've entered a NOT GUILTY please on my behalf, and have mentioned that this situation that I've found myself in is rather common as many of you have also stated. I should have more info next week, and will keep you guys updated accordingly.

Really appreciate everyone's help and especially the folks that PM'd me with some suggestions, you're all gentlemen and scholars in my book!
Thanks for keeping us in the loop! It sounds like you've taken a solid approach by hiring a lawyer, especially with your busy schedule. It is great to hear that your experience is notunusual and that you're well-represented. Looking forward to hearing more about how things pan out. Keep us posted, and best of luck with everything!
Old 05-09-2024, 01:39 AM
Kevin Mark
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey gang,
Just wanted to provide an update on where things stand...

I figured the most prudent approach was to engage a lawyer to handle this situation since my work schedule won't allow me to make it to traffic court next week in Tuxedo, NY. They've entered a NOT GUILTY please on my behalf, and have mentioned that this situation that I've found myself in is rather common as many of you have also stated. I should have more info next week, and will keep you guys updated accordingly.

Really appreciate everyone's help and especially the folks that PM'd me with some suggestions, you're all gentlemen and scholars in my book!
Thanks for keeping us informed about the situation with your traffic court case. It sounds like a good decision to involve a lawyer since you can't make it to court. It's great to hear that they entered a not guilty plea on your behalf, and it's reassuring to know that this is a common situation.
traffic ticket in New Jersey
Old 06-27-2024, 02:33 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 410 Posts

Just hire Matis at www.Notspeeding.com. He’ll take care of you, especially if you let me refer you to him. He’s helped me several times (but it was always just be a the speed-limit sign was broken :- )).
Old 06-27-2024, 07:16 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 972 Likes on 543 Posts

Another good lawyer is Casey Raskob, been doing this for decades and a supporting member of the NMA:

https://www.speedlaw.net/
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (07-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Questions (NY State)