Speeding Ticket Questions (NY State)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteJav
Doesn't matter, I have a PA license, if you do not pay that, your license (even if its from another state) is suspended in NY. They then send letters to your state level DMV saying they have suspended your license in their state, which will cause your state to start giving your grief from their level. (similar to collecting a DUI in another state that subsequently suspends your license there) Same with insurance etc. If you ever drive into NY again and get stopped you will be subject to arrest for the unpaid fine. If you plan to never ever drive in NY again, you're right, screw the fine and walk away. Maybe in your scenario the ticket was under the 6 point threshold, which is where this mess all begins.
You don't seem to get it. No one is saying the OP shouldn't pay the fine. I am saying the OP should plead guilty and pay the fine for this NY ticket and it all ends right there. No surcharge, no extra fees, no suspensions, no insurance increases, no need for a lawyer. I know because I did exactly this two years ago. If the fine is paid in full there is nothing more NY can do to you.

Each state has a different level of reciprocity with each other state. NY and NJ have very different points and suspension systems so NJ doesn't accept NY's points on NJ licenses. NJ awards just 2 points for a NY ticket no matter how many points the ticket is in NY and NY is not allowed to apply future surcharges to NJ drivers based on NY points.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 309 Posts

You're not following what we are saying to you. Directed to Carlo Carrera.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:24 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You don't seem to get it.
No. You are just not paying attention: NY assesses an additional fine after you plead guilty to the original violation.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:35 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
No. You are just not paying attention: NY assesses an additional fine after you plead guilty to the original violation.
No, NY can not assess additional fines to a NJ licensed drivers if the NJ licensed driver pays the original fine on time.

I know this because I am a NJ licensed driver. I received a speeding ticket two years ago in NY State. I plead guilty and paid the fine immediately and never received any additional fines or penalties. The end.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:37 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ceepe
You're not following what we are saying to you. Directed to Carlo Carrera.
No, you are not following what I am saying.

I am a NJ licensed driver. I received a speeding ticket two years ago in NY State. I plead guilty and paid the fine immediately and never received any additional fines or penalties. The end.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 564 Likes on 301 Posts

It is not another fine or surcharge. The state goes after you with a CIVIL ACTION and demands another $600. This is after the violation is adjudicated. In civil court there is not reasonable doubt. If you don't pay up they will take the civil judgement to your DMV and they will not suspend your license but they will put a hold on you conducting any DMV business. So when your <insert state> license expires, guess what?
Old 01-07-2020, 11:30 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

No, you are not following what I am saying.

I am a NJ licensed driver. I received a speeding ticket two years ago in NY State. I plead guilty and paid the fine immediately and never received any additional fines or penalties. The end.
dude, we are talking about NY taking action on an out of state license (suspension), which is only relevant if you are caught driving in NY state. We're not saying the points transfer. Or maybe part of this discussion and what you are responding to is that. That's not the part I'm talking about. A NY ticket can be a huge problem for an out of state driver if you drive in NY daily. Like commuting into work??
Old 01-07-2020, 11:32 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You all don't seem to realize that every state has different reciprocity agreements with every other state for moving violations . What happens between New York and New Jersey it's not the same as what happens between New York and any other state. New Jersey does not allow New York to assess find penalties or any other additional fees or suspensions on New Jersey license drivers. This is different then the agreements New York has with Connecticut or Pennsylvania or whoever.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:34 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

You all don't seem to realize that every state has different reciprocity agreements with every other state for moving violations . What happens between New York and New Jersey it's not the same as what happens between New York and any other state. New Jersey does not allow New York to assess find penalties or any other additional fees or suspensions on New Jersey license drivers. This is different then the agreements New York has with Connecticut or Pennsylvania or whoever.
omg. What happens if you get 12 points in NY with an out of state license? Can you still drive in NY? Even though the points are not technically on your home state license? How is this hard to process?
Old 01-07-2020, 11:37 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

dude, we are talking about NY taking action on an out of state license (suspension), which is only relevant if you are caught driving in NY state. We're not saying the points transfer. Or maybe part of this discussion and what you are responding to is that. That's not the part I'm talking about. A NY ticket can be a huge problem for an out of state driver if you drive in NY daily. Like commuting into work??
That is a completely different scenario.

We're not talking about getting multiple tickets in New York. We're talking about the best way to deal with this single ticket the OP has received. It's up to him to decide whether he thinks it's worth paying an additional fee for a lawyer to get the points reduced if he's going to be driving in New York often.

I drive in New York State often and all I did was keep it clean for two years and the six points I received two years ago have already dropped off. As I said end of story, no extra fees, no lawyer, no penalties.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:39 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

omg. What happens if you get 12 points in NY with an out of state license? Can you still drive in NY? Even though the points are not technically on your home state license? How is this hard to process?
You keep bringing this up like it has already happened. It has not.

We're only talking about one ticket. The OP has control over his actions. All he has to do is keep it clean for two years and all of the six points drop off.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:43 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 564 Likes on 301 Posts

Its part of NY DMV, they asses a civil "Driver improvement penalty". You can't go to jail, they can suspend your privilege to drive in NY and get your DMV to put a hold on any transactions. It has nothing to do with points or your license in your home state. We just paid up and forgot about it.
Driver Improvement Unit
NYS DMV
6 Empire State Plaza, Room 338
Albany, NY 12228
(518) 474-0774, Option #5 (Phone Hours: M-F, 8:30 – Noon)
FAX (518) 474-6208
Old 01-07-2020, 11:43 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

How about insurance? Can your insurance company find out you got a ticket in NY?
Old 01-07-2020, 11:49 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Catharpin
Its part of NY DMV, they asses a civil "Driver improvement penalty". You can't go to jail, they can suspend your privilege to drive in NY and get your DMV to put a hold on any transactions. It has nothing to do with points or your license in your home state. We just paid up and forgot about it.
Driver Improvement Unit
NYS DMV
6 Empire State Plaza, Room 338
Albany, NY 12228
(518) 474-0774, Option #5 (Phone Hours: M-F, 8:30 – Noon)
FAX (518) 474-6208
i'm going to say this for the one hundredth time. New Jersey does not allow New York to apply civil penalties to New Jersey license drivers. I've already checked with my NJ DMV last year when I was going through this process with my New York State ticket My license is clear there's nothing outstanding from any other state.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:51 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
How about insurance? Can your insurance company find out you got a ticket in NY?
No, New Jersey does not allow other states to report tickets to New Jersey licensed driver's insurance companies.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Questions (NY State)