Speeding Ticket Questions (NY State)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 10:29 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
We're talking about when the speed amount over the limit lands the ticket into a category which will produce enough points to be a problem (I cited a ticket in Westchester which was written for the maximum allowed points, a single ticket). Or, a ticket in CT I received in 2019 which had a mandatory court appearance and was written as a misdemeanor. If it's a first ticket for 10MPH over its easier to pay it, yes. The OP referenced a +25mph over ticket in Westchester county. They go hog wild after a certain speed, which I think is 25 over. You're talking about 500-600 in fines at least and a large amount of points. Regardless if the license is out of state. If you drive in NY that's all that matters. If points were not involved of course you'd just pay it and move on.

That's before you even get to the ticket being justified or not. I've received some tickets in the 911 that were not legit. Do you still plead guilty if you don't feel the ticket is accurate?
The OP has a NJ license. With NJ no matter how many points the ticket is out of state NJ only applies 2 point to your license. I detailed this back in post #6.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carlo_Carrera:
0luke1 (01-10-2020), NJBThor (01-06-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 10:38 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

NY state, and NYC/ 5 boroughs specifically, is like no other place in the US. Which is why I moved out of NYC, but thats another story.
The tricks and rules that work and apply all over America do not apply to NY.

NJ is honestly the best place to get a ticket if you dont want points, dont want to fight and walk away fast. They are set up for the process like a machine
and process guilty verdicts like changing channels on a TV..instantly. You cannot win if you fight and the wasted time trying to fight makes it foolish to try.

You get a ticket in the NYC area and you MUST fight it. There is no penalty or benefit to not taking a shot and pleading not guilty, so you just plead NG and fight it.

Tricks: Delay and adjourn it as long as possible to postpone the trial as long as you can before the points hit your license. The time it takes to come off of your license STARTS on the date of the ticket.
So, if you get a ticket on Jan 1 2020 the points will fall off your license after 2 years (I think) on Jan 1, 2022. However, if you can delay the trial for a year, then you only have to stay clean for 12 months, for example.

If the cop retires, is injured or ill or even dies, then you will most likely prevail by his not appearing two times.

You can question the calibration of the laser or radar equipment and request dated certification documents.
You can question the cops training and ability to use said equipment.

I can go on and on but, its really a tough fight because the Judge really doesn't care what you say as the Cops word is near gospel. You need to have slam dunk proof to beat it.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:41 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

"The OP has a NJ license. With NJ no matter how many points the ticket is out of state NJ only applies 2 point to your license. I detailed this back in post #6."

But that has a significant impact on your insurance premiums. Could equate to thousands of dollars in increased premium for an expensive car or family with multiple vehicles..
Old 01-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,236 Likes on 748 Posts

It is 3 years for points to come off (in NY), not 2.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:48 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Porsche Nuts: I wasnt sure but I think you are correct. Point is the same, if you can delay the conviction as long as possible, you will have less exposure and insurance premiums to pay. The 3 years starts the date the ticket is written, so if you can delay it for 2 years you only have to worry about more points or Insurance premiums for 1 additional year instead of 3. Not so easy to do but, possible
Old 01-05-2020, 10:55 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
"The OP has a NJ license. With NJ no matter how many points the ticket is out of state NJ only applies 2 point to your license. I detailed this back in post #6."

But that has a significant impact on your insurance premiums. Could equate to thousands of dollars in increased premium for an expensive car or family with multiple vehicles..
NY state has the ability to suspend driving privileges in NY, regardless of licensed state. So even if you have an out of state with say no points or 2 points and you get pulled over in NY, you will be arrested. Assuming you exceeded the NY points, which is pretty easy to do. Some of us live in other states, but drive through NY regularly. That's the issue.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:31 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

. Some of us live in other states, but drive through NY regularly. That's the issue.
Yes exactly! Some of the nicest drives in southwest CT have you cross the state line multiple times, that alone could become a problem.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:57 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default this is a poor strategy

Which may cause your insurance rates to rise or.loss of your license. This is a paticularly poor strategy for 20+ over. Pay to play make it go away seems like simple math. Sure your giving them money but you got caught and there is an easy way out. Your attorney shows up for you as well. Time is more valuable than money.

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Over the past thirty years I have received tickets in nearly every state in the northeast. Never had any additional fees nor civil threats because I plead guilty and pay the fine immediately. IMHO all these others suggesting getting lawyers and fighting it and all are wasting their time and money.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:48 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG

No it doesn't. With a NJ license your insurance company is only notified when a driver accumulates more than 3 points on their NJ license. It does not matter how many points the NY violation is, NJ only gives you 2 points. NY State will not notify the OPs insurance company of the violation.

As I posted back in post #6 I went through this very same scenario two years ago..
Old 01-05-2020, 12:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Which may cause your insurance rates to rise or.loss of your license. This is a paticularly poor strategy for 20+ over. Pay to play make it go away seems like simple math. Sure your giving them money but you got caught and there is an easy way out. Your attorney shows up for you as well. Time is more valuable than money.
No it doesn't. With a NJ license your insurance company is only notified when a driver accumulates more than 3 points on their NJ license. It does not matter how many points the NY violation is, NJ only gives you 2 points. NY State will not notify the OPs insurance company of the violation.

As I posted back in post #6 I went through this very same scenario two years ago..
Old 01-05-2020, 12:51 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

NY state has the ability to suspend driving privileges in NY, regardless of licensed state. So even if you have an out of state with say no points or 2 points and you get pulled over in NY, you will be arrested. Assuming you exceeded the NY points, which is pretty easy to do. Some of us live in other states, but drive through NY regularly. That's the issue.
True but this is only a 6 point violation. That is not enough for a suspension in NY. He would have to get 11 points within 18 months for a suspension. So all the OP has to do is pay the fine and drive clean when in NY for the next 2 years and all the points will drop off his NY record.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 01-05-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:13 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
There's a town in NY state where if they bust you the cop almost encourages you to appeal the ticket. A few months later you get called to show up one night, together with other 100 people or more, stand in line, talk to the Chief of police, accept his proposed downgrade (usually to parking next to a fire hydrant or that kind of thing), go in front of the judge for 15 seconds or so, then they take your credit card right there in the room with the judge. Not cheap, I had to pay $325 I think for going 60 in a 45 area, but no need for lawyers and at least you avoid the points.
I applaud this approach by the municipality as I do all honest transactions. This way, it's not in the guise of something else. It's honest. It's about revenue.
The following users liked this post:
0luke1 (01-10-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 07:10 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Over the past thirty years I have received tickets in nearly every state in the northeast. Never had any additional fees nor civil threats because I plead guilty and pay the fine immediately. IMHO all these others suggesting getting lawyers and fighting it and all are wasting their time and money.
Not a waste of time and money. This is a 6 point ticket in the state of NY, which conveniently gets you this stupid surcharge on top of the original ticket. Again no one will ever tell you about it until you've plead guilty. If its a sub 6 point ticket, you are right, likely not worth it. With this little hidden tax, its worth fighting.

https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/how-pay-d...ity-assessment

If you receive 6 points on your driver record for violations committed during a period of 18 months, the annual assessment is $100. The minimum amount that you must pay each year is the annual assessment. The total assessment for the three years is $300.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 08:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NiteJav
Not a waste of time and money. This is a 6 point ticket in the state of NY, which conveniently gets you this stupid surcharge on top of the original ticket. Again no one will ever tell you about it until you've plead guilty. If its a sub 6 point ticket, you are right, likely not worth it. With this little hidden tax, its worth fighting.

https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/how-pay-d...ity-assessment

If you receive 6 points on your driver record for violations committed during a period of 18 months, the annual assessment is $100. The minimum amount that you must pay each year is the annual assessment. The total assessment for the three years is $300.
You seem to be missing the fact that the OP has a NJ drivers license. New York can not access surcharges on on a NJ licensed driver.

You also seem to to have missed that I was in exact same situation two years ago, see post #6, and I plead guilty, pay the fine and that was is it. No extra fees, no surcharges because I have a NJ license. New York can not do anything to me.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:20 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Doesn't matter, I have a PA license, if you do not pay that, your license (even if its from another state) is suspended in NY. They then send letters to your state level DMV saying they have suspended your license in their state, which will cause your state to start giving your grief from their level. (similar to collecting a DUI in another state that subsequently suspends your license there) Same with insurance etc. If you ever drive into NY again and get stopped you will be subject to arrest for the unpaid fine. If you plan to never ever drive in NY again, you're right, screw the fine and walk away. Maybe in your scenario the ticket was under the 6 point threshold, which is where this mess all begins.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Questions (NY State)