Notices

Speeding Ticket Questions (NY State)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 10:14 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
If it's Westchester I would hire Harold Dee. I was given a ticket that made no sense in Westchester for 12 points. As a CT licensed driver, which would have amounted to revoked driving in NY. My first ticket in over 10 years. Harold got it thrown out. Worth the cost.
How does revoked driving work? If they catch you driving across the state line they arrest you?
Old 01-03-2020, 10:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Another reason not to visit NY--or these days almost any state in the northeast or west coast.
What??? He was doing 91mph in a 65 zone. What did you think was going to happen? The Police would pull him over and give him a get out jail free card?

And what makes Colorado, or any place else, so different? I got ticket doing 75 in 50mph zone driving into Gunnison from Monarch Mountain and I deserved it. I was speeding.
The following users liked this post:
The Ox (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:31 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Next time start 30 miles west. You can drive any speed you want in Vermont while puffing on your Bong, as long as you are in a Subaru wagon with a "Bernie 2020" sticker and they let you go.
The following 6 users liked this post by clembo:
Carlo_Carrera (01-03-2020), Freddie Two Bs (01-04-2020), Honda (01-13-2020), PCA1983 (01-04-2020), The Ox (01-03-2020), worf928 (01-04-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:39 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Another reason not to visit NY--or these days almost any state in the northeast or west coast.
Really? What are you (legally) smoking up there in Colorado? No speeding tickets for 91 in a 65?
Old 01-03-2020, 10:55 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 215 Posts

Just go to court and when they ask, plead not guilty and ask for them to lower the violation to a non moving one, with no points. Pay the fines and go. If you have a clean driving record, you might be ok. But again, 91 in a 65 on 87 is tough. I live in N NJ and I travel on 87 all the time and never go over 65, the state troopers are always out there.
PJ Cayenne (01-21-2024)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:56 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
How does revoked driving work? If they catch you driving across the state line they arrest you?
yes, and I live on the border and work in NY. Not a risk one can take. They take away your right to drive in their state regardless of licensed state.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:18 AM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
So...... I was a bit too enthusiastic (and irresponsible) with the right pedal today and got nabbed on Route 87 doing 91 in a 65.... first speeding ticket in 9 years, and first one in the state of NY...

Would anyone be so kind as to advise on the best route to avoid points and the ticket (if possible)? I am an out of state driver (live in NJ)
No Waze? No radar? No brainer!
Old 01-04-2020, 06:48 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Ok, so I stumbled upon this thread and I happen to be a life long NY resident living in CT for the last 10 years or so.
First off, NJ isnt like other states, They ONLY care about the money. If you go to court the prosecutor will offer you anything and everything to avoid a trial, minimize points, and maximize cash fines for the state.

New York is the only state I know of that does NOT offer a plea bargain. They will NOT reduce the charge or drop the charges. No negotiating, not even with a lawyer. That is the law in NY.
You pay it or you fight it. If you pay it then you admit guilt and get the points, insurance hit and pay the fine. This is why so many people fight it in NY, plead not guilty and roll the dice and the courts know that.

In NY it is a MYTH that if the cop doesnt show that the case gets dropped. Thats BS in NY, If the cop is a no show then the case is rescheduled, Usually, if he is a no show a second time then its tossed, but not always.

If your lawyer is really well connected, he can get it tossed on a technicality if he's tight with the prosecutor, but not so easy and the Judge still has to sign off, which he always does because he doesnt GAF and is overwhelmed with cases so the Prosecutor really is the key.

Beating a laser or radar ticket is also very difficult. The cops know the tricks, they will "prove" the equipment is calibrated and up to date even if they have to lie and backdate inspection. Ask me how I know

Its a tough road to fight it, less than 5% chance to prevail but, again, because of the way the NY courts are structured you have nothing to lose by fighting it except time. Plus, you can cross examine the cop and get some satisfaction making him look foolish, but thats not gonna be enough to prevail.. GL, keep us posted.
tourenwagen (01-07-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 08:33 AM
911Monte
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot of info in this thread. Lawyers, court dates with long shot odds, rescheduling, revoking driving privileges. All those options are more work than they are worth.

Seems to me the best path forward is to own it, pay the fines and higher insurance and just be more careful for a bit?
Old 01-04-2020, 08:47 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Ok, so I stumbled upon this thread and I happen to be a life long NY resident living in CT for the last 10 years or so.
First off, NJ isnt like other states, They ONLY care about the money. If you go to court the prosecutor will offer you anything and everything to avoid a trial, minimize points, and maximize cash fines for the state.

New York is the only state I know of that does NOT offer a plea bargain. They will NOT reduce the charge or drop the charges. No negotiating, not even with a lawyer. That is the law in NY.
You pay it or you fight it. If you pay it then you admit guilt and get the points, insurance hit and pay the fine. This is why so many people fight it in NY, plead not guilty and roll the dice and the courts know that.

In NY it is a MYTH that if the cop doesnt show that the case gets dropped. Thats BS in NY, If the cop is a no show then the case is rescheduled, Usually, if he is a no show a second time then its tossed, but not always.

If your lawyer is really well connected, he can get it tossed on a technicality if he's tight with the prosecutor, but not so easy and the Judge still has to sign off, which he always does because he doesnt GAF and is overwhelmed with cases so the Prosecutor really is the key.

Beating a laser or radar ticket is also very difficult. The cops know the tricks, they will "prove" the equipment is calibrated and up to date even if they have to lie and backdate inspection. Ask me how I know

Its a tough road to fight it, less than 5% chance to prevail but, again, because of the way the NY courts are structured you have nothing to lose by fighting it except time. Plus, you can cross examine the cop and get some satisfaction making him look foolish, but thats not gonna be enough to prevail.. GL, keep us posted.
I think this post has inaccuracies. Part of the job the lawyer does is rescheduling a few rounds, right off the bat. Part of that is so the cop is unable to be there. Part of that is so the prosecutor or judge that are working have a relationship with your attorney. Aside from that, all municipalities across states are willing to remove a ticket and replace it with a "fine" which goes to "charity" and the end destination of the money is set by the prosecutor or judge. That is highly appealing to them. That can easily play in NY. With a lawyer, someone who knows the county well like the party I suggested, the chances of beating a ticket are much higher than 5%?? More like the opposite, 5% chance it doesn't work out. The danger is the points. You can't really take points on a big ticket like this. It can jeopardize ones license. Especially if a second ticket were to occur. Also, let's assume you already had a ticket and this was the second. You'd need the lawyer just to reschedule which can push things out 6 months or more. Allowing time for the points on the first ticket to come off the record.

Last edited by Ceepe; 01-05-2020 at 12:02 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ceepe:
0luke1 (01-05-2020), Freddie Two Bs (01-04-2020), Larson E. Rapp (01-22-2024)
Old 01-04-2020, 09:46 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default clerk

Call the clerk for the traffic court. Ask them who the attorneys are they see the most. Tell said attorney it has to be dropped to a bad signal or.something due to your employment. No judge wants to cause someone to lose a job (then they cant pay anymore fines). Pay attorney. Call said attorney to find out court date. They will continue it at least once probably twice if they are worthwhile. Monitor these actvities with their office. Reinterate you need this to go away for your job. Magically it will go away.

Pay to play. An attorney in their "courtroom workgroup" will have a much better chance than you. Here in florida we have the ticket clinic who have all the judges on speed dial. $75 and it goes away. Dont pay over 250 for the lawyer. You will pay a higher fine but it never happened. The best you would get on your own is a reduction but still points.

Honda (01-13-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 10:17 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 255 Posts

Another option is to just pay the fine. A lot less drama, less time lost, and your integrity survives. We all know the rules of the game before we ever pull out of our garage. The particulars of any State and anecdotes are always interesting but not compelling. How many times have any of us exceeded the speed limit (perhaps by a lot) and didn't get caught? I always look at a speeding ticket as the price to pay for speeding and recognize that for the one you got this time, think of all the times you didn't get one. Makes it a little easier to swallow. Good luck and hope it works out well for you.

BTW, post a picture of your car or it didn't happen.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:41 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Another option is to just pay the fine. A lot less drama, less time lost, and your integrity survives. We all know the rules of the game before we ever pull out of our garage. The particulars of any State and anecdotes are always interesting but not compelling. How many times have any of us exceeded the speed limit (perhaps by a lot) and didn't get caught? I always look at a speeding ticket as the price to pay for speeding and recognize that for the one you got this time, think of all the times you didn't get one. Makes it a little easier to swallow. Good luck and hope it works out well for you.

BTW, post a picture of your car or it didn't happen.
+25 mph over is not just pay a fine and move on territory. They like to play with your freedoms in NY and CT. Some tickets are written as misdemeanors, as was a recent ticket I got in CT. A CT lawyer friend of mine got that one thrown out as well. I don't see why anyone would advise someone to plead guilty unless you're the cop who wrote the ticket.

Last edited by Ceepe; 01-04-2020 at 02:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ceepe:
0luke1 (01-05-2020), AlexCeres (01-04-2020), mashoutposse (07-18-2024), NA991NY (01-07-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 12:54 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

FIGHT IT! I was from PA and got nabbed a long time ago in NY. Ticket didn't seem bad so I paid (~$125) then those commies came after me for another $300 from some unsafe driver fine or some crap. Trust me, lawyer up. This sort of a ticket would fall into that additional unsafe driver tax they don't tell you about.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:52 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

The only misinformation I provided was that I believed that NO municipalities in NY State could offer a plea bargain. That is incorrect.
In the 5 boroughs of NY, there is no ability to plea bargain. Its either Guilty or NOT Guilty. Outside of the 5 boroughs, things are different.

If you receive a TVB speeding ticket, that means your case is being heard in the Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB). The TVB handles traffic court cases involving violations committed in the 5 boroughs of NYC (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and Staten Island).
The Traffic Violations Bureau operates under its own separate rules and handles traffic ticket matters very differently than regular NY traffic courts. For starters, the TVB does not allow for plea bargaining. If you receive a NY speeding ticket and your case is being heard by the TVB, you can only plead guilty or not guilty.
However, if you receive a NY speeding ticket in an area outside of the 5 boroughs, then your speeding ticket case will be held in regular traffic court. In regular traffic court, it is possible to enter into a plea bargain with a prosecutor and plead guilty to a reduced charge.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS-BRG:
Alsohers (01-21-2024), mashoutposse (07-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Questions (NY State)