Notices

Good shop for alignment in NOVA (tysons->dulles area)

Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 PM
Hass_Geschafte
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Good shop for alignment in NOVA (tysons->dulles area)

997.2 C2. Just replaced tie rods. Considering going to Firestone in McLean to take advantage of the "lifetime" alignment option, as I'll be doing more suspension bits when it warms up in a few months. But as a big chain I'm guessing they won't let me stand by the tech and sign off on the readings before calling it done - the "set the toe and go" halfass aligns geared towards volume shops servicing camry's.

Likewise I'd rather not spend more than $200, knowing it will have to be done again soon after other changes. Used to go to Curry's on rt7 before they sold to Mr. Tire.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:46 PM
Hass_Geschafte
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To close this loop - I made an appointment at TiresPlus, who also offer a $200 "lifetime" alignment. When I got in there, the guy said they didn't work on 911's. Asked why. "We don't have the specs". So, if I gave you the specs? "We don't have the tools". But you have a Hunter, right? "We just don't do them. We always have problems". Well okay then.

Ended up taking it to my local Porsche Dealer In Tysons. Not well pleased with the results. They didn't touch anything but the toe, and clearly didn't make an effort to even get that to match side to side. Just got it in the green and quit. I got the service manager and pointed out that it was clear that very little effort had gone into the work. He just furrowed his brow at it a lot as though the numbers were going to change. Kind of sheepishly said they usually just get it into the green. I asked if appending desired specs to the work order beforehand would make any difference. He thought it would, said "the track guys" sometimes ask.

I was just surprised that at $200, they didn't make any effort to adjust camber, caster, thrust angle or to try to get anything to match side to side.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:08 PM
flaakcm
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the future, try reaching out to Mach V (Five) in Sterling. They are just down Rt. 7 near Dulles mall. They work on a variety of cars, mostly Subaru and BMW. However, they do a good amount of track car setups for customers and their techs have always been honest. From my experience and the experience of others, the techs will work with you to try to get your car as close to the specs as you would like.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:02 PM
ajgordin
Advanced

I went to Porsche Bethesda for mine. $179 if i recall correctly.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:53 AM
300_munkeys
3rd Gear

Go to RRT in Sterling, or GT Peace in Chantilly. They work on a lot of track and full race cars so they will align it however you like. And both are under $200.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:26 PM
Lo911TTS
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche Bethesda is very reasonable compared to other Porsche Dealers in our area.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:26 PM
alex2364
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 for RRT in Sterling. But anytime you want an exact alignment, you should always tell them exactly what you want before they start. Otherwise they will just halfass it thinking you're not going to care. I always tell them I want all the specs aligned right in the middle, both side matching exactly the same.

I would have made Porsche of Tysons redo the alignment to what you want or demand a refund. If they won't do either than call your credit card company and dispute the charge.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:41 AM
aakula
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intersport Auto sales in Tysons is a great spot. Charlie is one of the best mechanics and they specialize in Porsche track cars.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:52 PM
nccbmwcca
Track Day

I recommend RRT in Sterling as well. They do awesome work.

Also of note, Curry now owns Craftsman Auto Care. There is one in Chantilly, and one in Fairfax by the Government Center and he just opened one in Merrifield. Check out CraftsmanAutoCare.com
Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 PM
flatt6
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

ASG- Auto Sportsystems Group in Fairfax.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good shop for alignment in NOVA (tysons->dulles area)