Notices

Cayman has been at dealer for repairs for 6 months for a dent, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Turk_Malloy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman has been at dealer for repairs for 6 months for a dent, what do I do?

I have an 08 Cayman. In December, somebody bumped my quarter panel and left a large dent, still totally driveable.

I took it to the Porsche Fairfield (CT) dealer and they sent me to Fairfield Collision, which is apparently their primary collision repair center.

Long story short, there have been a staggering number of delays and "new problems" and I have been without my car for half a year now, and am having to pay for my rental out of pocket.

I'm a little lost as to what to do, since I have no leverage, no way to know what's true, and really no recourse. Looking for any suggestions. Details below:

Accident happens late December.

The guy's insurance is paying for everything, no problem. They start working on it in February, saying it'll be a couple weeks.

2/21 they say there is extra damage, and the repairs have gone from $8.5k to $12.3k. No problem, other guy's insurance is paying, we keep chugging.

3/20 they say that the panel is still on back order. Several days of back and forth what to do. I email a couple times asking what's going on, basically they tell me they have no idea when it will arrive.

4/x - several progressively longer estimates of how long it will take the quarter panel to arrive.

6/13 we decide that they should just go ahead and repair the quarter panel (why was this option never presented in the first place?). They say it will take 2-3 weeks.

6/26 they say it is taking longer than expected, but I will have it by 7/5. Also, at this time I am informed that the other guy's insurance company (plymouth rock) is going to stop paying for my rental.

7/6 still no car.I am told it will be end of next week.

7/13 still no car. Am told it will be another week,they are waiting on one bracket and the final dealer check.

7/20 still no car. Am told there is some issue with the airbag (why did this never come up before? I just had my car serviced, and nothing came up on any of their initial checks), that will cost an additional $1.8k to fix. This is the details:

Rick contacted the independent adjuster first thing this morning to make him aware of the situation as the insurance company would have to approve the repair as the airbag alone is 1787.97 and would require additional funding to have it ordered VOR (vehicle off road) as it is coming from Germany if not ordered VOR it could take several weeks and we don’t want that. Trust me when I say we were hoping to have this done and back to you by now but vehicles and parts are complex.

I just called the adjuster trying to get an answer and he contacted Plymouth Rock but it appears they had to go higher up the ladder at Plymouth to get an answer. I just received a call back and Plymouth has approved the part and ordering it VOR so they missed the 3:00 deadline but it will get ordered on Monday. I will touch base you as soon as I get an expected eta on the part. Usually Porsche has 48 hours to respond with an eta.

Any advice welcomed! Also, unrelated, I was in the market for a 2015 or 2016 Targa, but this whole experience is turning me off from owning a Porsche. How atypical is this?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:30 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Delays for repairs seem to be the norm, but six months is ridiculous. I bought a car from Fairfield several years ago and had nothing but bad experiences with their service department. Sounds like your issue is with their collision/body shop, but just adding my two cents. You should consider Wallingford or Hoffman for future purchases/service.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Start a suit for loss of use and diminished value.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 PM
Lo911TTS
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This issue should not deter you from owning a future Porsche but it should deter you from using the Fairfield dealership and Fairfield collision in the future.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:23 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

is your insurance company involved? they should be negotiating w/ the other party or covering your claims and then going after in subrogation
I would also advise the other insurance company they will pay for your rental
call lawyer and draft a nasty note to all parties involved.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:45 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

What does airbag have to do with a quarter panel dent? I think dealer is milking insurance for money.

Have you stopped by the shop to make sure your car is there and

Quick Reply: Cayman has been at dealer for repairs for 6 months for a dent, what do I do?