Notices

CPO Repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Heat
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Repaint?

I bought a 2015 Boxster in July '16, CPO with only 4K miles from a Porsche dealer in the Southeast. Clean CarFax and no issues on the "111 point CPO checklist" or noted by the salesman/manager. Fantastic car, but due to military reassignment timing/location, I had to part with it this week and learned the hood had been repainted. The first Porsche dealer I tried to sell it to this week checked paint depth and he also noted swirls and imperfections in the hood...he passed on buying my car.

I called the dealer I bought it from, and he fessed up that the car was hit by a rock while on his lot, so he "shot the panel" (i.e. he repainted the entire hood). No apology or reason given why he didn't tell me before I bought it.

Thankfully, I sold it to a different Porsche dealer who also noted a rear panel was repainted. In two dealer's opinions, I should have been informed about the re-painting and negotiated a lower price as a result, but the dealer I bought it from assures me that it's "not an issue" to repaint panels of no collision involved.

I'll chalk it up to life experience, and more carefully check paint on even a CPO car bought from a Porsche dealer. Is what he did unethical, and should I file a complaint? Thanks!
Old 05-25-2017, 02:27 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Repaint and body work is allowed under PAG CPO checklist. See attached.

A CPO'ed car does not get you a showroom quality car; CPO is nothing more than an extra two years on the factory warranty.

Any car salesman will sell his/her mother to make a sale.

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
CPO checklist.pdf (579.9 KB, 274 views)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Heat
4th Gear

Evidently, though I hoped for better from Porsche. New cars aren't immune either, so long as it's not on the CarFax, anything goes. In the future, I'll bring my own paint measuring device or have the car looked at by an outside inspector. Lesson learned and buyer beware...

This is similar to what the dealers used this week:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW4XRBM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1495737621&sr=8-11&keywords=auto+paint+thickness+meter

Last edited by Heat; 05-26-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:30 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's approach this a different way; how does the car look, how does the paint and effected body panels function?

Way too much is made of stuff like this. I could see it with an extremely rare trophy car worth hundreds of thousands of dollars that is driven a few miles every year and otherwise rests on a lift in an automobile mausoleum.

But a Boxster?

I'm not talking about camouflaged major body and frame damage that some seller or shop or dealer is trying to hide; we are talking about something the importance level of paint swirls.

Why not worry about the sort of thing that really matters, serious mechanical problems that could cost many thousands of dollars? Random people walking around with paint depth meters looking at common cars that are going to be driven and parked in supermarket or Costco parking lots?

Get real; normal people don't worry about nonsense like this.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:07 AM
Heat
4th Gear

I couldn't agree more, unfortunately it matters to some people, notably both Porsche dealers I tried to sell it to.

As a update, tonight I spoke to the GM at the dealership I bought it from last year. He apologized, said there was a paperwork mistake and it wasn't a standard business practice. Dealers can repaint up to three panels and still qualify for CPO, but they typically inform the customer, just an oversight in my case. He offered the amount of the repaint, which he said should have been deducted from original sale price.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:24 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
I couldn't agree more, unfortunately it matters to some people, notably both Porsche dealers I tried to sell it to.

As a update, tonight I spoke to the GM at the dealership I bought it from last year. He apologized, said there was a paperwork mistake and it wasn't a standard business practice. Dealers can repaint up to three panels and still qualify for CPO, but they typically inform the customer, just an oversight in my case. He offered the amount of the repaint, which he said should have been deducted from original sale price.
If it is any consolation to you, the 2003 996 Turbo that I just bought last week, with 75,000 miles on it, had its hood and front bumper repainted due to rock chips, disclosed by the seller when I was considering buying the vehicle. I considered it a plus; who wants to look at rock chips every time you wash and/or wax the car?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:38 AM
Heat
4th Gear

Sweet car! Have fun! My next Porsche is a 911 for sure.

I'd have still bought the Boxster, just would have been helpful to have had the repaint paperwork for resale.

BTW, I turned the GM down...I wasn't after money, appreciated the apology and asked him to call the dealer I sold it to and explain the situation, which he did.

Quick Reply: CPO Repaint?