DIY endoscope/borescope recommendation please

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:34 AM
Gary_M
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY endoscope/borescope recommendation please

Good morning.

I am about to pull the trigger on a late 2000's 997 and am thinking that I might have a peek inside the cylinders myself. Accordingly, I'm looking at available bore/endoscopes and reading reviews.

There are some pretty good lists and the vast majority I've read list the same few as their top picks. Not sure if I can post links here, but the most commonly #1 rated is the Teslong NTS150RS ($170CAD (~$120USD)) followed closely by USB models like the Depstech 1200P (< $100 CAD). There's also a highly recommended unit from Ridgid, but the head looks to be too big for a spark plug bore so that's off the list

The USB (and/or bluetooth) ones look cool and the price point is certainly attractive but I'm not convinced that the illumination capability and resolution are adequate for looking at cylinder walls. I could be wrong; I usually am

Does anybody have a recommendation for a home mechanic?

Cheers!

Gary

P.S. Please also feel free to let me know if you have one that you want to turn into cash.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:45 PM
Hey_Allen
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

This is probably not the proper forum for an inquiry, but here's my experience.

I've used one of the little USB endoscopes for a while, and found that the dimmer on the cord is actually a necessity, once you get the camera down into a small confined area on a car.

I was not particularly impressed with the "WiFi adapter" model one that a friend gave me, but it was easily used by plugging it directly into a computer or Android device and using it as a generic USB camera, instead of trying to get some unknown software to identify the video stream from the usb-wifi module.

All in all, I'd suggest buying or borrowing one of the little cheap ones, and seeing if it'll cut it for your needs, before coughing up for the fancier options.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:31 AM
Gary_M
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey_Allen
I've used one of the little USB endoscopes for a while, and found that the dimmer on the cord is actually a necessity, once you get the camera down into a small confined area on a car.
Thanks for the reply and for the info on brightness; that was one of my biggest concerns.

Cheers!

Gary

Quick Reply: DIY endoscope/borescope recommendation please