Notices
DIY - Boxster & Cayman DIY DIYs for all Boxster & Cayman models. (986, 987, 981, 982)

ICarsoft Por v2 Diagnostic tool - detailed user review

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 07:19 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by arne
Can you see if the POR v3.0 can code a new battery?
the manual states that it can and I see the option when connected. I haven’t actually tried resetting it.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:28 PM
Rennen-Affe
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the option to reset and serialize the battery, it's common to put the date the new battery is in service.

Long post is long. Very thorough though
Old 06-01-2022, 03:22 PM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 58 Posts

@Ubermensch or other POR3.0 tool owners, do you have a Boxster? If so, can you "activate" the convertible roof opening (therefor bypassing the console switch)?
I was able to using a durametric pro cable when I rented one a while back and am trying to find out if the POR3.0 or Foxwell NT530 can too.

Cheers,
Julian
Old 06-02-2022, 08:12 AM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Great review - I use a friends iCarSoft POR II on my 987.2 S and just upgraded the software for him. Longest single page I've ever seen on web?????

"​​​​​​Next to the mini USB connector there is a micro card slot. This comes preinstalled with a 256MB card. I have not tested out what this card holds but the unit does have a facility to record test results which are written to this card......it may hold the actual dignosis software but I have not bothered to check that as I presume its either hidden or on programmable memory within the unit ie to avoid piracy ?"

The micro card holds the software apparently. The company had me put the card in the card reader that comes with the unit (which was defective) and download the new software to the card. Worked fine once I had a good card reader - just took me and a son a while to diagnose why software would not download to micro card.

Unit is great, I've used it to cancel a number of error codes from battery failure, faulty air bag warning signals and more. I'd buy one but my 997.1 friend lives close to me and I can always use his.

Highly recommend.

On another note, think the battery management system started with the 981's and is not in 987's.......which would imply same for 991's & not 997's.

Anyone know for sure?

iCarSoft unit would not read, diagnose or reset my "Dynamic cornering light failure." Dealer had to do that - they say I need a new cornering light control unit for $961.

TIA,

GN
Old 06-02-2022, 08:14 AM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

POR III unit is a lot more expensive.

Wondering what we'd get with it that is not in the POR II unit?

3 of us might buy it together if difference is significant.

GN

Originally Posted by Julian_KCMO
@Ubermensch or other POR3.0 tool owners, do you have a Boxster? If so, can you "activate" the convertible roof opening (therefor bypassing the console switch)?
I was able to using a durametric pro cable when I rented one a while back and am trying to find out if the POR3.0 or Foxwell NT530 can too.

Cheers,
Julian
Old 06-02-2022, 10:09 AM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 58 Posts

I believe the main difference is the apparent ability to "activate" certain things rather than just read a sensor, ie. you can't lower the drivers window with the switch on the door, plug in the POR3.0 and tell it to open the window (bypassing the switch etc.). If the window lowers you know it's not the mechanism or the motor and you can work back from there. POR2.0 can only see that you've pushed window switch or not.

Cheers,
Julian
Old 08-13-2022, 11:39 AM
eurothunder
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

97 base boxster here.... this post got me so excited, and i have to wonder: Would a unit like this be able to activate the onboard computer for the 97-00 Boxster? On paper only Porsche dealer w the PIWIS were able to, but is this system able to activate it????
The following users liked this post:
Rudybuck (12-15-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 08:08 AM
Pablos007
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great post and useful to see the screens in action. Thanks.

I've just bought the POR-II to run checks on my Macan and have just updated the software, will connect and check the car at the weekend.

It's a compact unit and I'll keep it in the boot of the car in case anything happens on a journey.

I've used VAGCOM previously on my VW/Audi's and am looking for something similar for the Macan that is reasonably priced so I can do some coding.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:31 PM
johnkhobson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got V2.0 for Porsche to code a new battery for my 981 GT4. Cheaper by +$100 than later versions, but the input is primitive cursor and enter buttons (NOT touchscreen). Tried to enter my battery scanner/serial number but was rejected. From various discussions I guessed it wanted 15 characters. My battery was only 14, so guessed to prepend a zero, which was accepted. This is bad programming.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:48 PM
yardpro
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i have the porII.. has been a pretty good unit.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:32 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

I wanted to resurrect this thread, to see up to which year the V2 works. I have the multi-car unit, but it's V2, so the Porsche version looks just like the one initially posted here. I used it on a 2018 Macan Sport Edition, but just got a 2022 Macan GTS, and I'm waiting for a '24 Cayman Style Edition. Curious if I can use the scanner on the 2022 GTS. The GTS still has an extra service prepaid, so won't need it for that until 2 years from now. Also curious if the V2 unit can read and clear codes, and if yes, anything other than OBD2 ones? Thanks.

And to contribute a little, to code a battery, just use the 11-digit Porsche part number: 95861109521. And for the serial #, use 15 digits. I think I used the actual serial #, and added the needed zeroes at the beginning, to make them 15 digits. I bought an H8 AGM battery at Walmart, and coded it without an issue... after 1/2-hr messing with the stupid thing. Ha ha. So trying to save you guys having to do that. Did the service reset much easier; that one was pretty much self explanatory. Oh, and yes, when you're prompted with several options that we have no idea what the heck they mean, I always chose either the highest version, or the first one on the list. Ha ha. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: ICarsoft Por v2 Diagnostic tool - detailed user review